View Full Version : Dress Issues

CaraSkates
04-26-2004, 12:26 PM
Hi, I'm new here. I've been skating for 10 months. I was in my first competition two weeks ago. My mom made the dress I wore for it (I'm 14) but it didn't fit very well. I wear a 6, 8 or 10 in clothes. I'm a ladies medium usually, sometimes a small, sometimes a large. Anyway, my problem with skating dresses is that they are not long enough in the girth for me. I have a 63 1/2" girth and all the dresses I've seen with that girth are a ladies L or XL. There is no way a Ladies L or XL will fit me around. A Large MIGHT but it would be kinda of loose. A ladies medium fits around but it gives me a painful wedgie.

I guess my question is, are there any skating dresses sized to be "Long" or will I have to either buy a custom one or have my mom modify a pattern (she's capable of doing that pretty easily)? I have another competition in July and I'd really like a dress before then.

Oh if anyone would be interested in a Ladies Medium, red velour with metalic sparkle designs on it long sleeve skating dress, it will probably be on Ebay in a few weeks. IT's homemade but the quality is very good, it just doesn't fit ME right.

flo
04-26-2004, 12:46 PM
Hi,
I also had a problem with Baltogs in that They were too short and I had to get an XL. I tried GK, but they did not fit very well, but I have found success with Mirella. I have usually had dresses made for me. Good luck.

Canskater
04-26-2004, 12:50 PM
Hi:

The subject of skating dresses for adults was broached in a thread last week ... the general consensus was that most mass-market, commercially available in stores type skating dresses generally do not fit most adults .... many adults (and older teens) find the same type of problem you are describing.

I don't know of any mass marketer of skating dresses who routinely sell dresses which are longer in the girth, though there are some who will customize a stock pattern for an additional sum (usually $5. to $20.) and a slightly longer delivery time. One that comes to mind is Wendesign, though there are others.

Since you mentioned that your Mom has been making your competition dresses, she should be able to modify a pattern for you relatively easily. Some of the better patterns do provide "lengthen here" guides .... if she doesn't have one already, your Mom should invest in a "dressmaker's curve" to help in the pattern modification. These are inexpensive items (around $10. - $15) and are generally available in most better fabric stores.

Good Luck.

-- sheilagh

jenlyon60
04-26-2004, 01:44 PM
Cara --

Some brands are "taller" than others.

Having said that, I can't tell you which brands, because I'm short.

I do have a female skating friend who is 5'11" who needs a minimum 67" girth. She has had to have all her test/competition dresses custom-made (she doesn't sew, nor does her mom). The other issue with the girth was that even if she could get a stock dress to stretch enough to be wearable and not too uncomfortable lengthwise, often the skirts were too short for her height.

--jsl

SDFanatic
04-26-2004, 01:46 PM
One place I found that has fast order fulfilment on somewhat custom outfits is www.skatedresswarehouse.com I had a dress made with a two inch longer girth and a turtle neck opening rather then a crew neck and I recieved it in less then a week after I ordered it.

Many skating patterns have the "lengthen here" marks on them, take the difference you need and divide by four (most patterns have two places to lengthen) That will ease up on the length problems, trust me, I know as I used to need almost four extra inches. You cal also buy a L or XL and then take it in, although re-doing inset skirts can be challenging.

You can also get a custom sized pattern made by www.specialtysportswear.com her patterns are pretty good. And of course you can always draft a pattern after on outfit that already fits you the way you like.

And don't be afraid to ask if they offer longer girths, many don't say they can do it, but if you ask, they just might.

Steven