View Full Version : Stress Fracture

Carleenp
03-28-2004, 06:48 PM
Besides skating, I do a lot of Irish dance. Between the two I have likely developed a stress fracture in my right foot (4th metatarsal). The films were negative, but I'm told that is normal and the diagnosis is the same. I see a PT tomorrow to figure out how to wrap or brace it. Interestingly, it does not hurt to dance but it hurts to walk and skate.

Anyway, has anyone here had a stress fracture? If so, how long were you out of action and how did you wrap or brace it to help it heal? Any suggestions for future prevention? I know that activity being suddenly increased is the main cause, but I wonder if something about my foot mechanics or skates contributed to it. My boots tend to make my feet sore in that area when I work on outside edges. Also, I have very high arches. I'll ask the PT all of this, but thought I would see if anyone here has any wisdom to share!

Sk8Bunny
03-28-2004, 09:23 PM
Oh no, Im so sorry to hear you have a stress fracture! These are the worst!!! I had one about 1 1/2 yrs ago. It was in the ankle of my landing foot- NOT FUN! :roll: I had a bone scan done to confirm I had the fracture, and then I spent an entire month doing no jumps on the ice. I was only allowed to skate a little bit each day, like an hour. For the first 3 weeks I couldnt do sit spins and stuff, only stratch spins, stroking and moves in the feild. I had to be really careful of not over-bending my ankle when I was skating. After 4 weeks I was allowed to do single jumps, only up to lutz. I wasnt even allowed to do axels. It wasnt until 6 weeks after the diagnosis that I was able to fully train again with doubles and flying spins and stuff. Best advice I can give is to really let it heal. I know soooo many skaters who ignore the pain and the doctors orders and continue to skate full-out or dont give the injury the proper time to heal. Sadly, the people I know who have done this dont skate anymore. It was really really difficult forcing myself to take it slow and not to jump before I was healed. BUT it was worth it. I did physical therapy and rehab stuff and it helped tremendously. I wore a small, thin, plastic brace device thing that helped stabilize my ankle when I walked(like when I was at school I wore it), but as for skating, I never wrapped it. For future prevention, I make sure my boots aren't broken down. I get new ones when they start showing signs of being too worn. Part of my stress fracture was due to bad, broken down boots I had been skating in. My best advice is to take it slow!! True - if you have to be off the ice/skating less, its gonna drive you nuts!!! LOL. But in the end it will be worth it!

peaches
03-28-2004, 10:42 PM
Follow the doctors orders and let it heal. Don't push it or you'll be off the ice even longer.

I had a stress fracture 4 years ago in my left shin. At first I thought it was just shin splints, so I iced it and took a lot of Advil. By the time I was in enough pain to warrant going to see a doctor, it was no longer just shin splints. :( I was only supposed to be off the ice for 4-6 weeks, but because I was in the middle of producing a holiday project, I was on my feet for 8-12 hours a day. As a result of not being able to stay off of it, it took me a full 3 months to heal. Not fun. Now I feel it every time it's going to rain.

NickiT
03-29-2004, 02:41 AM
Having suffered a nasty fracture of the ankle that took me out of action for a number of months, I find it strange to think that you can continue to skate with a stress fracture. Evidentally a stress fracture isn't as severe as a full break, but surely the treatment should involve rest and no skating?

Nicki

Carleenp
03-29-2004, 10:49 AM
Having suffered a nasty fracture of the ankle that took me out of action for a number of months, I find it strange to think that you can continue to skate with a stress fracture. Evidentally a stress fracture isn't as severe as a full break, but surely the treatment should involve rest and no skating?
Nicki

I am not dancing or skating right now and yes the treatment is full rest.

NickiT
03-29-2004, 11:32 AM
I am not dancing or skating right now and yes the treatment is full rest.

Probably very wise as it'll heal a lot quicker if you rest up!

Nicki

RNsk8r
03-30-2004, 04:21 PM
Just thought some of you might enjoy a short medical explanation of what a stress fracture is-since you brought it up NickiT-plus I can't resist a short teaching session. :) Stress fractures can be likened to small cracks in the bone, not a complete break in the bone. Often stress fractures will not be evident on xray right away, sometimes they never show up on plain xrays. They are usually diagnosed by the symptoms a person is having, usually pain localized around one specific area. If the stress fracture is a few weeks old, sometimes an xray will show an area of healing bone, they can also be diagnosed by a bone scan which will show an area of injured bone. They usually just require rest for treatment, if it is exceptionally bad, or seems to be progressing, some doctors will immobilize the fractured area. Stress fractures can progress to full fractures, but don't usually. From personal experience, I know they can be very frustrating!

Carleenp
03-30-2004, 09:44 PM
The PT agreed that it is a stress fracture and possibly also some tendonitis. He is having me rest it and come in for treatments where they put anti-inflammatory meds on a pad and then use electrical stimulation to get the meds in. Interesting, but I'm not sure if it is all that effective. I have to rest it and if it still hurts in another week or two, I might have to wear a boot and use crutches since walking seems to aggravate it. We figured out that I might need arch supports for my boots (something I expected). He also said that I had really tight calves (I knew that) and gave me some stretches. Apparently the calf tightness makes the injured area of my foot work more and over-stresses it. I already did a lot of calf stretches, but apparently I need to do more! Anyway, it is pretty darn annoying. I hope I can get back skating and dancing soon!

Carleenp
04-17-2004, 11:04 PM
Well, I thought I would bump this up since it has been some time and I rested and had PT treatments. The darn foot is still not better! Now, the PT suspects a Morton's Neuroma, yet my Dr. is still thinking a stress fracture! I have a bone scan set for Monday. Anyone here had a neuroma? It sounds like a bad thing where cortisone helps some, but most need surgery and that has 20% negative complications! Ack! I think I would refuse surgery there!?!?!?

NickiT
04-18-2004, 04:34 AM
Eeeek! I'm sorry you haven't healed yet. It must be very frustrating for you. Good luck with the bone scan and forthcoming treatments. I hope they find the right course of treatment so that you are able to return to the ice as soon as possible.

Nicki