View Full Version : Ballet for adults: benefits?/Chinese dance

passion
04-14-2004, 06:29 PM
I found Chinese dance extremely beneficial in terms of improving flexibility (we worked on extreme flexibility stretches - particularly the back and torso), rhthym and listening to the music, coordination, breathing, awareness of energy flowing out through fingertips, alignment, strengthening of core, use of eyes and expression of face, "feeling" the music, detail to Chinese hand movements. Even though I won't ever be able to have the 180 degree turn out that ballerinas have, I can still have very good flexibility, alignment, presentation and body awareness. Has anybody seen or taken Chinese dance before? If you have taken it, what do you think are the similarities and differences to ballet? How has it affected your skating? Have you taught skaters who have trained in Chinese dance?

The other part of my question is about taking ballet as an adult. How have you benefited? I feel that unless you have trained for years and years starting as a child, you won't reap the benefits of ballet because it takes years to develop the beautiful lines, gracefulness, and turnout.

gardana
04-14-2004, 10:23 PM
I took a year of ballet when I was 4, and haven't taken any more classes since, so I really can't speak about taking ballet after that. However, while you maybe right that adults who started taking ballet as adults might not have the same success as those who trained as children; I do think ballet is very beneficial.
Ballet helps with flexibility, lines as well as improving presentation. I actually think ballet, along with a flexibility and stregth training class would be really beenficial for most adult skaters.

Aussie Willy
04-15-2004, 07:51 AM
Some of the skaters at our rink started a ballet class this year which is run by an ex-skater. I found the first one very hard work with having to keep tight stomach muscles and also holding the arms the correct way. I don't know if I really enjoyed it but I found it very beneficial and hope it can help me with the artistic aspect of my skating. So I am going to keep on doing it because it is good for me.

quarkiki2
04-15-2004, 10:17 AM
I think that starting ballet at any age would be beneficial, if only because most ballet classes use mirrors and you can actually SEE what your body looks like -- unlike a skating rink where sometimes you get a reflection from the plexi at the boards (if there is any) and that's only when the light is just right.

Being able to see your body in allignment and feel it at the same time is invaluable. It's how you can internalize what your body is supposed to look like in positions.

Ballet works your long muscles and is very good about strengthening all of your core muscles simultaneously because it does take effort to work your legs and arms correctly and in conjunction with each other. Because everything is practiced on both sides, you aren't favoring one side and you are therefore working all muscles evenly. You can reap the effects of this as quickly as you can in any exercise program.

I've never done Chinese dance but it sounds interesting. I like to explore all forms of dance and would love to take a seminar in something like this.

In addition to dance (ballet, tap , modern), I have also practiced Tai Chi and Aikido. These are both very balance-based martial arts and I have found that I transfer skills learned there to skating as well. Anything like that (yoga, Pilates, belly dancing, etc.) can only help you find your balance, coordination, and timing. It's all good!!

passion
04-15-2004, 01:31 PM
My Chinese dance teacher told me that dances (eg. Chinese, ballet, jazz, modern) follow the same principles. It's just the style is different. I geuss that's why people in other disciplines sometimes also take ballet in addition to what they're doing. Perhaps its the ballet that gives you the best foundation for any type of dance.

In Chinese dance, we do bar work too. Some is similar to ballet and some is different. When I took beginner ballet class I found it used the same principles as Chinese dance which I thought was really interesting. Our floor work was different than ballet; some of it was similar to the exercises done by rhthmic gymnasts. I found the biggest advantage/benefit of Chinese dance is the flexibility. The back of a Chinese dancer is extremely flexible. But then, that has also been my crutch in skating. According to my coach, I am too flexible (especially the back) and it always causes problems for me in my jump preparations and layback spin (I bend in the back instead of pushing out my hips).