View Full Version : Help Knee Pain

singerskates
05-09-2004, 02:31 PM
I don't know when it started to hurt other than it was sometime this week. I've got this nagging sharp sparatic pain to the right of my right knee cap off and on the the ice. I don't know why it's happened and I'm hoping it will go away before the Ann Arbour Spring Skate. My doc wants me to jump less but how can I with a competition in two weeks to do? When I told my coach about the pain showing her where she got a sick feeling. So now I have a bum landing leg knee but the good news is that I haven't lost any strength in the knee yet.

I'm not withdrawing. I still can stand, so I will skate. So what if I come in last place. Although I do think I still can do pretty well. Here's hoping that the Bronze Ladies event is an awesome event for all thoughs competing.

Brigitte

jenlyon60
05-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Recommend you ice it whenever possible, especially soon after you get off the ice.

(I found last year that empty office trash cans turned upside down made good "leg proppers", and the 1-quart size double-strength zip-lock bags made good ice pack bags for work.)

plinko
05-10-2004, 08:10 AM
Get to a physiotherapist, fast!

Two things: They can do some treatment, ultrasound etc to make things feel better and loosen up, and they can diagnose, to a certain extent what it might be. Some kneecap problems are caused by an inbalance in the muscles in the knee, pulling the kneecap out of alignment and a physio can look for that and recommend strengthening ideas. Of course there's all kinds of other ugly knee problems it could be and I'd also recommend a visit to a physician.

Knee problems don't go away, they're a symptom of something else so don't ignore it.

oroetlaboro
05-10-2004, 11:04 AM
My daughter had knee pain in her landing knee that began 2 weeks before a really important (to her) competition. We all decided that it was better to check it out and get it taken care of rather than risk further injury that might keep her out of skating for a much longer time - or worse. It almost broke her heart to have to withdraw from that competition, but she did. She had an MRI, went to an orthopedic surgeon, and things have turned out even better than planned. She was off the ice for 2.5 weeks, and it took almost 2 more weeks before she could jump, but now she'll be competing in less than 2 weeks in pretty good form when we thought she'd surely have to withdraw. In the meantime, we've learned so much about injury prevention, proper training on and off the ice, etc., and she's refocused on being more of a well-rounded skater rather than just a great jumper. We all feel she's actually better off now than she was before! I read her your post (she's 11) and she said to tell you not to be crazy - get off the ice and get it taken care of; there will be other competitions. Good luck!

singerskates
05-15-2004, 11:44 PM
Thanks, but I am lucky. Rest, Advils, ice, stretching and exercises took care of the pain. It was scary for about a week and a half. The pain has gone away. I think it was just over use and doing too many loops and flips in a row working on them. I cut down the number of attemps on loops and flips and the knee feels much better. I'm now completely off of Advils and ice ( not rink ice... I'm still skating.).