View Full Version : Who's doing what?

Mrs Redboots
04-03-2004, 04:49 AM
As Easter is fast approaching so, I gather, are the Adult Nationals in the USA - wish I could be with you to watch, but I can't, so lots of good wishes.

But what other competitions are people doing this summer? We seem to be having the quietest summer ever for competitions, as we can't do two of the main ones we normally do for other reasons. So we are only doing the Mountain Cup and Bracknell this year, and, I expect, Oxford Seniors and the Dune of Flanders Cup, but those are a long way away yet.

Is anybody going to Estonia?

NickiT
04-03-2004, 04:54 AM
I'm doing Bracknell this year (well I can't exactly not do it can I?!!), and hopefully the British Adults at Sheffield in the autumn! Not a lot else for adult free skaters in the UK.

Nicki

twinkle
04-03-2004, 07:24 AM
I'm doing Bracknell, I can't do the British Adults because they have raised the minimum age to 21 :cry:

jp1andOnly
04-03-2004, 08:45 AM
Am probably not skating in the summer :cry: I am going to be in school from 8am-1pm working on masters classes for my degree. This is for the month of July. I do have August off but am probably going out of town for 2 week.

Money is the big issue. As a teacher I don't get paid in the summer. I will have enough for rent and my expenses but probably won't have enough left over for skating. I am going to try and guest skate once a week. Maybe I'll even skate for one week in the summer. If I do skate there is a summer competition out here that I hope has adult events. I'm still a little self conscious to compete with the kiddies. If this plan fails I'll be doing fall competitions.

slusher
04-03-2004, 09:19 AM
I'm curious about this Adult camp at Lake Placid in the summer that I hear about. I'm a beginner, working on preliminary dances, and actually during the summer I am in upper New York state, not that far from Lake Placid. Can people still learning 3 turns ( I can do mohawks and skate backwards) go to this? Do you take your own coach with you or are there group lessons? I don't know why I'm asking since I'm broke as anything, but what the heck.

techskater
04-03-2004, 09:34 AM
It's for all levels of skaters, so yes you can go. It's broken by level and they assign you to groups based on what level you are at. You generally don't bring your coach as it is an independent third party with a different teaching method...

SkateGuard
04-03-2004, 10:44 AM
I was in the pre-bronze/bronze group when I went to the USFSA camp in Chicago. It was a great experience, and there were lots of skaters who had just started freestyle.

There was one class--circuit training--where almost everyone was having trouble. It hadn't been "dumbed down" enough for the beginners, and I only got through it because at the time, I was focused on dance and moves. It was a series of moves to fast music, including outside mohawks and cross rolls, both of which are now Silver-level moves.

The other coaches were wonderful at realizing that we were beginning skaters and teaching us at the appropriate level....all of them focused on the elements that were on the Pre-Bronze and Bronze tests (backspins, single jumps, prelim/pre-juv moves). And this was quite an accomplished group of coaches.

My recommendation...get in the pre-bronze/bronze group and if it's something that you feel is way beyond your level (i.e., axels) speak up! The coaches will usually change (i.e. waltz-toes instead of axels).

Erin
(who will never forget how Oleg Vassiliev did a jump class with the full realization that only a handful of us had solid flips and lutzes...he focused on techniques to get us good full-rotation singles!)

montanarose
04-03-2004, 11:49 PM
My husband has just given me a birthday present of a week at the Aspen (Colorado) Adult Skating camp, coming up in August. Anne Margreth Frei, she of the "Magic Of Style" videos, will be one of the guest instructors.

I must admit to being somewhat suspicious of his real motivation, however, as I know he's planning to bring along his fly-fishing gear and golf clubs for the week ;-)

Ellen

jenlyon60
04-04-2004, 05:54 AM
Am hoping to go to both the Adult Camp in Hackensack and the August Adult week at Lake Placid.

johnfisher
04-04-2004, 09:39 AM
I'm going to the mountain cup at long last :) However for some reason, which seemed like a good one at the time, I am going to be skating Masters instead of Gold. :o Now that I'm trying to put together a program that is 3.20 long it is seeming like quite a bad idea! Jumping whilst completely exhausted never seem like a very good idea (hence my skating a big circle at the end of my programme at Dunkerque. Said circle was due to have a double sal in it, but when it came to it the brain said forget it and I just carried on round into the step sequence :oops: :oops: :lol: )

What's more, I'm going to be doing my first interp :!: :!: :!: The exact nature of which will be remaining a closely guarded secret :twisted:

John

Mrs Redboots
04-05-2004, 12:23 PM
I'm going to the mountain cup at long last :) Brilliant! Where are you staying?
However for some reason, which seemed like a good one at the time, I am going to be skating Masters instead of Gold. :o Now that I'm trying to put together a program that is 3.20 long it is seeming like quite a bad idea! :twisted: You do know, don't you, that it's even worse at altitude...... :twisted:

What's more, I'm going to be doing my first interp :!: :!: :!: The exact nature of which will be remaining a closely guarded secret :twisted: JohnI shall look forward to it. Mine is always a secret if I haven't performed it before, and I've got a new one since the Dune of Flanders! However, if it works, I'll be doing it at Bracknell and at the British Adults, and then perhaps the Dune of Flanders, so everybody will be tired of it....