View Full Version : Club memberships and liability at competitions

Aussie Willy
04-26-2004, 06:01 PM
Can a sporting association make a person become a member?

I have not been a member of any of our skating clubs or associations for quite a few years, mainly because I have not competed or if I have this was not a requirement until now.

Now our state skating association are basically demanding that before you can compete in any competitions you must join them. This has come to light for me because our yearly adult competition is on in June which is the only competition I have planned so far.

I have a number of reasons why I don't want to join this association, mainly being that as a skater they have done absolutely nothing for my skating for years. To do tests and the like I understand that I would need to join, but I kind of object to joining when I thought my entry fee will cover me liability wise (like when you pay rink entry during sessions). And I would much rather support one of the clubs (not this association) if I needed to be a member of a club to be covered by insurance, because the clubs actually do something for skaters.

Also my logic tells me that if I chose to compete without being a member, if something happens to me I skate at my own risk which I accept.

So is this kind of thing in place where you skate and what are your requirements to be able to compete?

Schmeck
04-26-2004, 07:35 PM
I can only give you USA info - in order to test/compete in any event done by a USFSA-sanctioned club, you need to be some type of USFSA member. For lower levels, you can be a USFSA Basic Skills member. If you don't want to join a skating club, then you can be an Individual Member. But all memberships to every club that I've come in contact with come with USFSA membership. You don't just become a member of the club, you become a USFSA member and a club member. If you want to join more than one club, you buy an associate's membership in the second club. Your first "home" club gets you your USFSA membership.

Don't know if this answers your question or not, but hope it helps!

jp1andOnly
04-26-2004, 07:37 PM
I can only give you USA info - in order to test/compete in any event done by a USFSA-sanctioned club, you need to be some type of USFSA member. For lower levels, you can be a USFSA Basic Skills member. If you don't want to join a skating club, then you can be an Individual Member. But all memberships to every club that I've come in contact with come with USFSA membership. You don't just become a member of the club, you become a USFSA member and a club member. If you want to join more than one club, you buy an associate's membership in the second club. Your first "home" club gets you your USFSA membership.

Don't know if this answers your question or not, but hope it helps!

You have to be a member of skate Canada to compete in any of their events.

dani
04-26-2004, 08:28 PM
I have also played Chess in the past, and to compete in a tournament, we had to be members of the US org, so it seems to be more than just skating.

Good luck!

Danielle

NickiT
04-27-2004, 06:14 AM
Here in the UK you have to be a member of NISA inorder to compete at any Open event.

Nicki

SDFanatic
04-27-2004, 08:53 AM
There are some clubs however that put competitions together that are not sanctioned by the USFSA. Thus anyone can participate no matter if they are affiliated with an orginazation or not.

Such competitions are few and far between however.

Steven

Mrs Redboots
04-27-2004, 01:54 PM
Here in the UK you have to be a member of NISA inorder to compete at any Open event.

NickiExcept sometimes in a "pure recreation" class. But by and large you have to be a member, as you do if you wish to test.