View Full Version : Help Stop the Two Footing!!!

singerskates
05-04-2004, 09:58 AM
All my jumps except the loop and the flip are landed on on foot. But why or why can't I land my loop and flip on one foot? I keep two footing them. I've got the full rotation in the air, so why or why do I keep two footing? It's driving me nuts. I want this two footing to go away, like yesterday. I've got Ann Arbour Spring Skate Sun. May 23rd, 2004. There are 3 others in my event.

I think I'm going to go back to trying to do half flip/flip/loop. I sort of one footed the flip in that combo before but the loop landing was a mess.

Any advice, exercises on and off of the ice to fix the two footing problem?

Brigitte

backspin
05-04-2004, 11:48 AM
The biggest issue for both these jumps is keeping your weight over the right side (assuming you jump CCW) in the air, so that you come down still weighted on the right side as you land. If your weight shifts to the left, viola, you 2-foot the landing.

I don't have any great advice for you via the Internet, you'd need some help from a coach in person, but I'll tell you this & see if it helps: I finally learned my flip by repeatedly "walking" through it--no jump......You do this from a complete standstill--not moving into it other than a VERY slight push....do the 3-turn, reach back & pick into the ice--then do a full rotation **still on the right toe pick** with your left foot lifted, knee bent, in mid-air jump position. You will probably not be able to do a full rotation on the toe pick---which is actually good--if you start to lose it, you will hop to stay on the foot--coming down on the right toe pick again. You do this over & over and you start to intentionally hop as you rotate, coming down again on the right toe pick & then exiting on the blade in your landing position. Eventually you hop sooner & higher, and it evolves into a true flip. What this teaches you is to stay over your right foot through the entire jump.

I tried off & on to get my flip landed clean (one foot) for over a year; someone taught me this exercise, & I had my flip for keeps in under an hour! Hope that makes some sense.....hard to describe online...

For the loop, I'd say do the entrance from a FI 3-turn--that seems to be the best way to learn on that one.

Good luck!! :D

IceAngel725
05-04-2004, 08:59 PM
I'm not sure if this will help, but i kept 2 footing my flip when i learned it, and it help me to think that i was going straight up and staying straight in the air.... Maybe it made me jump higher/ be more aligned...i don't know, but it helped! lol

Chico
05-04-2004, 09:13 PM
I have this problem with my double loop and double flip. Well, axel too. My coach has me doing a single loop after all three jumps to keep me over my right side and land the double on one foot. This has been working for me. (Last 2 weeks.) I have been landing on one foot or my butt trying. Try tacking a single loop after your loop or flip. Hope this helps.

Chico

jp1andOnly
05-04-2004, 10:22 PM
When you do your three turn on mohawk at the beginning of the jump, don't rush. Pause and count to 3, or however long you want. When you don't wait you end up whipping the jump which causes your body to tilt, lean, or your weight to go over to the other side. I have the exact problem and by counting and waiting my jumps are higher and I have a greater success rate. Its so hard to do..I feel like I'm waiting forever.

Magz
05-06-2004, 07:15 PM
I would just like to thank Chico who suggested thinking about tacking and single loop after the jump. Well today I was doing my double loops and 2-footing them, when I remembered this advice and it helped me SOOO much! I didn't actually add a loop after, but just thinking like I was going to helped me a lot! Thanks!

Chico
05-06-2004, 10:38 PM
=-) Welcome =-)

Chico