View Full Version : "Ranking" jumps?

gardana
04-07-2004, 02:53 PM
Is there anyway to rank the jumps-from hardest to easiest?

Usually the axel is considered the hardest, but other then that I'm not sure where the other 5 jumps fit in.

alexeiluvr
04-07-2004, 03:16 PM
Usually it depends on the skater, but on average (easiest to hardest) it goes
1. Salchow
2. Toe loop
3. Loop
4. Flip
5. Lutz
6. Axel

For me it's the opposite though- I can consistently land double lutzes but my double sal is totally inconsistent! Like I said, depends on the skater.

NoVa Sk8r
04-07-2004, 03:31 PM
As for "ranking" the jumps: according to the CoP, the toe loop is rated easier (i.e., given fewer points) than the salchow. At least for the triples.

For me, as well as just about everyone else I know, learning the single toe loop was much easier than the salchow.

But I've had much more success in attempting the double salchow than the double toe.

Isk8NYC
04-07-2004, 07:34 PM
I remember learning the jumps in this order:

1. Waltz Jump
2. Toe loop
3. Salchow
4. Flip
5. Loop
6. Lutz
7. Axel

That's the way I teach it because the skills build on each other to get to the higher level jumps.

I vaguely remember there being a published list with each jump, from Waltz Jump to triples, listed with a "Level of Difficulty" (LOD) assigned to each jump, but this was over 10 years ago. It was probably part of the old USFSA rulebook because ISIA doesn't usually get that technical. I remember being suprised that the list gave a Lutz the same LOD as an Axel (1.5, I think.)

sk8er1964
04-08-2004, 12:37 PM

1. Waltz Jump
2. Toe loop
3. Salchow
4. Flip
5. Loop
6. Lutz
7. Axel

That's the way I teach it because the skills build on each other to get to the higher level jumps.

I vaguely remember there being a published list with each jump, from Waltz Jump to triples, listed with a "Level of Difficulty" (LOD) assigned to each jump, but this was over 10 years ago. It was probably part of the old USFSA rulebook because ISIA doesn't usually get that technical. I remember being suprised that the list gave a Lutz the same LOD as an Axel (1.5, I think.)

Is this what you were thinking of?

http://sk8stuff.com/f_basic_ref/jump_table.htm

twokidsskatemom
04-08-2004, 01:13 PM

1. Waltz Jump
2. Toe loop
3. Salchow
4. Flip
5. Loop
6. Lutz
7. Axel

my dd coach teaches the same way.

Isk8NYC
04-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Is this what you were thinking of?
That's it, and the source is listed as the USFSA rulebook, which is what I thought. Oddly enough, the Level of Difficulty for the Axel and Lutz are different in this table, which is not what I remember. Hmmm. Maybe I was (or am) delusional!

Thanks for the link.

icyboid
04-14-2004, 12:39 AM
When I was taking lessons, we learned the no-rotation "bunny hop" first, then a "ballet jump" (half-toe), and a half-flip.

Then I learned it:
waltz/toe ("/" meaning lessons included about an equal amount of time practicing both jumps)
salchow/loop
flip/lutz (I picked these up almost instantaneously)
double toe
axel

The weird thing about me is that I could do the double toe before I landed my first clean axel. This weird development patterned continued because I could do the double LUTZ next, and the double flip soon after.

The other thing is that I never learned the double salchow, and I never got past that level of ISI even though I had the harder doubles down.

passion
04-15-2004, 01:37 PM
Is the double toe really easier to learn than the double salchow? That's what I'm working on now. How long did it take to learn a double toe?

MQSeries
04-15-2004, 02:17 PM
I don't think so, but it depends on the skater. When I was skating I could not for the life of me get the entrance into the 2toe correct and consistent. I tried RFI 3-turns and LFO 3-turns... One day I would have a good entrance and land the 2toes fine; the next day my entrance would be all over the place, and I couldn't even get off the ground. The 2sal, on the other and, I could land with a 90% consistency rate and used to do it in combo with 2lp or 2toe. Ah, talking about skating brought back some good memories, but I'm glad I quit a while ago.

icyboid
04-16-2004, 04:44 PM
Is the double toe really easier to learn than the double salchow? That's what I'm working on now. How long did it take to learn a double toe?

Well, I was sort of a freak at the rink when it came to learning jumps. All the other skaters had their double sal as their first double. The toe loop was always my strongest jump because I had a quick snap and "pop" into the air.

Another weird thing is that I entered my toe loop almost like a lutz. A long one foot glide with the left toe held to the ankle of the right foot, and then I shot the left leg out behind me and whacked it in.

My Salchow was pathetic even as a single jump -- in fact, when my coach and I used slow motion in my videos, I tended to rock on a back outside edge when taking off. 8O

icedream
04-17-2004, 07:22 PM
i think this is how i would rank my jumps from easiest to hardest:

1. waltz jump
2. loop
3. toe loop
4. flip
5. salchow (i stink at these)
6. lutz
7. axel

dooobedooo
04-17-2004, 07:26 PM
What about combination jumps? How are they ranked when judged?

Would 3.2.2 be harder than 3.3 for example?