View Full Version : double axels!!! help!!!

2axel_hopeful
03-24-2004, 07:39 PM
i've been doing double axels and various triples for 2 years now, and i can't seem to get rid of the cheat on the end. i tend to cheat about 1/4-1/2 rotations, and i was wondering if anyone knew anything i could practice to be able to get more height, get into the rotating position faster, tighter air position, etc. im 12 now, and i haven't had any major growth spurts yet. HELP!!!!!!!!

sk8er1964
03-24-2004, 08:44 PM
I wish I could help. I have the same problem with my doubles :frus:

2axel_hopeful
03-24-2004, 08:49 PM
haha lol, it's ok. i've been through that...:-)

Mrs Redboots
03-25-2004, 02:28 AM
I'm never going to do a double axel, but a friend of mine is very close to landing hers, but half the problem is she simply doesn't believe she can do it! When you get to that stage, which sounds a bit like where you are, the secret is faith: "I CAN do this, and I'm GOING to!" Good luck - and let us know when you land one your coach is satisfied with.

NickiT
03-25-2004, 05:21 AM
I just wish I could get that last bit of rotation on my single axel at the moment.

Nicki

2axel_hopeful
03-25-2004, 07:59 AM
Thanks Mrs Redboots, I'll keep you posted ;-). And good luck on your single NickiT.

candace
03-26-2004, 07:14 AM
Maybe you can work on it off the ice. Some times that seem's to help my students to do them off the ice. Than take what your doing off the ice to on the ice. Just believe in yourslef and keep on working hard.

GoldSeals
03-27-2004, 11:04 AM
I just wish I could get that last bit of rotation on my single axel at the moment.

Nicki

Practice backspins they will get you there faster:)
Regards,GoldSeals

NickiT
03-27-2004, 01:14 PM
Practice backspins they will get you there faster:)
Regards,GoldSeals

Thanks!!! I'm doing just that and am pretty proud of my backspin now. My coach is having me do waltz jump / backspin / loop / backspin - the loop being more of a mini jump but the idea being that as I land I continue spinning! I'm getting the hang of this but can't understand how I can do a backspin mid air!

Nicki

techskater
03-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Backspin and loop position are basically the same thing. The biggest trick to the axel is the step up and over. I can describe it as nothing other than that - because that's what it is. Basically, the free leg kicks all the way through, when you reach the top of the jump, the free leg steps over and the take off leg kicks up to become the new free foot...

2axel_hopeful
03-27-2004, 02:23 PM
part of my problem is that my double axel has been changed about 6 times since i first started doing it. I trained in washington dc for 2 years under don laws, and with him i started doing to double axel. then i moved to canada after starting the double axel 2-3 months earlier. my canadian coach has a different technique on the axel so he started to change it. when my mum saw that she made me do the axel the way i was doing it before becuz she liked it better, so i was stuck doing it in the middle of the two techniques. then my coach saw this and changed it back again. i've recently gone back to washington for 2 weeks, and don laws changed it back to his way. i started getting pretty close to a clean one while i was there, but then i came back to ottawa. my coach COMPLETELY disagrees with that technique. i mean, absolutely HATES it. so now i'm doing it back his way. HOWEVER, i'm going to washington this summer for 3 months. i've got 6 weeks wasted now until summer 'cuz even if i start doing it, its getting changed back this summer. and then if i start doing it my canadian coaches way, my mum will start haggling my to not do it that way. i can't even do a waltz jump without someone telling me how not to do it. everytime i get close to getting a clean one, someone changes my axel. i wish everyone would just bug off. :-( please help!!! if you have ANY suggestions i will be ever greatful.

jazzpants
03-27-2004, 03:39 PM
part of my problem is that my double axel has been changed about 6 times since i first started doing it. I trained in washington dc for 2 years under don laws, and with him i started doing to double axel. then i moved to canada after starting the double axel 2-3 months earlier. my canadian coach has a different technique on the axel so he started to change it. when my mum saw that she made me do the axel the way i was doing it before becuz she liked it better, so i was stuck doing it in the middle of the two techniques. then my coach saw this and changed it back again. i've recently gone back to washington for 2 weeks, and don laws changed it back to his way. i started getting pretty close to a clean one while i was there, but then i came back to ottawa. my coach COMPLETELY disagrees with that technique. i mean, absolutely HATES it. so now i'm doing it back his way. HOWEVER, i'm going to washington this summer for 3 months. i've got 6 weeks wasted now until summer 'cuz even if i start doing it, its getting changed back this summer. and then if i start doing it my canadian coaches way, my mum will start haggling my to not do it that way. i can't even do a waltz jump without someone telling me how not to do it. everytime i get close to getting a clean one, someone changes my axel. i wish everyone would just bug off. :-( please help!!! if you have ANY suggestions i will be ever greatful.Ummm... stick with one coach's method on the double axel? :P

Go with the method you feel most comfortable with. Remember, YOU are the one doing the double axel!

Good luck with it!!!

GoldSeals
03-27-2004, 03:40 PM
Yes...there are different ways to do it.I had some of those problems too.You will have to find out which way is the best for you.I found that after kicking the freeleg out and up, immediately push that foot towards the ice right below you.I found for me that technique got me the jump.Trying to do the step up and over did not work.When I went back to the original coach I had the jump.Everyones body structure is different so a different approach may make the difference between doing it a not doing it.Believe me I have seen some awkward ways of acomplishing this jump.Look at Philippe Condelero.He has and awkward approach to the axel.Both his hands go foward and up....but he does a triple axel.You just really need to get the job done sometimes.
Regards,GoldSeals

2axel_hopeful
03-27-2004, 09:20 PM
thnx guys! :bow:

charlie
03-28-2004, 09:38 PM
part of my problem is that my double axel has been changed about 6 times since i first started doing it. I trained in washington dc for 2 years under don laws, and with him i started doing to double axel. then i moved to canada after starting the double axel 2-3 months earlier. my canadian coach has a different technique on the axel so he started to change it. when my mum saw that she made me do the axel the way i was doing it before becuz she liked it better, so i was stuck doing it in the middle of the two techniques. then my coach saw this and changed it back again. i've recently gone back to washington for 2 weeks, and don laws changed it back to his way. i started getting pretty close to a clean one while i was there, but then i came back to ottawa. my coach COMPLETELY disagrees with that technique. i mean, absolutely HATES it. so now i'm doing it back his way. HOWEVER, i'm going to washington this summer for 3 months. i've got 6 weeks wasted now until summer 'cuz even if i start doing it, its getting changed back this summer. and then if i start doing it my canadian coaches way, my mum will start haggling my to not do it that way. i can't even do a waltz jump without someone telling me how not to do it. everytime i get close to getting a clean one, someone changes my axel. i wish everyone would just bug off. :-( please help!!! if you have ANY suggestions i will be ever greatful.

I think you need to pick one technique (whichever works best) and stick with it. If your coaches are so stubborn about having things done their way that they will not allow you to use a technique that works better for you, then maybe you need a different coach.

As for the cheat on the double axel, you're not finishing the rotation in time, so you need to either jump higher or rotate faster. I assume you're already pulling in as tightly as you can. Have you considered weight training? It would probably give you the extra power you need to get more height on the jump and land it cleanly. If you don't have access to weight machines, you could probably buy some free weights and do weighted squats, lunges, etc. Also, plyometrics might be helpful to you as well (to increase the spring up into the air). Good luck!

2axel_hopeful
03-29-2004, 01:08 PM
thanks for your suggestions! :bow:
umm...what are plyometrics? :oops: :oops: :oops: :?: :?:

johnfisher
03-31-2004, 12:06 PM
[QUOTE=2axel_hopeful]
umm...what are plyometrics? QUOTE]

They're basically just jumping exercises that help you get more explosive power into your jumps, but they are pretty high impact. As far as I know plyometrics are not really recommended for young athletes such as yourself as they can do more harm than good.

John

Mrs Redboots
03-31-2004, 12:13 PM
Fancy meeting you here, John - welcome!

johnfisher
03-31-2004, 01:05 PM
Fancy meeting you here, John - welcome!

I've been lurking a while, but I have only just got myself registered.

jazzpants
03-31-2004, 03:03 PM
I've been lurking a while, but I have only just got myself registered.
Well well, well!!! Look what the cat dragged in!?!?! 8-)

Welcome, John! :mrgreen::bow:

Plyometrics???? EEEK!!! Not for me, thank you!!! My lower back is hurting just reading about it! 8O (Also not for people with weak joints either...) But if you wanna know...

http://www.njvb.com/howto/plyometrics_faq.html

IceAngel2007
04-01-2004, 06:27 AM
i wish i could do a double axel1 I CAN ONLY LAND A SINGLE AXEL OFF ICE.... im sorry about the caps.. im trying to type on my laptop, and its hard, especially w/ long nails

johnfisher
04-02-2004, 07:59 AM
Well well, well!!! Look what the cat dragged in!?!?! 8-)

Welcome, John! :mrgreen::bow:

Thanks Jazzpants! 8-)

FWIW my double axel is still going nowhere :frus:

John

johnfisher
04-02-2004, 08:01 AM
ps this is fun. I could express myself so much better on RSSIR if there were smilies

John

Justine_R
04-02-2004, 08:32 PM
Well my coach says practice single axels and get the height on those first...it will really help ..belive me.

Mrs Redboots
04-03-2004, 04:44 AM
I don't know why you're having trouble with your doubles, John - you've more speed and height into any of your jumps than any other adult skater I know (except perhaps one, and he's gone to Australia ;) ). Is it that, like the children at my rink who are working on them, you don't quite believe you can land them? I'm quite sure you could, really......

johnfisher
04-04-2004, 09:47 AM
I don't know why you're having trouble with your doubles, John - you've more speed and height into any of your jumps than any other adult skater I know (except perhaps one, and he's gone to Australia ;) ).

Hmm is that so? I feel a challenge might be on when he gets back :twisted:

My major problem with the double axel is that it hurts when I fall on it so I don't work on it as much as I maybe need to. :frus: I can do it on the floor with no problems, it's just getting everything in place on the ice that is troublesome.

On the other hand my 3loop is coming along quite nicely. I don't hurt myself working on this or the 3 sal. I just need to get my free leg position a bit tighter and it might be there. I landed a hooked one a few weeks back 8O and I have been getting a lot fully rotated, but just with no time to check out. Anyway I was glad to see that they looked triple-ish on the video instead of looking like over-rotated doubles. Maybe I will try to get an Mpeg put up on my site.

John