View Full Version : Flexible/Stiff as a Board Lessons/Practices 3/22-3/28

dbny
03-23-2004, 09:06 PM
Flexible
I found a pair of Jackson Mystique's at 20% off for one of my adult beginner students, they fit her, and she bought them. Then, she was afraid to actually get on the ice, having fallen backwards last time and gotten quite a goose egg. I was able to coax her onto the ice and by the end of the lesson, her confidence was restored. She is doing no more than very tiny marching steps at the wall, mostly holding on, but does let one hand just hover over the wall when encouraged, and has gotten safely across the doorways. For an adult who is very out of shape and has never skated before in her life, I am not expecting a lot in a hurry. Her immediate goal is to be able to get all the way around the rink, and she has the determination to do it. If she can get entirely off the wall and feel confident in a year, that will be a real accomplishment. Even though we are not doing anything technical, I enjoy helping her learn to skate.

My little scaredy cat tot who leaves in copious tears any time she falls, was back tonight but would not let go of me. I pulled her around a bit, which I rarely do because I don't think it is a good teaching tool, but she had fun, which is important. Maybe if she gets a taste of how much fun it is to really glide, she will be willing to risk a little more.

Stiff as a Board
:cry: :cry: :cry: My best (skater) student is moving and next week will be her last with me! We had so much fun tonight. I had her holding FO and BO edges on the circle, and whenever she went off (most of the time), I would call out "Good bye", or "Where are you going" in a clearly humorous way, and we would both laugh. I began her on FI Mohawks. She is only 6, but has such concentration and earnestness. She really wants that Mohawk and doesn't mind working for it. I'm going to miss her.

twokidsskatemom
03-24-2004, 01:29 AM
Flex... well dd got her 3 turns down great this week !!!She now likes seeing the three on the ice.She also is working on a new routine for her next comp, but has to make some changes since isi and usfsa are different.Flex.... for me, I ordered a pair of jackson Freestyle. I have skates 4 times now, but the rentals hurt my ankle bone.
Stiff.... last week i was doing t pushes. My one leg I can do fine, but the other leg feels like a peice of wood. Its like it will not lift. I fell last monday, didnt scare me as far as falling but ouch !!!!!!I couldnt lift my leg to put shoes on, take pants off ect. After a few days with motrin, it seems fine . Im skating tommorow while dd has her lesson, but with rentals till I get my skates.Any tips on how to do both legs would be great !!!If my 3 and 4yo can skate and do jumps and spins, at least i can do some stroking lol

Ellyn
03-24-2004, 11:43 AM
Flexible
My little scaredy cat tot who leaves in copious tears any time she falls, was back tonight but would not let go of me. I pulled her around a bit, which I rarely do because I don't think it is a good teaching tool, but she had fun, which is important. Maybe if she gets a taste of how much fun it is to really glide, she will be willing to risk a little more.

I think it could -- good luck with her.

At 3, my niece enjoyed me pulling her around the rink as fast as I could go (or as fast as I could go safely in traffic) more than trying to march or wiggle forward on her own, although she was proud when she did so, and I think it did help her courage and her ability to keep her feet under her.

At 4, now that she's taking some formal classes, what she likes best is to swizzle as fast as she can on her own. She knows what speed feels like and wants to practice getting there under her own power. I wonder if she'll prefer speedskating to figure skating. (When asked, her response was that she doesn't want to play hockey.)

Also she had the idea on her own that she should try pulling me, although she has to skate forward and only hold one hand to do so. (And I'm more than 5 times her weight but she can indeed get me moving.)

Now the next step is to get her skating on one foot at a time....

garyc254
03-24-2004, 03:56 PM
Flexible
She is doing no more than very tiny marching steps at the wall, mostly holding on, but does let one hand just hover over the wall when encouraged, and has gotten safely across the doorways....... If she can get entirely off the wall and feel confident in a year, that will be a real accomplishment.

It's wonderful when they're determined. When I was a beginner, my coach would allow me to put my hand on top of hers (not hold it, just lay it on top) to get me away from the wall. It gave a little balance and security. I use that tip with the learn-to-skate kids when they want to hang on to me. I teach them to just put their hand on top of mine.

FLEXIBLE: Most of the Sam 1 & 2 kids are making good progress. One of my Sam 1's even tried backward swizzles of his own accord.

My beginner adult class is really going gung ho. We have started working with them on proper stroking techniques. Now they understand why we teach them swizzles and one foot glides.

STIFF: A couple of the Sam 2 kids just don't get up enough speed to learn many of the things they need to. Two foot glides and stops don't mean a lot when you only glide 6 inches. One girl only takes tiny half steps and one of the boys just lumbers along with a one foot push. I've got to think of some way to coerce them into trying to go faster. A frozen snail moves quicker. :lol:

dbny
03-24-2004, 04:46 PM
I fell last monday, didnt scare me as far as falling but ouch !!!!!!I couldnt lift my leg to put shoes on, take pants off ect. After a few days with motrin, it seems fine

.....Any tips on how to do both legs would be great !!!

I highly recommend the soft knee pads sold in sporting goods stores for volleyball. I keep ibuprofen with me all the time. If I fall, I leave the ice right away to take 600 mg. The sooner you take it, the better.

It's possible that you don't feel so solid on the foot you are standing on when you try to do the other T push, and that's why you can't lift your foot.
Learn the T push with one leg first. Get confident with it. Then, visualize it while you try with the other leg.

Also she had the idea on her own that she should try pulling me, although she has to skate forward and only hold one hand to do so. (And I'm more than 5 times her weight but she can indeed get me moving.)

My coach's 3 1/2 year old does that! It's so cute. I got her to pull me around a bit last time too.

When I was a beginner, my coach would allow me to put my hand on top of hers (not hold it, just lay it on top) to get me away from the wall. It gave a little balance and security.

....A couple of the Sam 2 kids just don't get up enough speed to learn many of the things they need to. Two foot glides and stops don't mean a lot when you only glide 6 inches. One girl only takes tiny half steps and one of the boys just lumbers along with a one foot push. I've got to think of some way to coerce them into trying to go faster. A frozen snail moves quicker.

I do that with the scared adults to, and agree that it does help. It's really a mental thing, and I should know, still needing a spot for certain 3 turns :frus:

I race the kids when that is the problem. I tell them that I can't pass them if they keep their hands in front and pick up both knees (feet, whichever works best for them). Then I stomp along just behind them, calling out to each one when needed: "Sam, hands in front, I'm gonna pass you!", "Erica, both knees, I'm right behind you!" etc. Anyone who beats me is a winner, and you can bet, I do everything in my power to make them all winners. This is also great for those days when the rink is really freezing.

twokidsskatemom
03-24-2004, 09:39 PM
Learn the T push with one leg first. Get confident with it. Then, visualize it while you try with the other leg.

im going to try that. my t pushes with my left leg are great , and I tried today to at least lift my right. I did better but tommorow will try to visualize it first.

Isk8NYC
03-25-2004, 08:15 AM
Flexible: Schedule change at our rink -- I've got a half-hour free time that I've been using to teach my own children! They're doing well.

Stiff: Turned on the charm too much with a trial student and now she's my buddy pal. Mom insisted on her being in my group lesson, but she's a Basic 1 and the group is Basic 3/4. Just hope no one complains about time and attention.

CanAmSk8ter
03-27-2004, 03:12 PM
Flexible: I have a new little guy in my Snowplow class on Thursdays. It was his first week, so our director brought me over to meet him. I took one look at how young he was and thought "There's no way he's gonna do this". When we were getting the kids on the ice, I went over to get him, and he stepped on the ice and marched right past me! The first time he fell, I started toward him to show him how to get up, and by the time I got to him, he *was* up. At one point, I bent down to ask him how old he was- turns out he's "fwee". I was ready to bring him home with me! I told his mom I've taught six-year-olds who needed more help their third week than he did his first. Just when I think I know what to expect from kids...

I don't post in here very often, but I had to share that!

twokidsskatemom
03-27-2004, 03:22 PM
Flexible: I have a new little guy in my Snowplow class on Thursdays. It was his first week, so our director brought me over to meet him. I took one look at how young he was and thought "There's no way he's gonna do this". When we were getting the kids on the ice, I went over to get him, and he stepped on the ice and marched right past me! The first time he fell, I started toward him to show him how to get up, and by the time I got to him, he *was* up. At one point, I bent down to ask him how old he was- turns out he's "fwee". I was ready to bring him home with me! I told his mom I've taught six-year-olds who needed more help their third week than he did his first. Just when I think I know what to expect from kids...

I don't post in here very often, but I had to share that!

sounds like you had a great lesson !!!!
That is why I really believe it not an age thing as much as people think.every child is different.There are some 3 yo who are ready and some 6 yo who arent.
I had two 3yo who have no fear and love the ice.

Isk8NYC
03-30-2004, 08:26 AM
Stiff as a Board

We're practicing for our skating show and my Monday group is going crazy! And they're taking me with them! :grin: They're adorable little 6 to 8 year old girls and they are a handful!

I can't stop skating for a minute during our lesson. The second I stop moving to line them up or make a note, all eight of them want my attention instantly. Why? Because: "the helmet itches" (my fav!), "I have to go to the bathroom", "Can I go tell my Dad something?," "I'm going to Sonya's house tonight 'cause we live near each other.", "Mona hit me," "Did Not!".. ARRGH!

I actually put on the music and let them skate to it last night. They did an outstanding pinwheel! But the kibbutzing and neck-grabbing was insane! I made a copy of my notes for their program in the office. The Director asked "There's notes for that program?" since my group was so "out there."

I laugh out loud constantly. It's either that or cry.

Flexible:
I used part of my downtime to give a private lesson during group lesson time. The skater did really well and the Mom was very happy. Hopefully, this will be a regular lesson since the time works out well for everyone.

garyc254
03-30-2004, 11:21 AM
Recruited a new adult skater last night. I'm getting good at this. :lol:

She came to the rink to meet a coworker that regularly skates this session with me. The coworker was going to give her her old skates to try out. When the coworker arrived, we "convinced" her to try out the skates.

She used every ploy she could think of to get out of skating:

"I'm not very good." Neither was I a couple of years ago.

"I don't want to be embarrassed." You won't be. Look at some of the beginners out there.

"Maybe I should take them home and wear them first." They're used skates. They're already broken in.

"I don't have gloves." I have a spare pair in my bag.

"I didn't bring any money." I'll loan you $ 4.00.

She didn't stand a chance. I stayed with her on the ice and passed along tips to help her feel comfortable. By the time the session was over she was stroking pretty well and promised to come back next week.

VICTORY!!! :D :D

Isk8NYC
03-31-2004, 02:21 PM
Flexible:
My Tot classes were very good. Everyone listened and tried. Best of all, they remembered what they knew when the Director came over to skate with them!!!

Stiff as a Board:
This describes one of the students - so stiff in the knees, she looks like she's ski-jumping! Another one refused to work with the two instructors, but cooperated with the Director. I don't dare take her hand or help her up unless I want to get dagger-eyes and tears. Sadly, I'm at the point where I feel like I don't care if the kid learns or not. I feel that she shouldn't even be in the class.

garyc254
03-31-2004, 02:46 PM
I don't dare take her hand or help her up unless I want to get dagger-eyes and tears. Sadly, I'm at the point where I feel like I don't care if the kid learns or not. I feel that she shouldn't even be in the class.

I had a similar girl in one of my classes. For five classes she refused to listen to any instructions, could barely move on the ice, and would whine constantly. She came for the sixth class, stepped on the ice, stroked beautifully (for her level) across, skated up to me, and smiled. She had come with her brother to a public session and practiced on her own.

She was the star of the class from then on.

Isk8NYC
03-31-2004, 02:57 PM
The Mom has the girl in the Tot class so that Mommy can take her own lesson. They've had seven months of weekly 1/2 hour lessons, plus she does go to public skating with her sister and parents, all of whom can skate. Basically, they pull her around the ice while she stands stiff as a soldier.

I hope you're right about her turning around, I hate feeling so fed up with her. Maybe the Director will pull her out of her shell. Maybe she'll behave just to make the instructor look bad. Sorry, it's a very uncomfortable situation for me.

twokidsskatemom
03-31-2004, 03:47 PM
The Mom has the girl in the Tot class so that Mommy can take her own lesson. They've had seven months of weekly 1/2 hour lessons, plus she does go to public skating with her sister and parents, all of whom can skate. Basically, they pull her around the ice while she stands stiff as a soldier.

I hope you're right about her turning around, I hate feeling so fed up with her. Maybe the Director will pull her out of her shell. Maybe she'll behave just to make the instructor look bad. Sorry, it's a very uncomfortable situation for me.
that is sad :frus: if she doesnt want to be there, she shouldnt be

garyc254
03-31-2004, 03:50 PM
Sorry, it's a very uncomfortable situation for me.

I can see that it is and through no fault of your own.

You're right. It sounds like this girl really doesn't want to try.

Sometimes you can't help but feel like :frus:

Hang in there.

Isk8NYC
04-02-2004, 11:30 AM
On the other hand, Thursday lessons make up for reluctant tots.

My Tot class last night was excellent, although all of the kids were late. They all smiled and laughed -- we made a lot of progress. They're doing super-slow-motion swizzles, which are so funny to watch.

My advanced class started working on beginner-beginner toe jumps. I've been riding them about edges and glides so they can pass their test. Last night, I gave them 10 minutes of toe taps and ballet jumps. They loved it!

So did I!