View Full Version : Skating as an adult...

IceAngel725
04-22-2004, 09:55 PM
All this talk about adult nationals has got me thinking, and i figured that many of you would be able to help me! Do you have to be 18 or 25 to skate in the adult category? And for testing, would i have to go back and start at adult pre-bronze? I feel kinda dumb for asking, but there aren't too many adult skaters at my rink, so i don't know!

Thanks!

skaternum
04-23-2004, 04:59 AM
25. And it's time for my periodic reminder: everyone needs to buy their own rulebook and use it! :)

As for your testing, if you've passed no higher than Juvenile FS: yes, you have to go back and start at Pre-Bronze, passing both the Pre-bronze MITF and FS.

Elsy2
04-23-2004, 10:01 AM
I just wanted to say that for certain local competitions, exceptions are made for the age rule of being 25. I competed with a skater for several years at her annual club competition. The last time I competed with her at a comp. other than her own club, she admitted to me that she had just turned 25.

Now perhaps this is a very isolated case. She always competed pre-bronze until she reached 25, so maybe she entered as no-test skating up, and then tested the adult track at 25? I don't know. Anyone else aware of such exceptions?

In the past few years, some competitions have offered introductory adult events for 18-24. Several of the comps. I've attended have had to cancel this event due to lack of interest. I'm not sure what the testing qualifications are for this class, since you have to be 25 to test the adult track.

One more edit....at some competitions you can compete without testing at all, if they allow skaters to skate up a level. I competed pre-bronze for a few years before I ever tested. I have also seen a "no-test" level for beginning adults at some basic skills competitions.

NoVa Sk8r
04-23-2004, 11:07 AM
Exceptions are made. For my first competition (Capital Regional Council in annapolis in 2002), I had not tested anything, and I skated in the FS bronze event.

vesperholly
04-23-2004, 11:19 AM
I have only competed in one club competition as an Adult (was forced to scratch the other) but for both, I contacted the chair and asked for permission to skate in adult since I am 23, and too old for the standard events. I entered in Silver since my standard test level is equivalent to Adult Silver. The competition that I did do, I believe the chair contacted the other entries to make sure they were ok with a not-quite-adult skater entering. I've heard of people requesting a young adult event and getting it. Usually they will try to accomodate you as much as possible, since clubs need the $ and can't afford to turn away people (plus they want you to come back next year).

Then again, and I am not advocating this, a few people (adults and non-adults) do lie on their competition forms. Most clubs do not check the info unless they know the person and suspect a lie. This has happened even at ANs, where a woman competed below her childhood level because she rejoined the USFSA as a "new person" using her married name. :roll: I also know of someone who competed in a State Games one year more than allowed. A lot of times it's insignificant, but it does happen.

Debbie S
04-23-2004, 04:43 PM
Exceptions are made. For my first competition (Capital Regional Council in annapolis in 2002), I had not tested anything, and I skated in the FS bronze event.

I think CRC was pretty clear this year that you had to pass at least Pre-Bronze FS to compete, but Cherry Blossom did allow no-test adults to compete Bronze. I comtemplated doing that, just b/c there aren't many competitive opportunities for Pre-Bronze skaters and until I test these darned Pre-Bronze moves, I can only do 1 or 2 comps a year in my area. But I decided to focus on testing and not preparing for a comp. I wanted to be able to compete in the Chesapeake Open, but since I got bumped off a test session that was scheduled for last Monday (the last test session around here before the entry deadline), I may have to wait for Wilmington at the end of July.

Thinking about the discussion on the ANs thread, I really do wish there were more competitions offering Pre-Bronze. In my event at the New Year's comp, there were 4 Pre-B I and II's, and (I think) 3 more in III/IV. Most of us were from the MD/DC/VA area and would probably come to more competitions, if they existed. The way it is now, I'm hurrying to test my moves and FS just so I have more opportunities - and will probably end up finishing last in Bronze for a while until I get a camel-sit and a flip and lutz.

NoVa Sk8r
04-23-2004, 04:54 PM
Well good luck.

FYI, the Ice Works Skating Club is having its first adult-only competition at the end of October. That's not too far away from the DC area. Without the pesky kids ( :D ), maybe they'll put in pre-bronze events?

They also will be having pairs. Oh boy!

Check it out:
http://www.iceworkssc.org/

Terri C
04-23-2004, 06:18 PM
Thinking about the discussion on the ANs thread, I really do wish there were more competitions offering Pre-Bronze. In my event at the New Year's comp, there were 4 Pre-B I and II's, and (I think) 3 more in III/IV. Most of us were from the MD/DC/VA area and would probably come to more competitions, if they existed.

Debbie,
In my last competition (Central Carolina Classic) 3 weeks ago, there were 3 skaters in the Pre- Bronze freeskate event. IIRC, two of them had not even tested yet and one of them won!
Yes people, the Pre Bronze freeskate event can be competitve!!

Terri C
04-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Debbie,
In my last competition (Central Carolina Classic) 3 weeks ago, there were 3 skaters in the Pre- Bronze freeskate event. IIRC, two of them had not even tested yet and one of them won!
Yes people, the Pre Bronze freeskate event can be competitve!!

Uh Debbie, I meant 6, yes SIX!!

Having a little too much cheer here on a Friday night! :oops:

SkateGuard
04-23-2004, 08:43 PM
Well good luck.

FYI, the Ice Works Skating Club is having its first adult-only competition at the end of October. That's not too far away from the DC area. Without the pesky kids ( :D ), maybe they'll put in pre-bronze events?

They also will be having pairs. Oh boy!

Check it out:
http://www.iceworkssc.org/

I was told by one of the organizers that they will try to offer BOTH pre-bronze and no test comps. It'll probably depend on interest.

Erin

IceAngel725
04-23-2004, 08:58 PM
25. And it's time for my periodic reminder: everyone needs to buy their own rulebook and use it! :)

As for your testing, if you've passed no higher than Juvenile FS: yes, you have to go back and start at Pre-Bronze, passing both the Pre-bronze MITF and FS.

well, since i'll only be turning 18 in july, i guess i have a few years to wait! With college and everything i probably won't have a lot of time to skate, so i'm not too worried about finding competitions at this point, its nice to know that there are some w/ young adult categories though.

So if i pass juvenile fs, what happens then?

Thanks for all the help :)

skaternum
04-24-2004, 02:59 PM
So if i pass juvenile fs, what happens then?

If you pass higher than juvenile FS (i.e., intermediate fs or higher), then you're qualified to skate in the Masters track, rather than the adult track. If you skate Masters, you don't have to take any of the adult tests.

IceAngel725
04-24-2004, 09:00 PM
thanks skaternum :bow:

IceAngel725
04-24-2004, 09:04 PM
Hehe... I love how after i glanced over skaternum' 1st first response again i realized how clear the answer was... i'm really not "that" stupid...just a little ditzy from time to time...geez! :)

skaternum
04-24-2004, 09:29 PM
Hee hee. We all have ditzy episodes. :lol: