View Full Version : PSA/ISI Conference May 26-29

dbny
04-16-2004, 03:12 PM
I posted on the Coaches/Parents thread, but maybe it's better to post here. I just registered for the annual conference in San Diego. I'm going with a friend, which always makes things easier. Has anyone here ever gone to one of these? I know there will be on ice sessions, but have no idea how many on ice opportunities there will be. Any info is appreciated.

skateflo
04-16-2004, 05:10 PM
I've been to 2 PSA conventions (Scottsdale AZ and Stamford CT) and thoroughly enjoyed the classes (off-ice) although I didn't bring skates (am not a coach but a patron member) so could only observe some of the on-ice stuff from bleachers or standing on the sides. The trade show is always wonderful as is the final dinner/awards. I lucked out in AZ as Lori Nichol did a 3 part seminar on what constitutes choreography - the woman is awesome in the depth and breath of her study of the arts and skating.

Since I wasn't a coach, I kept a very low profile, attended classes etc. and just listened to what the coaches around me said and asked. There is great comradery among the coaches and they are beginners to the elite. The only advice I would give (I assume you are coaching?) is to willingly participate in the on-ice classes. If the speaker asks you to try something, do it! Don't just stand around with a clipboard trying to write everything they say! Since this is your first experience, just absorb it rather than try to write things down. Forget the notebook for on-ice stuff! You will be surprised how much comes back to you when you get home.

Have a really great time! I am sure you will and let us know what happened. I think the PSA does a fantastic job and really are dedicated to improving all coaches on all levels about all aspects of coaching. I have tremendous admiration for the PSA and for the coaching profession.

dbny
04-16-2004, 05:23 PM
Thank you for the great advice. I wan't thinking about notebooks at all... :roll:, but now I will definitely bring something for the off ice seminars. I'm sure I'm going to be the least able coach on the ice, and will be keeping a very low profile, which shouldn't be hard, as my (coach) friend is tall and outgoing. I actually know (very casually) some of the speakers, from the ISI courses I took, and I'm kind of hoping to see some my other ISI classmates there.

montanarose
04-16-2004, 06:11 PM
[QUOTE=skateflo]I've been to 2 PSA conventions [and] although I didn't bring skates (am not a coach but a patron member) . . .

Skateflo, I've often thought about joining PSA as a patron member but have wondered exactly what the benefits might be for a non-coach like myself. As a patron member, what do you like about belonging to PSA? Besides the obvious, of course: being able to say you're a member of the "Professional Skaters' Association" and having people think you're actually a "professional" skater :lol:

TIA,
Ellen

skateflo
04-17-2004, 06:54 AM
Ellen,

Why did I become a patron member of PSA? It does not give me any benefits per se. I joined because as an adult and having had wonderful coaches over the years, I developed tremendous respect for the profession and the PSA's desire to continually educate their members. Yes, it has had its problems over the years, but they truly do care about their activities and meeting the needs of their members. I know only 3 adult skaters whereas the coaches at my rink over the years have always been gracious to me from my days in Learn to Skate (1993) as the only adult on the ice.

I've attended several regional PSA meetings and the two national meetings. I like hearing about technique from other perspectives. I like hearing some of their off-hand comments about adult skaters (some positive, some negative,) the difficulties with MIF, judging, and knowing that some problems are universal. I enjoy their magazine although it is not nearly as detailed and in depth as ones from the 80's (I have an extensive skating collection.)

I have also been able to share some of the information I learn with my coach and we discuss things as a result. I've been able to order the tapes and videos from the conferences I attended that I felt would be of value to myself or my coach. No they are not like professional tapes, but they can capture some things quite well. And there have been glitches in the recordings (especially Stamford.) The meetings that I have attended, I keep to myself for the most part as I am not a coach and do not want to be perceived as being a nosey outsider. I have been asked if I am a coach and I honestly tell them 'no.' It has led to some awkwardness but that's okay with me. Sometimes I have responded, 'no, but I am thinking about it' and that seems to ease the atmosphere.

One of my best friends is a skating coach in Scotland, so you might say I have more personal connection with coaches than skaters. I tried being of help to a skating club and got badly burned. I find the mission statement and activities of the PSA member oriented - they are not focused on medals, money, power plays, and growing member clubs.

I am unusual in my non-coach relationship with the PSA. I would not recommend it for skaters whose world revolves around their personal skating, their Club and other USFS/ISI activites. It is not for the skating fan! I would recommend it only to those who have a very special connection to coaching and are skaters. I hope this helps clarify my unusual position.

twokidsskatemom
04-17-2004, 12:12 PM
the pres non coach of a club here is going.Think that our coach is going as well.
:)