View Full Version : Beanie Critters for young skaters

garyc254
05-04-2004, 08:43 AM
I took a variety of bean stuffed animals on the ice during the Snowplow Sam 1 class last night. The kids had a great time throwing them, then skating and picking them up. It took their minds off of the ice while they skated.

Now I need some more games/practices using the critters. Any suggestions?

dbny
05-04-2004, 09:15 AM
Let the kids remove the animals from their "sleeping bag" and toss them onto the ice

Draw stars on the ice and have the kids put each animal on a star (every skater is a star)

Have them go back to the wall, then retrieve their animal

Draw parallel lines on the ice, line the kids up on one, and have them throw the animals across the other, then back again etc

Have them do swizzles holding an animal with both hands right out in front (like Rudolph's nose, leading the way)

Have them pair off and toss an animal back and forth, if the animal is dropped, a swizzle must be done over it before picking it up

When done with the animals (they are tired), let each kid put their animal back into the "sleeping bag" for a nap

Clarice
05-04-2004, 09:27 AM
My Snowplows like the "throw and go get it" game, too. They also like to skate balancing the beanbags on their heads. In both cases, they have to show me a good dip when picking them up off the ice.

backspin
05-04-2004, 09:55 AM
I line a few up & they do swizzles over them--I also draw lines on the ice to show where their feet should go--so they understand they have to bring their feet together in between each one.

I also have them skate w/ the beanie balanced on their head (or shoulder; sometimes the beanie slides off when they're wearing a helmet).

We also have "beanie bag fights", where you throw your beanie at the teacher (me), & I throw it back at you. They LOVE this! The rule is, they may throw them ONLy at me--not each other.

In general beanies are a Godsend for tots teachers (that & washable markers!!!). You get the occasional problem when a kid gets attached to one particular one & won't let anyone else touch it, or will pick it up off the ice even if it's being used for a swizzle exercise......*sigh* I recall the one 3 year old who wouldn't move an inch on his own across the ice......until the day a little girl inadvertantly picked up HIS beanie baby---suddenly from behind me I hear, "THAT'S MINE!!!!!!", and turn to see him shuffling hell-bent across the ice, fully intending to pound the poor little girl into submission....*sigh*