View Full Version : Here we go again...

Schmeck
04-08-2004, 02:31 PM
My darling 12 yr old daughter has decided that she wants to do synchro again, after one year on a youth intro team, then a year off. But now she wants to try out for an Intermediate team! 8O She hasn't even tested pre-pre moves yet. She'd have to get pre-pre and preliminary moves done by December for her to be eligible to skate at sectionals. Any idea if this is at all possible? She's finished all of the USFSA Basic Skills levels, including the 6 freestyle ones, and knows the pre-pre moves. But isn't it a bit harder to pass Preliminary?

Stormy
04-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Well, as always, depends on the skater. :) It's definitely possible, though!! December is a looong ways off. If she knows Pre-Pre, and her coach thinks they're passable, have her test them. Prelim isn't a "hard" test, but the judges like to see good solid basics and good technique. I am sure she'll be able to pass both by December. I think I know which team she wants to try out for, too. That's so exciting, because that's a great organization of teams. GOOD LUCK to her!! :)

Schmeck
04-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Stormy, is it so obvious? :roll: I know, I've been frantically trying to get info from synchroboard, etc, since she dropped this bomb in my lap a week ago, LOL! The whole country must know what team Icy wants to try out for...

backspin
04-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Hi Schmeck,

Of course it does depend on the skater, but those two moves levels should be very doable in 9 months. Get her a good moves coach, & make sure she practices them VERY faithfully. It will be good motivation that she has to get these if she wants to try out for the synchro team. Good luck w/ it all!

morganm
04-09-2004, 01:46 PM
Okay I guess I'm the only synchromom who doesn't know which team you mean! I vaguely remember thinking from your posts in the past that she was on SE.
But back to the topic - she should be able to pass the moves without much difficulty if she buckles down and works at it . In all the years we've been involved, I can think of only 1 kid not passing prepre moves and only a couple that didn't pass preliminary on the first try. I'd get her on a test session ASAP after she's learned the moves.
Also, we don't know what will come out of governing council - they could vote to raise the reqs again this year which means prejuvenile moves for intermediate.

Schmeck
04-11-2004, 01:56 PM
If they do vote to raise the bar, so to speak, it wouldn't affect this year though, would it? I thought that they were eventually going to raise the moves requirements every year or so, to get them in line with the actual name of the level. I know most of our local, really good teams (Haydenettes, Colonials, etc) are made up of skaters who have already passed their moves for their level - the intermediates have passed intermediate moves, etc.

Icy wants to try out for one of The Storm teams. She's hoping for Intermediate, but will most likely end up on Youth Intro.