View Full Version : Fundraising for skaters

Aussie Willy
04-14-2004, 08:01 AM
You might remember a while ago I posted about a coach and her daughter who had organised a trivia night to help fundraise for the daughter's skating. The problem that happened here was the clubs had also organised a trivia night which really stole the thunder from the fundraiser for all skaters, not just one.

Anyway at our Easter competition on Monday, this coach put a coffee machine which she is using for her daughter's fundraising next to the club's fundraising raffle prizes. This coach also went from club member to club member to see who would let her do this (which she finally found one). She was being sneaky and underhanded but in a "nice" way (that is her manner).

Most of us are getting really annoyed that she is trying to fundraise for her kid on the back of club events and basically she is going to be spoken to about it and refused permission to do this in future. But why is her daughter any more important than all the other skaters? And I think she really does have a cheek to ask the rest of us for money when most of us are stuggling to pay for our own skating. If she was going overseas to compete then I think most of us would be happy to help, but this is just the kid's training, nothing else.

So your opinions gratefully received on this one. And has this kind of thing happened at your rink and how have you dealt with it?

BTW - the competition was really good fun. Everyone went away feeling very positive. This was a negative vibe though that our small community can really do without.

garyc254
04-14-2004, 09:08 AM
This coach definitely needs to be banned from personal fundraising during club events. You're right, what cheek!!!

TashaKat
04-14-2004, 02:47 PM
She's completely overstepping the line and sound like a 'real' skate mom ..... BUT she's using her professional capacity to take the 'p'. She should definitely be spoken to and, personally, I think that she should be reported. As a coach (which is how she's 'getting away' with these things) she should be impartial, she isn't being fair to the other skaters. She is behaving in an unprofessional manner.

Failing that she could be bound and gagged and thrown down a very deep well ;)