View Full Version : AN--From the other side of the table

Figureskates
04-19-2004, 06:11 AM
Got back from Lake Placid yesterday afternoon and I had a fantastic time.

Since I couldn't compete, I spent a lot of time volunteering, mostly at registration, and it was great to meet sk8er1964 and PattyP, thanks for introducing yourselves. I am sorry I missed your skate sk8er1964, but saw PattyP's and they were great. You were definitely a hit at the Exhibition!!

Being on the other side of the table, I was able to come a way with a different perspective.

First of all, all you adults were just great!! Especially on Tuesday when registration began. The line was long but you guys were patient and understanding. I had the unenviable job of filling your tapes and CDs into the appropiate box. There were about 50 boxes on that shelf and with two people taking music, I had a hectic few hours but all the music got filed correctly. I sure saw a lot of nervous skaters as I filed them away. Have faith, I am a skater too and I well understand the importance!! After working events such as Junior Nats and Sectionals, it was nice not to have to deal with skater moms!!

The support that adults give one another is inspirational. Other events should take note.

Some of you guys gave me some valid complaints which I did pass on to ORDA and my club. I know many of the ORDA people personally so passing along such information is no problem. Everyone in the club is sending their thoughts to our president so we can do it better next time. If you guys have any other afterthoughts, either express them here or PM me, I will see they get to the appropiate source.

I did manage to see much of the competition, eventhough I put in almost 60 hours since last Sunday. Additionally there was ice time for the non-competitors so I did get out a few times...though on Friday they did let some of the competitors share ice with us. Do you know how humbling it is to shatre the ice with Stephanie Cooke with her jumps and I am working on my measly Salchow? I am going to be in therapy for a month over that!!

Hopefully at the next AN I will be on the other side of the table.

skatingatty
04-19-2004, 11:34 AM
It was nice reading your report as well as all the competitors' reports! Thanks! I wish I could've been there, but it's just so expensive w/the travel, hotel, and entry costs. I don't think I'll go to Kansas City, so the Peach Classic will be like my adult nationals. :)

icedancer2
04-19-2004, 03:25 PM
I wasn't even there and I can palpably feel through all of these postings the excitement you all have had about skating at this wonderful event!!!

Congratulations to all participants and volunteers!! What a great great experience!! :bow: :bow: :)

Raine
04-19-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by figureskates:

I put in almost 60 hours since last Sunday

A big thank you to figureskates and the other volunteers who helped to make ANs a success. I'm astonished at the number of hours you put in. I'm considering volunteering next time, but I've never worked 60 hours in a week in my life! Sounds like you had a good time, though.

Cheers,
Raine

sk8er1964
04-19-2004, 08:42 PM
It was so nice to meet you, Figureskates. I asked about you when I checked in, but you must have been on break. Then later, to meet you and PattyP at the same time - bonus! Except for the practice ice issue, I though that the competition was well done. When I was in practice ice hell, one of the volunteers was very helpful -- accompanying me from rink to rink to find out where they had put me. (When they sent me my info, they didn't tell me when and where my pre-paid ice was - it was a bit frustrating after a horrible drive to NY.) So if you see a very nice older lady who was working the 1932 rink on Tuesday, please pass on my sincere thanks for her help :D !

Cinderella
04-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Figureskates - I'm not sure which person you were, but want to give you a big standing ovation and thank you for making ANs such a delight. Everyone I met who was volunteering at ANs could not have been more friendly and helpful. Thanks to your generosity of time, we all had a blast and I sincerely appreciate what you did for us. Woo hoo!
:bow:

PattyP
04-19-2004, 09:56 PM
It was great to meet you too, you and Skater1064!

Thanks for all the weather updates you provided me during the week! I did have a delay in Chicago, but not due to weather, we had an airplane problem. :roll:

And thanks to you and all the other voulunteers who worked so hard to make the event happen. Great job!

PattyP

Figureskates
04-20-2004, 05:57 AM
I know and can understand the practice ice issue.

Practice ice was handled by ORDA and the club had nothing to do with it. That is why it was being handled over at the 1932 rink and not at the registration table.

I had a blast too, though I still have the problem that everytime I close my eyes I see tapes, CDs, and endless lists of names with the audio backdrop inside my brain of "Can I pick up my music?"

You guys were all great and it was fun for all the volunteers too. This is the fifth event that I have helped my club out on and this was far and away the best. The only other event that was close was the 2002 Synchro Nationals. They were a great group of folks too. The other three was plagued by dreaded "skate moms". It was nice not to have to deal with "what do you mean my little Brunhilda is skating 6th."

flo
04-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Thanks to all the volunteers! It was a great event and we all appreciate the work to make it a success. I'm looking forward to the next AN in Lake Placid!