View Full Version : Trying to find a male skating partner

IceAngel2007
04-26-2004, 11:35 AM
Hi, I am looking for a pair skating partner who lives near Tampa Florida. I am 5'8" about 135 lbs, and I skate at an International Arena. If you have any info about a male skating partner for me who is about my age, and taller than me, please respond. Oh yah the thing is, I jump the opposite way that I do spins. its weird. ok. please write back. thank you

gardana
04-26-2004, 01:58 PM
You may want to try the Ice Partner Site. You can read biographical stats and testing information and maybe even see a video clip. It includes both dancers & pair skaters. You can also fill out a form for yourself as well.

http://www.icepartnersearch.com/

IceAngel2007
04-28-2004, 09:55 AM
i cannot find any skaters who are male and are living in florida on the partner search:(

Sylvia
04-28-2004, 11:40 AM
You can also get yourself listed on the USFS' partner Search list -- go to:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=219

garyc254
04-28-2004, 12:11 PM
Was trying to help out a friend's daughter in finding a pairs partner, so wrote my coach who responded:

Have her wait in line with every other girl in St. Louis! Good luck, you
almost have to create your own. If she has a hockey skater friend that
she likes, that would be her best bet to convert him. Good hunting!

Jess-ka
04-28-2004, 03:48 PM
i've tried to convert some hockey players and it's just as hard... it seems they would rather shower with other men then risk figure skating with a pretty girl and get beaten up. or so thats what i've been told ^_~

Mrs Redboots
04-29-2004, 02:43 AM
I once tried to convert a hockey player - not that I need a partner, but he's a nice chap, and a friend of mine. "Wouldn't you rather skate with a woman than a stick?" I asked him.

He thought for a moment.

"Nah," he said, eventually. "Sticks don't argue!"

:halo:

NoVa Sk8r
04-29-2004, 09:59 AM
I once tried to convert a hockey player - not that I need a partner, but he's a nice chap, and a friend of mine. "Wouldn't you rather skate with a woman than a stick?" I asked him.

He thought for a moment.

"Nah," he said, eventually. "Sticks don't argue!"

:halo:

Brilliant! Pick-up hockey, here I come!

Canskater
04-29-2004, 10:31 AM
Actually, there was a woman at my club who at the time was working on her gold dances, and was dating a nice guy who was an avid golfer. When they finally got engaged, he was quite gleeful in that now she would have to learn golf. Her response to that was that she will learn golf when he learns to figure skate ..... and guess what, she now partners him as he works on his senior bronze dances !!!!

-- sheilagh

IceDanceChick
06-08-2004, 01:42 AM
I too am looking for a Male Dance partner to compete in either the Junior or Senior Dance Division. I am 5'4", 110lbs, just turned 20 on June 6, 2004, dark brown hair, hazel eyes. Test level: gold dances, senior MIF, junior dance free skate. I competed in the Junior Dance Division this past season. I am currently training in Los Angeles, CA. If anyone is interested in more information about myself, please contact me via e-mail at: StarchickRB02@netscape.net Thanks a bunch!

FSWer
09-06-2004, 07:38 AM
Hello there. I am a really big Pairs and Ice-Dance fan. I myself have tried to access the icepartnersearch.com site with no seccess. It doesn't seem to work as far as I can see. However I can still help ALL of you. As I have some great links that might be of some help. Maybe we can all chat sometime. Whatta you say? Thanks.

CanAmSk8ter
09-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Not sure how this got dragged up again, but... ;)

Ask your coach what you need to do. Everyone in skating pretty much knows all the partner search sites- icepartnersearch.com, the USFS search (go under Athlete Programs on their homepage), and I think sk8stuff.com still has partner listings somewhere.

I'm going to be brutally honest with you though- at 5'8, you're awfully tall for pairs. I don't know of any (girl) pair skaters taller than 5'4, and most are 5'2 or under. You're also, IIRC, only doing singles and trying to teach yourself doubles. Most guys won't even try out with girls without a double axel. The world of pairs partners is very competitive, and only the smallest, most talented girls usually find partners. I wanted to do pairs when I was younger too, and I'm glad I got steered into dance instead- not that finding a partner is any easier, but at least I can test and do pro-ams with my coach.

My suggestion, if you really want to do pairs, is to keep working on your singles skills and try when you're an adult to compete in adult pairs. That way you can find a guy who's fully grown and could possibly match with a 5'8 girl. You'll also have the flexibility to relocate, because it's usually expected for kids/teenagers that the girl will do that.

Mrs Redboots
09-07-2004, 05:47 AM
The other way is to latch on to any available boy or young man at your rink - do you have a brother or boyfriend, by any funny chance? At our rink, almost all the current pairs skaters are brother/sister combinations! My coach is very keen on pairs - he teaches all disciplines, but pairs is his first love - and would love my husband and me to do it, but I won't do more than interpretive pairs at the moment. But any young man he teaches usually gets talked into at least trying pairs skating.....