View Full Version : What is your biggest asset as an adult skater?

passion
03-30-2004, 12:48 PM
I'm sure all of us know what crutches we have as adult skaters (internal and external). I would like to find out from other adults what their assets are as an adult skater.

For me, noone pushes me out there to skate. It's all coming from within. It's something that I can claim as my own and it's 100% pure love for the sport. The passion drives me to skate.

Clarice
03-30-2004, 01:21 PM
One of mine is innate musicality - I'm a professional musician, so that's hardly surprising. While musicality won't be something that necessarily belongs to every adult skater, I think we all have things we've learned from our greater life experience that we can bring to our skating. Another thing I think adults are good at is knowing how to use our limited practice time to the greatest advantage. Not that the kids can't do this - some of them certainly can - but we've certainly had a lot of experience with goal setting and time management.

Mel On Ice
03-30-2004, 01:23 PM
Creativity. I like demonstrate to the kids you can think outside the box and introduce music that you wouldn't ordinarily use for skating. Jim Croce's "Roller Derby Queen" was particularly inspiring. :lol:

Sk8r4Life
03-30-2004, 02:00 PM
I think it's maturity. As an adult skater I have more maturity to really spend all my practice time actually practicing, and better time-management skills like Clarice mentioned. But maturity also helps a lot with presentation. I'm a lot more conscious of presenting to the crowd/judges and about my in-between skating than I was when I was young and just trying to make sure I landed my axel.

Ironically, I'm also in much better shape now, especially when it comes to endurance. I do a lot more off-ice training and stretching and I spend more time warming up before getting onto the ice. I also do a lot of cross-training with other aerobic exercises and weight training. When I was young, skating was my ONLY physical activity. I think this has really enhanced my performance.

quarkiki2
03-30-2004, 02:10 PM
Body awareness. I really appreciate that I can concentrate on, say, my feet and not have the rest of me flop all over. Many of the kids I skate with have a difficult time controlling their whole body at once (as they should -- it's still growing).

I also have good arms. Fifteen years of ballet count for something there! I take pride that one of my instructors told me that if no one ever looked at my feet, they would think I was the best skater on the ice, hee hee! Now, if only my stinkin' feet could catch up...

Isk8NYC
03-30-2004, 02:59 PM
Lack of fear. (aka: stupidity) Once I've learned something, I try not to hesistate or be tentative about attempting it. Be confident and you accomplish more.

TashaKat
03-30-2004, 03:24 PM
My butt is my biggest asset (it was supposed to read a.s.s but all I got was stars!) ;)

Apart from that it was my ability not to be frightened of trying jumps, new moves, butterfly etc (though footwork has always given me the heebie jeebies). You could call it bravery, or maybe stupidity! :roll:

skatingatty
03-30-2004, 04:03 PM
I'd agree w/passion's post- adults skate for the pure joy and fun of skating. No one is pushing us to skate. Just on Sunday, I was at a public session, and both women sitting in the eating area were scolding their little kids for not practicing enough and goofing off on the ice. I always hear that kind of talk from parents in the lobbies, bathrooms, or eating areas at rinks. Then there are kids/teens that I know who want to quit, but their parents are making them continue. I hope when they become adults, skating will be a fun hobby for them to return to.

Other bonuses of being an adult skater include not having to get new boots or skating outfits as often b/c we're not growing anymore.

PattyP
03-30-2004, 05:34 PM
Being able to skate at Adult Nationals without having to qualify! Okay, that's not MY asset, but it is an asset!

As several have already said, skating for the pure joy of it. Some of us waited 30 years for this childhood dream to come true!

AnnM
03-30-2004, 05:59 PM
1.) A nice graceful flow across the ice. I'm not sure where it comes from, but I'm sure glad to have it. :)

2.) An interest in the right technique. I would much rather take a longer amount of time to learn a move, jump or spin the right way rather than doing something 'cheated' just for the sake of progressing up the ranks faster.

kayskate
03-30-2004, 06:06 PM
I am fortunate to possess an innate spinning ability. As an adult, I skate purely for fun and am able to enjoy my strengths rather than dwell on my weaknesses. While I continue to strive to improve my basic skating, I do not worry about beating myself up w/ advanced jumps. ALready tried it and had to give it up.

Kay

Elsy2
03-30-2004, 06:57 PM
I have been so lucky that most of the time I have skated my best at competition, sometimes skating a clean program when I had never done one in practice. So, I think my asset is the ability to rise to the occasion and do well (against the odds many times!) :)

dbny
03-30-2004, 07:18 PM
Maybe because I had to have everything explained to me in great technical detail as a kid (roller skating), I can now see a move and know immediately what it is in most cases. I learn more now by demo than by explanation.

SK8RX
03-30-2004, 08:22 PM
My coaches have been my greatest assets. They believe in me, motivate me, and always make it enjoyable and fun. Yeah coaches!

Chico
03-30-2004, 10:51 PM
I guess my biggest positive as an adult skater is my smaller stature. I'm pretty sure this is what my coach would say.

Chico

Aussie Willy
03-31-2004, 02:29 AM
For me it is musicality (having learnt music for years). It really helps with ice dancing and being able to get the timing. And when it comes to program music selection, I have been able to pick pieces of music that most people have liked, and also pieces that have not been done before because I listen to a wide variety of music.

Oh and being a trivia buff, I will be organising our next club trivia night!!!

Keely
03-31-2004, 10:53 AM
Assets:
A stubborn willingness to fall multiple times if it helps me learn a skill faster. Wrist guards, knee pads, and crash pants help me out there :D

Also I'm in quite good shape overall so I don't feel I'm slowed down by weak muscles or being overweight or inflexible (though my flexibility needs work.)

I've been told I look very graceful whatever I'm doing on the ice, but I squint hard at that one because I don't FEEL graceful...

Mrs Redboots
03-31-2004, 11:34 AM
Mine is an ability to make people laugh when on the ice. Mind you, I'd far rather they didn't do it when I'm dancing......:frus:

dooobedooo
03-31-2004, 02:47 PM
A thick skin ...!

CanAmSk8ter
03-31-2004, 03:09 PM
The ability to get on the ice and get the job done in practice. As a kid, I'd kind of go out and do what I thought I was supposed to practice, and I'd do it a few times and then try it with music, and then move on to something else, and when my session was over I'd get off. When I was still competing in singles, I'd often spend half a session or more trying to land the same jump. My coach finally had to start telling me, "No more than xxx attempts at xyz in a session", and sometimes I listened and sometimes I didn't. Now, I get out there, warm up the way I'm supposed to, practice in a strategic manner, break down what I'm having trouble with, and if I can't seem to get something I (usually) move on to something else I'm supposed to be working on, rather than practice something wrong and develop bad muscle memory. If I'm not sure what to practice, or how to practice something, I ask my coach rather than just making a halfhearted guess.

passion
03-31-2004, 05:29 PM
My energy is limited, my body is limited, my time and money are limited, so I have to plan my skating time strategically and well. Makes me make the most of my time.

Michigansk8er
03-31-2004, 06:43 PM
I'm fortunate that a backspin came easily to me.

Being able to skate at Adult Nationals without having to qualify!

It is great isn't it? :) I like to think we do qualify........we just wait until we are there to do it. :) :) :)

jazzpants
03-31-2004, 07:20 PM
A sense of humor... to handle all the insults and snide comments that our coaches throws at us and our own assessment of how we really skate! :lol: