View Full Version : 3 Positives and 1 area to improve your skating

gardana
04-14-2004, 07:41 PM
What are three aspects of your skating that you like and 1 aspect you want to improve upon?

Positives:
1. Good lines
2. Good posture/flexibility
3. Pretty good balance

Areas for improvement: Believe me MANY more than just one area needs improvement :oops:

1. speed!!! I'm a snail out there

Isk8NYC
04-14-2004, 09:12 PM
The three things I like about my skating are:

1) I spin very well.
2) I have a lot of speed and power.
3) If I actually practice, I can still do many of my best moves.

My biggest weakness is my footwork and turns. I need to take my time and really practice.

Chico
04-14-2004, 10:30 PM
Three positive things about my skating:

1. jumps I've started working on double loops and flips!
2. work hard
3. flexibility

Something I need to work on:

1. everything!

Chico

icenut84
04-15-2004, 09:01 AM
Nice thread :)

Three things about my skating that I like:
* My spirals - I've been working on them more recently (practicing all 8 of them, 8 edges), and I've noticed quite a bit of improvement. I can do a nice spiral with my leg above hip height and extended on LFO, RFO, LBO, RBO, LBI. I'm also working to improve LFI, RFI and RBI, but they're getting there. Eventually I want to be able to do a good change-edge spiral too. I can also do a catchfoot one.
* I think I have quite good flow.
* Footwork - probably my favourite element out of footwork, jumps and spins. There's still lots of room for improvement, but I love doing it and I've always seemed to pick it up quite quickly.

One thing I really want to improve:
* Spins. I've never been a strong spinner, though I'd love to be. I practice it a lot though, and am making slooow progress, but I'm still relatively spin-challenged.

nerd_on_ice
04-15-2004, 04:40 PM
The good:
1. Stroking. I actually get compliments on it, and while stroking is The Most Basic Skating Skill Ever, I will take praise wherever I can get it.
2. Posture. Ah, ballet, you saved me from being the swaybacked, gangly mess I would otherwise be.
3. Spiral. I can only do them on a flat so far but with good turnout and above hip-height.

The bad and/or ugly:
I'll second gardana and say speed! Fear holds me back a lot and I've started to discover that doing things slowly can actually make them harder. :??

dbny
04-15-2004, 04:48 PM
Three positive things (not easy to figure out)

Strong edges, or so my coach says
Understand new moves right away (just can't do them right away :evil: )
Clean stroking

Needs work:
Why only one thing? I could name a dozen right off the bat.

OK, in a tie for first, we have controlled three turns and spins.

Mrs Redboots
04-16-2004, 05:27 AM
An ability to be amusing on the ice
Forward cross-rolls
Forward inside swing rolls (solo) and outside ones (partnered)
Needs work:

Backwards skating at all levels, from plain vanilla stroking up to and including backwards turns.

And most other things, too, but let's not go there!

Terri C
04-16-2004, 07:44 AM
The three things I do best:
1. Presentation
2. Power
3. Good height on basic jumps (toe loop, salchow)

The one thing I need to work on:
MY BACK CROSSOVERS!! I don't want to think about the speed I'l have when they get cleaned up with no toe pick involved. Maybe the Bronze MIF will help on this one!!

MissIndigo
04-16-2004, 09:17 AM
3 Positives:

1) Edges. Have always had a strong awareness of edges and their value in both basic skating moves and more advanced ones.

2) Spinning ability. I am a very natural spinner and can get 20+ revs on a fast upright scratch spin when everything feels just right. I also picked up on camel and layback spins very easily.

3) Power. I skate fast through my MITF patterns (in practice... :roll: ...won't talk about testing).

Improvement:

Getting over fear of falling out of jumps. I have good technique, so more advanced jumps should be easier for me, but fear holds me back, even though I'm rather young.

NickiT
04-16-2004, 09:57 AM
Three Positives
1. I'm quite strong technically
2. I have good speed
3. I don't let nasty falls put me off

To be Improved
I need to work at my posture and style.

Nicki

tidesong
04-17-2004, 06:26 AM
Positives:
1. Flexible
2. Good height on simple jumps
3. Sit spin

Areas for improvement:

1. edges edges edges edges edges.....

sk8er1964
04-20-2004, 09:28 PM
Now that AN is over and I can use my brain again, I can post a coherant thought :lol: (great thread idea!)

3 positives:

1. Power/speed
2. Footwork (love it)
3. Jumps - I love to do them and don't fear falling. I do, however, have one problem with them and that leads me to.....

1 negative:

My brain. I think too much, analyze too much, and sometimes pressure myself right out of jumps and/or good competitive performances. I need to shut my brain up and just feel the elements. When I do, my skating feels wonderful :D .

jazzpants
04-21-2004, 01:06 AM
Well, this year it would have to be this:

Positives:

Overall skating has noticably improved this year thanks to working on Bronze moves!
Have a decent scratch spin and sit spins on a good day!!!
(Usually) am very VERY diligent about my practice (and that helps me to get steady improvements over time.)
Improvements:

Oh, man!!! EVERYTHING!!!! My skating is better, but it STILL SUCKS!!! :evil: