View Full Version : My first competition!!!!!

quarkiki2
04-05-2004, 11:47 AM
Hello all!!

I just got back from my first competition this weekend and it was a blast! My adult synchro team competed at ISI Synchro Nationals this weekend. It was our first real competition and, for many of us, the first time we'd ever seen another synchro team skate -- let alone any other adult team! Our team has only been in existence for about two years and the only other competition we skated in was last year and we were the only team entered (I wasn't on the team yet).

I was so excited to be there. Our team had literally no idea what to expect -- we have no frame of reference and four of the 16 of us have only been skating for two years (including me). We were already down one member who was in and out of the hospital with a nasty infection this past week, so our coach had to jump in as an alternate. Then I ended up not skating because we had a collision during practice and I ended up injured.

Here's what I remember of the collision: we were skating backwards and I was feeling pretty good -- we were faster than ever and then I heard the click of death as another skater and I got our feet tangled. We were going opposite directions and she and her partner fell forward (her partner got a nasty bruise on her knee). I fell backwards HARD. I heard "click", thought the uh part of uh-oh, then wham! My head hit the ice. I saw stars, then the ceiling of the rink, then about six of my teammate's faces as the all bent over me. I laid on the ice for a minute or two because I wasn't sure I could get up or not, but when someone asked if I wanted a stretcher I though that would be the worst way to get off the ice at my first competition, so I skated off on my own. There was a nurse rinkside who said my right eye was tracking a little slower than my left, so we decided it would be best for me not to skate our qualifying round. I did go to the hospital after our qualifying and the doctor there told me I had a mild concussion and that I shouldn't skate the final round, either. I was very (very) disappointed and it was all I could do to not cry in the ER. :cry:

Anyway, back to the competition. On our way to Chicago, we had been talking and thought that we would be very lucky to place 5th out of 6th, so our expectations were to basically have fun and be glad that we were competing. We really had no idea how anyone else would skate or what their programs would be like or anything.

My team skated better than they had ever skated before in the qualifying round. I stood on the sides cheering, but they skated really, really well. Our straight line pinwheel was absolutely straight and faster than they'd ever skated it. That alone was a success. We got the word when I was in the hospital waiting room that we'd tied for first in the qualifying round and I seriously thought it was a joke!

Sunday was the final round and our team was skating the best program I'd ever seen them skate (even better than the qualifying). I was absolutely amazed at how straight the lines were and how well synchronized they were skating! Then there was a fall in the footwork circle, but the two skaters that went down somehow managed to keep their hand holds and get back up in a matter of 6 or 7 counts. Then it finished as usual. I was so proud of them for skating so well and for bouncing right back up after a fall. The circle didn't even break and the rest kept skating as if nothing happened.

I don't know how the judges made their decision -- all of the teams had some really terrific stuff in their programs. Mel on Ice's team had a WONDERFUL footwork block and a FABULOUS double pinwheel. Yay Mel, you ROCK!!! :bow: We placed second, which was an absolute shock -- completely unexpected, especially considering the quality of the other teams.

I think our whole team was just thrilled to be there. It was so nice to see other adult skaters and to finally meet some forum friends. We cheered for all of the teams because we know how hard it is to get out there and try this stuff. Even though I am disappointed that I didn't get to skate, I am still so happy that we gave it a shot. I met some truly terrific adult skaters and we watched some amazing teams skate this weekend (those teen teams FLY around the rink -- ohmigosh were they great!!!).

This was such a positive experience and I am just so very proud of all of the skaters, especially us adults, who skated this past weekend. 8-) 8-) 8-)

garyc254
04-05-2004, 12:09 PM
Sorry to hear you didn't get to skate. :cry: So glad your team did well and everyone enjoyed. :D

Isn't Mel-On-Ice terrific? They just don't make them any better than her.

I haven't heard the complete rundown on the competition from my girlfriend yet, but she had a great time skating except for the final round on Sunday. She was fighting back tears because her daughter's team was skating on the other rink at the same time she was skating. She wanted to be there.

Hope your head is better. Lots of ice. ;)

Oh, and don't forget to think vertical the next time you skate. Horizontal hurts too much. :lol:

quarkiki2
04-05-2004, 12:48 PM
Yes, she did say that she was torn because she wanted to see her daughter skate. I think I saw that team skate in the preliminary round and they were AMAZING!!! Wow! So fast and secure!

I was very glad to have met your girlfriend, too, she seems awesome!

Yes, I do recommend VERTICAL to horizontal.

sk8er1964
04-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Congrats on your first competition, even if you had to cheer from the sidelines. Aren't they fun? I'll bet at the next one you'll be back in the program! :D

garyc254
04-05-2004, 01:03 PM
I think I saw that team skate in the preliminary round and they were AMAZING!!! Wow! So fast and secure!

Her daughter not only skates on the team, but is their coach. She choreographs the entire program (with input on changes from the team) and designs all of the outfits. Not bad for an 18 year old. My girlfriend cuts their music and assists with costume design.

I was very glad to have met your girlfriend, too, she seems awesome!

Thanks. I'm kinda fond of her, too. :D

Mel On Ice
04-05-2004, 02:11 PM
We had a great time too, and I was very glad to meet you quarkiki, although I was startled the introduction was with a bag of ice on your head. Wasn't it fun to watch all the other adult skaters compete without the kid's volume on 12? Kudos to the first place team's Fosse number, although I don't care if it gets me a million gold medals, on-ice splits will NOT be coming from me any time soon.

Congrats to your team quarkiki for skating a cool program (and second place!), I remember how pretty and effective the transition into your straight line was at the beginning of your program. You guys recovered from your fall so quickly, it was almost as if it didn't happen. And I'm always a sucker for big band. Woohoo!

We skated a great compulsory program, probably the best we ever have skated that program, and we travelled our 3 spoke wheel unintentionally. We got first!

We also skated a great qualifying round program and got 1st again! A small scare on the back passthroughs, I kept looking over my left shoulder for the skater who was supposed to pass me by and never found her until we were back to back. A quick spin and we were back where we needed to be, with NO fall and NO interruption in the flow of the program.

On Sunday, we skated clean, but a little flat. I think we skated to win on Saturday, and skated to get it over with on Sunday. Talking it over after we skated, I remembered I made two mistakes in the circular footwork, then someone else chimed in that she made a mistake on the back passthroughs, then I think most of us admitted to a mistake or two.

Two golds and a bronze? I'll take that home anytime.

quarkiki2
04-05-2004, 02:57 PM
Hey, Mel!

Yes, that music was pretty loud in the other arena, LOL! Though my favorite thing was the kids that screamed when results were posted. EEEEeeee!! I asked our coach if she screamed when our qualifying results were posted and said she was just shocked and speechless. I think the team reaction was "No way!"

I loved your compulsary program -- it was fun to watch and looked fun to skate. And great costumes! I thought you pinwheel was supposed to travel, LOL, it moved so smoothly!

I wish we could have seen you qualifying. I was all excited when I saw that your team won the group -- and with the highest score of all the adult teams! I didn't see the scores from yesterday -- actually, I couldn't even tell you what the scores meant because I have no idea what the deductions are or what they're looking for or anything (like I said, I'm a newbie!!).

On ice splits...well... If we include them in any program I'll be the one doing them, LOL! Though I'm big enough that they'd better be a final pose or no one will be able to pull me up out of them, LOL! I about passed out when our coach suggested that we try what some of the youth teams are doing with the Y-spiral on the end of a pinwheel spoke. Well, there are only three of us who can get that position and I one, though I absolutely cannot do that on the ice. No way, nu-uh!

Congrats again to Mel and her team and anyone else who is lurking and skated. It was a great event!!!!

jestemkkool
04-05-2004, 05:02 PM
I about passed out when our coach suggested that we try what some of the youth teams are doing with the Y-spiral on the end of a pinwheel spoke. Well, there are only three of us who can get that position and I one, though I absolutely cannot do that on the ice. No way, nu-uh!

and why wouldn't you want to do a Y-spiral on the ice? I tried them thinking they would be really hard but if you get up enough speed, they are easier on the ice than on the ground!
well, conrgrats to all who competed!

dbny
04-06-2004, 12:29 AM
Congratulations Quark & Mel! Sorry you didn't get to skate with your team Quark, but you seem to have had a great time all the same. How are you feeling now?

quarkiki2
04-06-2004, 09:06 AM
Well, Sunday I felt like I'd been run over by a truck -- my butt hurt, my ribs hurt, my neck hurt and my head hurt.

Most of the muscle aching in my neck and ribs is gone today, but my butt and head still hurt because they're bruised.

It's a good thing that I wear my hair in such a way that I don't need to brush it :roll:

Cinderella
04-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Quarkiki - what a great post and thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry to hear about the dreaded "click," but your attitude about your first competition shows that you are a professional at heart! I'm sure next time when you're able to join your teammates that you, too, will share in medal-phoria.

Hope things are back to normal for you.