View Full Version : Skaters jumping on Moves ice

Schmeck
05-08-2004, 10:54 AM
Icy had her lesson today, and I noticed two skaters doing jumps while getting instruction during moves in the field ice time. Their coaches were actually instructing them to do jumps during moves time!

We're not members of this particular fs club, so I don't know what to do. The jumping did cut into my daughter's moves work, but I don't want to be the 'tattler', or cause friction at this rink. Should I mention it to rink management, or my daughter's coach, or what?

dbny
05-08-2004, 11:04 AM
I would ask the coach about it. If it's club ice, then the club makes the rules, and can choose to exercise them as it will. The sessions I skate on are designated freestyle by the rink (no club at that rink), but are really combined freestyle & moves. They even let basic skills kids on, with a coach.

twokidsskatemom
05-08-2004, 12:57 PM
I guess it would depend on the club rules or rink rules.We have all kinds of kids on our ice, from basic without a coach, like my dd, to the ice dancers who went to jr nationals this year.They all just learn to watch and move.
Maybe you could ask your dd coach?

Kelli
05-08-2004, 08:06 PM
My rink has designated moves and freestyle sessions, but occasionally on emptier sessions a skater in a lesson might be doing freestyle. I've done this once with my coach because I was testing the following week, but she asked every other coach present to make sure it was ok with them. I didn't jump for most of the session, so we kind of stayed in one corner to work on spins. But I did try to stay out of other skaters' ways, especially ones having a lesson since their coaches were sort of doing me a favor.

LWalsh
05-10-2004, 01:08 PM
At my rink it is acceptable to jump on a moves session but *only* if you are in a lesson.

blue111moon
05-13-2004, 06:54 AM
On club ice, Moves sessions are moves only - no jumping or spinning or programs, but we do allow dancers to practice patterns on moves because we don't have a dance-only session or the dancers to support one. Moves are allowed on Free skate sessions as long as the moves person understands that the free skaters have the right of way.

EquiBabe
05-15-2004, 04:24 AM
At my rink the free sessions includes moves but it seems to be accepted that anyone doing jumps gives way to someone in the middle of a moves pattern.

Maybe you could ask your dd coach?

What is a 'dd coach' please? I've not heard that term before.

ktjadpa
05-21-2004, 03:29 PM
At my club, we have 3 different skill levels, so we are on the ice with people of the same skills. If they are in a group lesson and someone is in a private lesson jumping, or spinning, they watch out because we know to respect the coaches when they are in a private lesson. Maybe it was set up this way at the club you were at?

twokidsskatemom
05-25-2004, 03:20 PM
At my rink the free sessions includes moves but it seems to be accepted that anyone doing jumps gives way to someone in the middle of a moves pattern.

What is a 'dd coach' please? I've not heard that term before.
dd is dear daughter
ds is dear son