View Full Version : Interpretive Programs--Vocals in a Foreign Language

MissIndigo
07-20-2002, 05:05 PM
I am considering an interpretive program for next season using music with vocals in Japanese. The piece is the theme for a favorite anime of mine, and I would dress as the main character of the story. I am wondering how well such music is received among the judges--I understand the song, and I will attempt to skate it out, but I'm afraid no one else in the building is going to have a clue about who or what I am trying to portray. The music is very wistful (but not wimpy), titled "Towa no Hana" (Eternal Flower), and is about finding and nurturing eternal love. The inflections in the vocalist's voice and changes in tempo of the music convey the overall feeling of romance of this piece, and I would think that effective choreography would be more than enough to get the point across that the song is for a hopeful young woman in love.

If any of you have done such a program, I'd love to hear about it, and how well it was received!

anital
07-20-2002, 09:18 PM
Miss Indigo,
I skated some exhibitions in China (it wasn't competitive, just to pay for ice time at the local rink!!) to a Chinese piece and got great feedback from both Chinese and non-Chinese speakers, I don't think you need to understand the words to understand a piece of music, since everyone interprets music differently anyway, tell the story the way you see it. I also skated to a latino piece (which was much livelier) and that received good feedback too, even though no-one watching understood the Spanish (even I had to look some words up, I only speak Italian, not Spanish!). I think it's what you make of the piece and how you interpret what you hear. Your music sounds beautiful and as you said, good choreography should tell your story well. :) Good luck!
Anital

rinsk
07-21-2002, 06:11 PM
I've skated to Italian music which got very good reviews. Only thing is that you need to skate more to the mood of the music than the actual lyrics and consider the voice as part of the instrumentation. Good luck.

flo
07-22-2002, 09:50 AM
The most important factor in interpretive skating is that you connect with the music. If you can express this, then the judges and audience will follow. I do like programs in various languages, as it focuses the attention on the skating,and not trying to understand the words. Just remember that you are the translator for everyone, and you'll do well.

Mrs Redboots
07-22-2002, 10:27 AM
[quote:1c3c5163b5="flo"]The most important factor in interpretive skating is that you connect with the music. If you can express this, then the judges and audience will follow. I do like programs in various languages, as it focuses the attention on the skating,and not trying to understand the words. Just remember that you are the translator for everyone, and you'll do well.[/quote:1c3c5163b5]
On the other hand, I have seen competitors in the Mountain Cup doing a programme that the non-English-speaking judge simply couldn't relate to at all, and she gave artistic impression marks 2 or 3 below the English-speaking judges who had seen the point of what the skater was trying to do. If you are going to use music whose point is not immediately obvious, make sure you are really [i:1c3c5163b5]skating[/i:1c3c5163b5] to it, as well as interpreting it, so that even if the judges miss the point, you get decent technical marks!