View Full Version : Double question and muscle pain.

Chico
05-05-2004, 10:15 PM
I've worked on doubles off and on for awhile, but just lately regular. I skate five days a week most generally for an hour or so. I've been working on doubles for about 15 minutes or so a session. Anyway, I have the worst cramping in my butt, how embarassing, and upper thigh. The back of the thigh, running from my knee to my butt. It sounds funny, but I hurt. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, how long did this last? As an adult skater I feel like such an old fart! The cramping sorta burns.

Chico

rinsk
05-05-2004, 10:46 PM
Is it on your take-off or landing side? I've got tendonitis and bursitis in my landing-side hip that comes and goes and seems to get aggravated by working on my doubles and certain dances that have a lot of extensions with the leg out to the side. It was pretty bad when I first got it (lasted months) but I seem to do okay with it now by listening to my body (I can generally make it go away pretty quickly if I take it easy, do a lot of icing and a little bit of Advil when it starts up).

Good luck with both the pain and the doubles. If the pain stays or gets worth, might be worth getting it checked out and looking into physio.

backspin
05-06-2004, 09:03 AM
How much stretching are you doing--either on the ice or off? As I get older, I'm learning that I really HAVE to have a regular stretching regimen, or I get stiff & sore. :(

manleywoman
05-06-2004, 10:23 AM
I get calf cramps, and a few things help tremendously:

1) warm up off-ice a lot and stretch the muscle before skating

2) heat the muscle with a heat pack before skating

3) bathe in epsom salts

4) and this one especially...EAT POTASSIUM. Potassium helps a lot with preventing cramping. So Bananas, avocados, and baked potatos should be in your diet. I have a banana smoothie with tofu and frozen berries every night before I skate.

flo
05-06-2004, 10:53 AM
Hi,
What other elements are you working on? Anything with outward hip rotation? Bauers, eagles...? There's a triangular muscle called the periformous that can cramp and be quite painful. It's also called ballerina butt, and common in those with open hips. There are excercises for it, and ways to relax the muscle. Ouch.
Whatever it is, hope you're better soon.

NickiT
05-06-2004, 03:35 PM
Hi,
What other elements are you working on? Anything with outward hip rotation? Bauers, eagles...? There's a triangular muscle called the periformous that can cramp and be quite painful. It's also called ballerina butt, and common in those with open hips. There are excercises for it, and ways to relax the muscle. Ouch.
Whatever it is, hope you're better soon.

That's exactly the cause of my hip pain. I've been having regular physiotherapy on it since February last year and finally I'm starting to skate almost pain-free again, but the big emphasis is on stretching. I stretch before, during and after I skate and I really do find that the stretching in conjuction with the physio helps. I do have very open hips and with the twist in my pelvis following my ankle injury, I really have to look after my muscles now.

Nicki

Chico
05-06-2004, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the support. I'm good about warming up and stretching. In fact, for about a 1/2 an hour before I skate. I don't believe this is part of the problem. The pain issue is only on my right side. Landing side for me. I've been working a ton on double loops. (2loop/loop) I also play with the 2 flip and 2 sal. (2 flip/loop and 2 sal) Maybe I'm just overdoing it all at once. I am very open hipped by the way.... Yep, I am working on spread eagles, "beautiful lunges" and Bauers. I will try eating more bananas and use a heating pad. Seriously, who knew we had so many spots to hurt until we skated?!

Thanks for the support. I appreciated your advice and understanding!

Chico

flo
05-07-2004, 09:40 AM
Hi,
NickiT and Chico - Here's an excercise given to me (and another skater with the same problem) by my physical therapist for the periformous. Sit on a golf ball and roll. The muscle is very deep and the wt. of your body rolling on the golf ball will work the muscle. It's strange, but it works.
Good luck to all.

montanarose
05-07-2004, 11:59 AM
As someone who has long experienced piriformis syndrome, I know way too much about this pesky little muscle! Here's one excellent resource; if anyone is interested I can provide more, but this is a good place to start:

http://www.drpribut.com/sports/piriformis.html

Ellen

NickiT
05-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Hi,
NickiT and Chico - Here's an excercise given to me (and another skater with the same problem) by my physical therapist for the periformous. Sit on a golf ball and roll. The muscle is very deep and the wt. of your body rolling on the golf ball will work the muscle. It's strange, but it works.
Good luck to all.

Thanks for that. I actually do that already as my physiotherapist also recommended it!!! I roll the ball against the wall though and boy does it hurt? She advised not to do it on consecutive days because it really does work the muscles deep and leaves them quite sore afterwards.

Nicki

Michigansk8er
05-07-2004, 06:44 PM
Chico,

You really should get this checked out. It could be sciatica too. This can be caused by Piriformis Syndrome, or could be back related..........and you don't want to end up in the boat I'm in.