View Full Version : Adult Nationals 2006?

skatingatty
04-30-2004, 11:11 AM
Has the location been picked for Adult Nationals 2006? (Please let it be DC, Atlanta, San Francisco, or LA) Thanks!

Stormy
04-30-2004, 11:53 AM
As far as I know, it has not been chosen yet. I haven't even heard of which clubs have bid on it.

LoopLoop
04-30-2004, 12:01 PM
Has the location been picked for Adult Nationals 2006? (Please let it be DC, Atlanta, San Francisco, or LA) Thanks!

I don't think there's a suitable facility in either Atlanta or DC... USFS requires three surfaces under one roof.

Spreadeagle
04-30-2004, 12:12 PM
I don't think there's a suitable facility in either Atlanta or DC... USFS requires three surfaces under one roof.

I'm not sure that this is true. Pepsi Ice Midwest, site of 2005 AN, has only 2 1/2 surfaces. I believe that as long as there is an available practice facility within a 10 minute drive of the competition venue, the competition venue only has to have 2 surfaces. But this is just something I heard, so if it's inaccurate please correct me.

dani
04-30-2004, 12:27 PM
I'm not sure that this is true. Pepsi Ice Midwest, site of 2005 AN, has only 2 1/2 surfaces. I believe that as long as there is an available practice facility within a 10 minute drive of the competition venue, the competition venue only has to have 2 surfaces. But this is just something I heard, so if it's inaccurate please correct me.

That is what was mentioned during the adult committee meeting at AN 2004.

Hugs!
Danielle

LoopLoop
04-30-2004, 12:37 PM
Maybe they've changed it to the 2+1 in the past couple of years... Or I was wrong. ;)

jazzpants
04-30-2004, 12:44 PM
Has the location been picked for Adult Nationals 2006? (Please let it be DC, Atlanta, San Francisco, or LA) Thanks!SF??? HA!!! I wish!!! Maybe Pacific Coast Sectionals again??? :P (Anyone heard anything about Sectionals for 2005?)

We only have one ice surface... and I heard that AN didn't go well at Oakland. San Jose, maybe? (Plenty of parking and you can hang out with the sharks...San Jose Sharks that is!!! :twisted: 3 ice surface, but one of them seems to be practice ice for the Sharks.)

I know nothing about AN 2006!!! :(

jenlyon60
04-30-2004, 01:06 PM
Ice Works at Aston PA would be neat. It's at least a 2 sheet facility, and I think maybe a 3 or 4 sheet facility. Seems to me that when I went up to watch part of Easterns the other year, that Easterns was using 2 sheets, and there was a public session on another sheet, and maybe something else.

And Aston isn't that far from Wilmington/UDel/The Pond, either.

LoopLoop
04-30-2004, 01:09 PM
Ice Works at Aston PA would be neat. It's at least a 2 sheet facility, and I think maybe a 3 or 4 sheet facility. Seems to me that when I went up to watch part of Easterns the other year, that Easterns was using 2 sheets, and there was a public session on another sheet, and maybe something else.

IceWorks would be an awesome location! They do have 4 sheets; I think one is Olympic and the other three are NHL.

jazzpants
04-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Actually, another location I want would be Manhattan, New York at Chelsea Piers. (2 sheets) ;)

OTOH, my hubby and in-laws would then be there to watch me... GULP!!! 8O 8O 8O

flo
04-30-2004, 01:28 PM
Hi,
Not only the number of ice sheets, but the size of the facility needs to be considered. The event has to accomodate 600+ skaters, coaches....
one of the major problems at Oakland was that the facility was relatively small with no open space. We were all crammed into the rink like sardines. There was no where to go to warm up or just get away from the noise. The surrounding area was not that great, so that was not a good option.
There needs to be another surface within reasonable proximity to the main rink. It's also the expense of the area. Chelsea Piers would be a very expensive proposition for many.
Are there any rinks in Las Vegas? Flights there are relatively cheap.

manleywoman
04-30-2004, 01:35 PM
DC has the Gardens Ice House in Laurel, Md, which has 3 sheets.

Chicago has the Crystal Lake Ice house, and Seven Bridges Arena.

Gold*starblade
04-30-2004, 01:41 PM
Pleasant Prairie Wisconsin is putting up two rinks in its new sports rec. It's south of Milwaukee pretty much half way between Milwaukee and Chicago. Also there are tons of rinks in the area, I can think of four within a half hour drive. Plus, what makes the facility so suitable is that it is a whole sports rec with a track, olympic size swimming pool, weight rooms, driving ranges and the list goes on. It's also near Six Flags Great America for the bored family members as well as Gurnee Mills Shopping Center, one of the biggest outlet malls in the country. Best of all....I could stay with my parents! Honestly, it would be a great location, right near lake Michigan too!

Mrs Redboots
04-30-2004, 01:58 PM
Hi,
Not only the number of ice sheets, but the size of the facility needs to be considered. The event has to accomodate 600+ skaters, coaches....
one of the major problems at Oakland was that the facility was relatively small with no open space. We were all crammed into the rink like sardines. There was no where to go to warm up or just get away from the noise. The surrounding area was not that great, so that was not a good option. My friend and I had a walk through it, and it wasn't that bad. Certainly better than where I live, although it's difficult to tell in a strange place.

And although there was a shuttle-bus that took you from the hotels to the rink and/or to the rink at Berkeley, where a lot of the practice and all the figures competitions took place, for some reason they had been given a very unrealistic schedule that took no account of traffic flow, and often ran very late

jenlyon60
04-30-2004, 02:19 PM
Ashburn Ice House and Skatequest Reston only have 2 sheets each... and I can't see either facility basically "shutting down" for a week (no hockey...oh my...) for a competition like ANs. Both have reasonable locker room facilities, though. The food at Ashburn Ice house is a bit better, I think. And there's better shopping close by (Dulles Town Center, Outlet mall in Leesburg).

They're within about 20 minutes of each other, when the traffic is right.

flo
04-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Hi,
I'm glad it didn't give that impression to the visitors. For those of us competing it was too cramped. The dressing rooms were dark and small. We were there for a week and it only became worse. Also there was very limited space to do lifts for the pairs, and the dance teams to warm up. It was also not a place to "hang around" while waiting for friend's events.

It's nice to be in a location where there's space around the facility as well. Lake Placid and Ann Arbor were great for this.

The selection really starts with who bids for AN. It's a great deal of work for the LOC. I'd love for it to be around DC once, but it's also great to see other areas, and I love going to Lake Placid whenever I get the chance.

PattyP
04-30-2004, 03:26 PM
Are there any rinks in Las Vegas? Flights there are relatively cheap.

That would be nice for me, only a 4 hour drive! However, the only rinks that I know of only have 1 sheet and the only decent facility is at the Santa Fe Hotel.

icedancer2
04-30-2004, 04:23 PM
What about Salt Lake City?

SkateFan123
04-30-2004, 04:38 PM
Actually, Atlanta has the Gwinett County Arena and Ice Forum Town Center and lots of hotels nearby.

Orlando has RDV sportsplex with two rinks, Orlando Arena nearby if that was really needed, and lots of hotels near either place.

Michigansk8er
04-30-2004, 05:58 PM
I'm all for someplace sunny and warm..................but I have the feeling that the weather could be a bit distracting for a sun lover like me. :D

I'm always a fan of Ann Arbor & Lake Placid, but it would be nice if it were out west again for the west coast skaters.