View Full Version : Switching Coaches?

Schmeck
04-23-2004, 07:00 PM
How does one go about leaving one coach, and going to a new one? How much time would you give the first coach (two weeks notice, or what?) and how much of a reason do you need - how deep of an explanation?

I don't feel comfortable going into details at the moment, because I'm not sure if the above mentioned coaches check out this site or not! 8O

Schmeck

backspin
04-23-2004, 07:58 PM
Well, your timing couldn't be better, because I left my coach this week. Proper procedure is to call or talk to the existing coach before you take any lessons with the new coach. IMO, you can give them as much or as little of the explanation that you want; it depends on the situation. Try to make it as amicable as possible; skating is a small world! Do not mention your plans to anyone else before you talk to the coach, or the rumor may reach them before you do. I don't think you need to give 2 weeks, etc., notice; give them as much of a reason as you're comfortable with, thank them for all the help they've given you, and then move onward and upward.......you have to do what's best for you and your skating.

Good luck to you; if you're as broken hearted as I am over this transition, feel free to PM me. I didn't have a new coach in mind, so now I'm scrambling to figure out what the heck I'm going to do. This has been an absolutely horrible week for me; so I can sympathize with you! :cry: :cry:

Schmeck
04-24-2004, 06:40 AM
backspin, thanks for the advice! Right now I'm at the point where I feel like I'm walking on eggshells about the situation. The coach that I want for my daughter is the one I had when I first started skating. This coach was not available when my daughter started private lessons though, and recommended the coach we have now - but I always hoped that my old coach would be able to coach my daughter someday. Now she might be able to this autumn, maybe even as soon as this summer. The present coach is OK, but my old coach is just so much better, in my eyes anyways. Her skater's programs have wonderful choreography, and her skaters are exquisite, every last one of them! Plus, she's just so professional!

But I totally understand about how skating is such a "Small World". I've tried to keep my mouth shut as much as possible!

Chico
04-24-2004, 10:12 PM
Breaking up is so hard. It's like getting a divorce! You love your old coach, you do, but it's time to change. Picking a new coach is hard.... I've been there. My best advice is to think hard before picking that new coach. If your like me, you want it to be right and last. Change can be good and new relationships can be created. It takes time to feel comfortable and understand the new coach. It takes time for the new coach to feel comfortable and understand you. I changed coaches a bit ago and found the situation very stressful. I've found that things are presented in a new way and I find this very interesting. I'm actually understanding things in a new way. Just learning things in a new way creates progress. I agree, look at who a coach teaches and what they say about them. This is how I picked my new coach. I also really wanted someone who worked with me and not at me. This was very important to me. I also wanted to be pushed hard. It's amazing what I can do in this situation. It makes me up my expectations of myself.

Chico

Michigansk8er
04-25-2004, 04:07 PM
Backspin,

Good luck finding a new coach. I can imagine how stressful it must be to be coachless at the moment. I was fortunate, when I switched coaches. I was able to line up a new coach first, then let my old coach go. Good advice to keep things as amicable as possible. I'm glad I did.

I hope you find someone soon. Keep us posted.

backspin
04-26-2004, 03:04 PM
thanks for the well wishes!! I really appreciate it.

I have 2 trial lessons set up this week w/ 2 different coaches. I'll see what I think after that. I'm feeling much better now that I've seen what my options are, & have a game plan.

What really sucks though is that I was hoping to test 2 dances in June, & that is probably now out the window. :frus:

I'll keep you posted, & we can have a cyber "new coach" party when I pick the lucky (?) one! 8-)

lazenpa
04-29-2004, 07:13 AM
Its very hard to switch coaches. MY daughter is doing that but she is so upset about leaving her old coach. he is so nice but the new on will get her where her goals are. i tryed asking the new one if she could have both but he doesn't feel that is best. any advice. she is older but i guess it still hurts when you have to leave someone you really like.

Chico
04-29-2004, 09:59 PM
I'm an adult skater, but I still found changing coaches heart breaking. Your daughter is normal to feel sad. I think one coach is probably is best. Each coach has their way of teaching and it can be confusing to learn things to many ways. Same skills, but unique ways of teaching. Saying that, new ideas can keep things fresh and interesting. At the least, coaches should team coach so the same ideas are presented.

Chico

Good luck.