View Full Version : ANs: Need Info

Raine
04-05-2004, 06:42 AM
Hi, everyone.

Last year, information about social events, seminars, etc. was included in the original info packet. It all sounded very exciting. This year, there's been little info forthcoming.

I'm on the fence about attending Nationals, and I would like to know more before I commit a week's worth of vacation time, a lengthy drive, and a lot of money to this event. I'm neither skating nor competing well, so the ancillary events have taken on more importance for sure. ;)

Does anyone have any inside information? I'm surprised vis-a-vis the lack of communications to participants at this late date.

Cheers,
Raine

Michigansk8er
04-05-2004, 07:51 PM
It's hard to tell what they will do this year, but the year I competed in Lake Placid they had some good seminars. I can't remember all of them, but I do remember an off-ice jumping class. It was very crowded, however, so I never got to try. It was interesting watching though. As for social events, there was a get-together the last night with a fun video to watch. My social activities were more in making new friends and watching as many skating events as possible. I had considered not going, but I'm glad I did. I ended up skating a lot better than I'd anticipated, and made the finals. I understand where you are coming from though. It's very expensive to spend a week in Lake Placid, and vacation time is a definite consideration too. Any chance you could carpool with someone? I ended up finding a group to ride with last minute. I'm so glad I didn't drive the 12 hours by myself. I actually think I would have scratched, in that case.

I hope you get information soon. It does seem like you should have all of that by now. Lake Placid is an awesome venue, but my experience has been that Ann Arbor is more organized. Good luck on a tough decision.

Raine
04-06-2004, 06:18 AM
Michigansk8er, thanks for your response!

Last year I attended the Charlie Butler seminar, which was fun. Also, I introduced myself to a lot of people, and everyone was nice and seemed to be having a good time.

This time around, there were plans to carpool and rent a house with a group of skaters, which I was excited about, but that didn't work out, so I'm basically on my own.

We're very short of staff at work, and the extra hours I've been putting in, plus a cold and a stomach virus in the last two weeks have cut into my skating practice time, not to mention two subpar competitions. I'm exhausted and stressed out--I'm trying to think of LP as a vacation primarily...

Cheers,
Raine

Michigansk8er
04-06-2004, 07:55 AM
Have fun if you go...................it might just be the vacation you need!

I attended Charlie's seminar too. It was great, even though I couldn't do much because of my back. I loved those running crossovers. :D

techskater
04-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Raine - if you are looking for a crowd to hang out with, you are more than welcome to join our merry little bad. What are you skating?

sk8er1964
04-06-2004, 08:54 PM
I can vouch that techskater's merry little band is one heck of a lot of fun! :D

Raine
04-07-2004, 08:44 AM
Merry little band--what a riot! :lol: I'm skating Bronze III.

SkateGuard
04-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Bronze III--perfect! We'll all be there to cheer on our Bronze I's and II. Just look for where the menagerie stuffed critters are coming from... :D

Erin
How can the Cubs and Red Wings be losing at the same time?! :cry:

ask8ingcat
04-07-2004, 08:04 PM
I haven't received any info yet :( I'm not even sure if I'm on the shuttle to Lake Placid when I get into Albany on Sunday. Anyone staying at the Mirror Lake Inn? I'll be there by my little old lonesome self.
C

dani
04-07-2004, 08:29 PM
I got my info today - I am in Bronze IIC and Interp IIA! Can't wait!

Raine
04-08-2004, 09:47 AM
Bronze III--perfect! We'll all be there to cheer on our Bronze I's and II. Just look for where the menagerie stuffed critters are coming from...

Thanks, Erin! Best of luck to all of the younger Bronzes!

Dani, did you get info for all of the groups, or just your own group? I'd love to see if any long-lost friends will be competing this year.

Cheers,
Raine

dani
04-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Just mine ;-)

I would like to know my friends groups and even how many people are in mine! ;-)

Hugs!
Danielle

PattyP
04-08-2004, 01:56 PM
Anyone staying at the Mirror Lake Inn? I'll be there by my little old lonesome self.
C

Hi C,

A big group of us from the So Cal area are staying at the Hilton. One of the skaters put together a package deal for us. We aren't arriving until Monday though. But if you are by yourself, feel free to come over and hang out with us!

PattyP

jazzpants
04-08-2004, 02:06 PM
I haven't received any info yet :( I'm not even sure if I'm on the shuttle to Lake Placid when I get into Albany on Sunday. Anyone staying at the Mirror Lake Inn? I'll be there by my little old lonesome self.
CHey, c!
Mistress Coach isn't coming? AWWWW!!! :(

Mirror Lake Inn? FANCY!!! :mrgreen: You're going for a spa treatment while there? :P

Good luck to all you guys!!!

flo
04-09-2004, 09:33 AM
The hot tub at the Mirror lake in was great! We have a house - Paradise point on Saranac avenue. In '96 when we were in Lake Placid, our group (about 30 0f us) had a opening ceremony. We marched down mainstreet down to the rink at midnight with banners and waved to the crowd. We put our coach in the back of my miata and played Copeland. Somewhere it's all on film.