View Full Version : have gala tickets - can't go??

melanieuk
07-23-2002, 01:02 PM
I 've got 2 adult gold tickets for the Nottingham ice gala (5th row).
My husband - the driver and navigator from Edinburgh to Nottingham, 250 miles approx - can't go because of a family funeral.
Do I go myself and get lost on the way?
Or on the way back?
I can't afford flight, and don't trust the trains as 1 in 5 seem to derail or get cancelled.
Do I try to give the ticket away and ask for a lift to Nottingham?
I've been looking forward to it, and now I don't know if I can go.

I went to Greece myself once, and flew back from London myself, but driving/travelling myself freaks me out.

Any suggestions?

Patsy
07-23-2002, 03:12 PM
How about a skating friend who's willing to drive--think "this person can be bought for a Gala ticket". I'd throw in buying a meal for them, since they will be driving you.

melanieuk
07-23-2002, 03:47 PM
Tonight, I have asked the one person I can think of who could take time off work, who doesn't have to be home with the kids, who would appreciate the gala and who might be prepared to drive part or all the way.
She says she'll get back to me tomorrow with an answer.
8O

Schmeck
07-23-2002, 04:13 PM
Good luck Mel, we'll be keeping our fingers crossed that your friend answers "YES!"

When is the gala, anyways?

Schmeck, who will be in London this week, on the way to Norway

icenut84
07-23-2002, 04:14 PM
Why don't you ask someone from your rink, i.e. someone you know is already interested in skating? If it's someone who wants to go anyway, I'm sure they'll be so happy to get their hands on a ticket (especially such a good one!) that they will be happy to drive. You can only ask around, if the person you've already asked can't go. It'd be a shame if you had to miss it.

jazzpants
07-24-2002, 12:33 AM
Good luck Mel in finding someone to drive you... Too bad I'm not in your neck of the woods!!! I definitely would have offered (to drive you) in exchange for a 5th row ticket to the Gala!!! :P :D

Cheers,
jazzpants

melanieuk
07-24-2002, 03:12 AM
Scmeck, the gala is on 31st July.
Skaters include B&S, Robin Cousins, Ilia Kulik, Kurt Browning - to name but a few.

My mum (who was babysitting my kids) says she will ....
(I can't believe she's offered to do this)
....pay for 4 return flights to Nottingham, and look after the kids while I go to the gala. 8O

It's morning here. I just have to wait till my friend gets back to me sometime today. :(

Schmeck
07-24-2002, 08:04 AM
Wow! that's so generous of your Mom! :D Hope you get to go!

Rats, I'll be leaving London on the 29th, and not getting back there until the 5th of August. Otherwise, I'd be begging someone for an extra ticket :wink:

Schmeck

melanieuk
07-24-2002, 09:00 AM
Yes it's generous of my mum to offer to pay for 4 flights - [i:96fee662ac]that[/i:96fee662ac] might cost over £350, but it's also crazy. 8O
If I had [i:96fee662ac]that[/i:96fee662ac] kind of money, I would be paying someone to take me there and back in a Roll Royce!!

TashaKat
07-24-2002, 01:16 PM
[quote:b723c7c37e="melanieuk"]Yes it's generous of my mum to offer to pay for 4 flights - [i:b723c7c37e]that[/i:b723c7c37e] might cost over £350, but it's also crazy. 8O
If I had [i:b723c7c37e]that[/i:b723c7c37e] kind of money, I would be paying someone to take me there and back in a Roll Royce!![/quote:b723c7c37e]

£350??? You can get cheaper flights than that with the cheapie companies! Relle and Hols got return flights for last years British for under £40 each!!! Check on the net, Mel. You've been so looking forwards to this ....... otherwise why not the train?? I'm on the Hatfield AND Potters Bar line and still travel ......... come on, it's the Royal Gala .... there isn't going to be a video, you CAN'T miss it!!!!!!!

L xxx

melanieuk
07-24-2002, 02:02 PM
My friend can't go. :cry:
She's suggested I go with another couple from my rink who are driving down. (I didn't know they were going).
But I still have a spare ticket.

dani
07-24-2002, 02:34 PM
Out of curiousity, can you describe the Royal Gala to us over here on this side of the pond? (I guess it would be "that side" to you, but ... ;-)

Hugs!

TashaKat
07-24-2002, 03:41 PM
[quote:8d6b80ca9a="dani"]Out of curiousity, can you describe the Royal Gala to us over here on this side of the pond? (I guess it would be "that side" to you, but ... ;-)

Hugs![/quote:8d6b80ca9a]

Hi Dani :D

It's an hour long performance by people like Marina/Gwendal, Robin Cousins, B&S, Sasha Cohen, Ilia, Steven Cousins etc and some of the UK skaters. T&D are involved but say that they're not skating (shame, am still hoping that they'll be 'suprise' skaters). Oh, and the Queen is going to be there too ;) I'm HOPING that we're allowed to take pictures but knowing the UK they'll confiscate my camera at the door :( UNFORTUNATELY they aren't going to make a video of it (typical) and, as far as I am aware (Mel, help me out here!) it won't be televised either :(

Anyway, there are a few of us going so we'll report back and, if I get any pics will post them on Yahoo Rinksiders (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Rinksiders/) and Yahoo UKskaters (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UKskaters/) oh, and will buy a copy of the programme and reproduce what I can of that too :D

L x

melanieuk
07-25-2002, 02:59 AM
Lynne, you're right - there's no televising.
Sure they'll have copyright laws on the Programme too. :cry:

melanieuk
07-25-2002, 08:19 AM
:lol: YES YES YES!!!!

My friends, a couple who skated at Bracknell this year, are taking me along with them.
I was lucky to get a room at the same hotel as them too.

Gala, here I come! :roll:
I even worked out what to wear. :wink:

melanieuk
07-25-2002, 08:25 AM
[quote:8800b8b499]
I'm HOPING that we're allowed to take pictures but knowing the UK they'll confiscate my camera at the door
L x[/quote:8800b8b499]

[color=brown:8800b8b499]It does say on the reverse of the tickets,
[b:8800b8b499] " The ticket holder is strictly prohibited from bringing cameras and/or recording equipment into the venue..." [/color:8800b8b499][/b:8800b8b499]

Boo Hiss! :evil:

icenut84
07-25-2002, 08:42 AM
[quote:d72ad12665="TashaKat"]It's an hour long performance by people like Marina/Gwendal, Robin Cousins, B&S, Sasha Cohen, Ilia, Steven Cousins etc and some of the UK skaters. T&D are involved but say that they're not skating (shame, am still hoping that they'll be 'suprise' skaters.[/quote:d72ad12665]

Don't forget Kurt and Kristi! :mrgreen: And T&D said in an interview (they were on Open House with Gloria Hunniford a few weeks ago and were talking about it) that they will probably be on the ice (presenting) but won't be performing. Shame. :(

Yazmeen
07-25-2002, 08:43 AM
I have a feeling that camera policy may have to do more with the Royal Family than with the skaters!!! (Can you imagine how many people would be trying to "snap" the Queen, or Charles and Camilla? It could really get out of hand).

I'm so glad you can go!!! Please, please, please provide a FULL report after its done!!

Thanks,

Beth

melanieuk
07-25-2002, 10:10 AM
[quote:f1fecd37b6="Yazmeen"]I have a feeling that camera policy may have to do more with the Royal Family than with the skaters!!! (Can you imagine how many people would be trying to "snap" the Queen, or Charles and Camilla? It could really get out of hand).
I'm so glad you can go!!! Please, please, please provide a FULL report after its done!!
Thanks,
Beth[/quote:f1fecd37b6]

I, for one, won't be looking at the Queen. 8O
I wouldn't take photos of her - it's the skating I wanted to see!
Oh well. :wink:

Lynne is it only for an hour???

Mrs Redboots
07-25-2002, 11:14 AM
[quote:1414c16162="melanieuk"]:lol: YES YES YES!!!!

My friends, a couple who skated at Bracknell this year, are taking me along with them.
I was lucky to get a room at the same hotel as them too.

Gala, here I come! :roll:
I even worked out what to wear. :wink:[/quote:1414c16162]

Oh good. Do give your friends (one of the very few couples we have [i:1414c16162]ever[/i:1414c16162] finished ahead of, so they are [b:1414c16162]very[/b:1414c16162] good friends indeed!!!) our kindest regards.

I do hope you have a lovely time; I am looking forward to hearing all about it.

TashaKat
07-25-2002, 01:03 PM
[quote:43d7597f82="melanieuk"] I, for one, won't be looking at the Queen. 8O
I wouldn't take photos of her - it's the skating I wanted to see!
Oh well. :wink:

Lynne is it only for an hour???[/quote:43d7597f82]

I haven't actually got my ticket yet so didn't see the 'no cameras' thing :( I don't want pics of the Queen to be honest, I DO want pics of the skaters though! What about afterwards? Some of the kids were hoping to get their pics taken with some of the skaters :( (and if I manage to get my hands on Gwendal in the meantime AND get photographic evidence then all the better ;) ..... as long as he's got rid of that facial fluff though :twisted: ).

According to Will it's only an hour long :(

L x

melanieuk
07-25-2002, 02:02 PM
My coach - who has nothing to do with the gala - guessed it might last 2 to 3 hours...... :?: :?:

One hour?
That's too short.
Not even time for an interval.
:cry:

TashaKat
07-26-2002, 08:05 AM
[quote:7cc6469842="melanieuk"]My coach - who has nothing to do with the gala - guessed it might last 2 to 3 hours...... :?: :?:

One hour?
That's too short.
Not even time for an interval.
:cry:[/quote:7cc6469842]

That's what I thought but Will said that it's an hour!

icenut84
07-26-2002, 08:10 AM
[quote:aef353c7ab="TashaKat"]I haven't actually got my ticket yet so didn't see the 'no cameras' thing :( I don't want pics of the Queen to be honest, I DO want pics of the skaters though! What about afterwards? Some of the kids were hoping to get their pics taken with some of the skaters :( (and if I manage to get my hands on Gwendal in the meantime AND get photographic evidence then all the better ;) ..... as long as he's got rid of that facial fluff though :twisted: ).[/quote:aef353c7ab]

I would love to get pics of the skaters too, but I bet everyone would! They can't let everyone, so they don't let anyone. (If Gwendal does still have the fluff, I'll gladly take him off your hands, as I for one like it :mrgreen: )

[quote:aef353c7ab="TashaKat"]According to Will it's only an hour long :([/quote:aef353c7ab]

Will? I assume you mean Prince William :)

I think it's only an hour long too. :( I remember reading the article about it on the IFS website, and I think I read that it was "an hour-long show". I wish it was longer too. And I wish they'd be recording it! Only one hour and then it's over forever. :(

melanieuk
07-26-2002, 08:29 AM
I'm tempted to think...ouch...that one hour equals not a lot of skating.

icenut84
07-27-2002, 10:14 AM
Ok, I just wanted to try to figure out how this might work:
B&S
A&P
Robin C
Kristi Y
Kurt B
Ilia K
Steven C
Sasha C
H&B

One solo each, you reckon? Allow about 4 mins for each (incl. getting on and off), that makes about 36 mins. Also there's the Brit Synchro team (another 4 mins), and local skaters (probably a group number). Assuming there's a group number with the big names too (will there be? ... I think there's some kind of finale, but will there be a group number too?), that'll probably take it up to about 50 mins. Maybe a few more if there's a big name group number aswell as the finale. So if you add on the hosting stuff to that (in between all the routines), that sounds about right. Do you think one solo each from the names listed above is what's gonna happen?

TashaKat
07-29-2002, 01:31 AM
Hi :)

For those of you who are interested I've put a copy of the promotional leaflet for the Royal Gala up on Yahoo Rinksiders (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Rinksiders) and on Yahoo UKskaters (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UKskaters/) in both the pics and files section :) IF I manage to get anything else (programme etc) from the Gala I'll put them up there too :)

[img:8ddccfb268]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_6179530/International+Ice+Skating+Gala/__tn_Royal+Ice+Skating+Gala.jpg?bcowiR9AnLK4Q2XG[/img:8ddccfb268] [img:8ddccfb268]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_6179530/International+Ice+Skating+Gala/__tn_Royal++Ice+Skating+Gala.jpg?bcowiR9A_m0ryHfH[/img:8ddccfb268]

L x

icenut84
07-29-2002, 07:10 AM
[quote:d7e67223f3="TashaKat"]I haven't actually got my ticket yet [/quote:d7e67223f3]

Have you still not got it?? You should have it by now. Did you book it from the website? If so, try going to:
http://www.wayahead.com/tracker
I assume you got the confirmation email with a code number on it? You need to enter it in, and then they will tell you where your tickets are. (I checked that a few times before they arrived, and it said they were waiting to be sent or something to that effect.) Or you should phone the ice centre or box office to see what's happening. It's only 2 days away! You need to find out what's happening and make sure your order went through if you still haven't got your tickets.

melanieuk
07-29-2002, 08:15 AM
Could anyone here GO to the gala if they had a ticket?

TashaKat
07-29-2002, 10:06 AM
[quote:93e2fa07ea="icenut84"][quote:93e2fa07ea="TashaKat"]I haven't actually got my ticket yet [/quote:93e2fa07ea]

Have you still not got it?? You should have it by now. Did you book it from the website? If so, try going to:
http://www.wayahead.com/tracker
I assume you got the confirmation email with a code number on it? You need to enter it in, and then they will tell you where your tickets are. (I checked that a few times before they arrived, and it said they were waiting to be sent or something to that effect.) Or you should phone the ice centre or box office to see what's happening. It's only 2 days away! You need to find out what's happening and make sure your order went through if you still haven't got your tickets.[/quote:93e2fa07ea]

No, sorry, didn't explain very well ...... I haven't SEEN the ticket, Will has got them, he organised it all!

L x