View Full Version : Report from Adult Mids

sk8er1964
03-19-2004, 09:32 PM
Hi all -- can't travel without my trusty laptop, can I? :D :D

Just wanted to drop a quick line from Adult Mids. Brooklyn FSC has been very welcoming. Check in was a breeze, and practice ice was very well done. The ice is nice. Their competitor bags are filled with all sorts of wonderful goodies :D . Everyone I've talked to that are working there have been terrific. Had the best Italian food for dinner - yummmm...

icedancer2
03-19-2004, 10:09 PM
Good luck!! And have a great time.

We will be looking forward to your posts!~!

jazzpants
03-20-2004, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by icedancer2
We will be looking forward to your posts!~! As will I... and please send some of that Italian food my way too!!! :yum:

Good luck to you at the competition!!! Go kick some ice butts!!! :D

Michigansk8er
03-20-2004, 07:36 AM
I've seen her program, and let me tell you.........she has an axel and footwork to die for!

Sk8Gr8 Sk8er1964!!!!!!! :D

Raine
03-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Good luck! We know you can do it! :)

skatingatty
03-20-2004, 05:12 PM
Good luck to you, and I look forward to hearing your reports!

sk8er1964
03-20-2004, 10:18 PM
Wow -

What wonderful skating I saw today. I went early to see the bronze events. I was very impressed with the level of skating at those events. There were quite a few terrific performances. I was going to write down the winners, but I just didn't get to it. I'll write them down tomorrow before I leave to go home, and can let you know any results you are interested in. I didn't see the Silver or the dances, because I went back to the hotel to jacuzzi and nap :D . (Hey, I've got my priorities :lol: ).

The masters ladies were wonderful, as usual. My fellow club member finished second, with a very nice skate. The masters men winner had multiple triples - we were all like "where did this guy come from???" He got a standing ovation - it was wonderful to see. Also, there was a show of incredible class from Larry Holliday (who skated two after him) - he shook his hand when he got off the ice. Jay was wonderful, full of good humor, skating right after this guy - and managed to skate a great program too! What a classy group of guys!!!! :D

As for my event, I only saw the second warm-up group, because I skated 4 out of 5 in the first group. Everyone I saw skated very well. I don't think there were a lot of falls in our group, at least not from what I saw. I have the whole event on tape, and can't wait to see it when I get home. As for myself, well I went in with no real expectations, because I lost my double sal a couple of weeks ago (I've lost 13 pounds in the last three weeks, and I think that has a lot to do with it). Anyway, my coach and I decided to take it out and shoot for a clean two axel skate, which happened. It was definitely the best skate I've had since I've been back on the ice. The icing on the cake is that....I qualified! :D :D (4th place.)

So, I'm in seventh heaven, and I'm looking forward to seeing the open golds, masters and silver men tomorrow. Adult skating is truly a wonderful thing to be a part of, and I feel blessed (and a bit not worthy) to have been a part of this competition this weekend. :D

vesperholly
03-20-2004, 10:50 PM
Here is the results link:

http://www.usfsa.org/event_details.asp?id=19088

Goodness, Eric Schroyer is a former National competitor in Junior Men! He had all his triples except I don't think he ever got the axel down. Now, I think that's rather unfair...

skateforever
03-20-2004, 11:16 PM
Here is the results link:

http://www.usfsa.org/event_details.asp?id=19088

Goodness, Eric Schroyer is a former National competitor in Junior Men! He had all his triples except I don't think he ever got the axel down. Now, I think that's rather unfair...

I think it is funny that you say that since Larry Holliday competed in Senior US Nationals... (am I mistaken??)

icedancer2
03-20-2004, 11:19 PM
Congratulations sk8er1964!!Congratulations!!!

Michigansk8er
03-21-2004, 12:02 AM
Congrats Sk8er1964!!!!!!! You are AWESOME!!!!!!!!

vesperholly
03-21-2004, 12:30 AM
I think it is funny that you say that since Larry Holliday competed in Senior US Nationals... (am I mistaken??)

Well, firstly, I didn't know that. I looked it up and he was near the bottom of Senior Mens in 92 and 93. And secondly, I don't begrudge Eric, Larry, or any former elite skater their successes. I haven't seen Larry skate but I have seen Eric skate and he's quite good. :)

However, I am wondering if it will become a trend to see former National competitors enter ANs, and I would be interested to know what the adult community thinks of it. I am of two minds: On one hand, I think it's good for competition and really raises the bar. On the other, I think that these are skaters who already had success at the elite level, and that ANs is not a consolation prize - it was made for adult skaters. I really don't know what to think!!! :??

Anyways, congratulations to everyone who competed at Mids and especially those who qualified for ANs - great job! :bow:

jazzpants
03-21-2004, 02:13 AM
First thing... Congrats to sk8er1964!!! Good luck at AN!!! :bow:

Re: Eric Schroyer... Good grief! Eric's on the Harlick website!!! :P
http://www.harlick.com/img/eric.jpg

I also looked his name up on Skatebase. His last competition in the regular track was in year 2000... so it wasn't that long ago that he landed his triple lutz!!! So if he's reading this, this is for you... :bow:

Jay's got the best seat in the house watching the Master's Men skate!!! I'll bet he's probably going like this 8O :bow: when he watched Eric skate!!! I'm glad to hear that Jay skated a good program. :mrgreen:

And if you think former Nationals competitors competing at Adult Sectionals are weird... one of the guys at Eastern Adult Sectionals in the Master's Men event competed at WORLDS back in 1982!!! (Okay... so he placed 20th, but I'm still thinking "What the heck is a World's competitor doing at Adult Sectionals???") :o

vesperholly: I don't quite know what to make of this, seriously. But I guess I'll hear PLENTY when Jay get back to the rink on Monday night. :P

w.w.west: did Jay get his "Welcome Home" sign back??? :lol:

manleywoman
03-21-2004, 11:08 AM
Anyone have details of who landed what in the Masters Ladies?

Congrsts to sk8ter1964!!!

Only two men in the Champ Gold Men...I really wish they'd allow the fill-up rule, and let some Easterns guys go. What a waste. Same with Masters Men for that matter.

Who was the Easterns guy that was in Worlds back in 1982?

charlie
03-21-2004, 11:33 AM
Congratulations sk8ter1964! I was there watching yesterday, and you skated a wonderful program, with very nice presentation. I watched you struggle a bit with axels on the warm-up, so it was a pleasure to see you land both of them cleanly in your program. You should be very proud of your skate. :D Good luck at AN's!

Beccapoo2003
03-21-2004, 11:35 AM
I absolutely LOVE the fact that previous Jr and Sr men are competing as Adults!!! Isn't this why the Masters division was created? ( please correct me if I'm wrong) IMO this will help to earn more respect and recognition for the Adult skating community, in addition to having the honor of watching some awesome skating :bow: !!
Meanwhile, I am anxiously awaiting for more results and stories from Mids. I hope everyone is having a great time! Can't wait 'till Nats!!
Becca from Alabama

Raine
03-21-2004, 11:37 AM
Congrats on qualifying sk8ter1964!

Stormy
03-21-2004, 11:42 AM
The guy actually placed 29th, not 20th in 1982. Edward VanCampen, now competing for the American Academy FSC.

http://www.silent-edge.org/skatabase/results3.cgi?M5

Completely OT, but look at who was 22nd in the World, competing for Denmark. I had no idea! :)

jazzpants
03-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Anyone have details of who landed what in the Masters Ladies?

Congrsts to sk8ter1964!!!

Only two men in the Champ Gold Men...I really wish they'd allow the fill-up rule, and let some Easterns guys go. What a waste. Same with Masters Men for that matter.

Who was the Easterns guy that was in Worlds back in 1982?Eastern guy that was at Worlds was Ed Van Campen. (I found him on Skatebase. He competed for the Netherlands. He also competed at three European Championships as well.) "We're not worthy! We're not worthy!!!" :bow:

http://www.eskatefans.com/skatabase/search/form.php?form_type=search&table_name=men

Masters Ladies: I read somewhere in another skating forum that Diedre Reeves attempted a triple toe. I did not read anything that was cleanly landed though.

Masters Men: Eric Schroyer two footed a triple lutz 8O and had clean triple toes. Larry had triple toe (hand down), triple sal attempt and double axel. (Oui vei!!!)

jazzpants
03-21-2004, 12:14 PM
The guy actually placed 29th, not 20th in 1982. Edward VanCampen, now competing for the American Academy FSC.

http://www.silent-edge.org/skatabase/results3.cgi?M5

Completely OT, but look at who was 22nd in the World, competing for Denmark. I had no idea! :) Weird. I got my info from Skatebase (the new one that they forward everyone to and is being maintain.) *shrug*

Todd Sands. Interesting. 8-)

What the heck happened to Skatebase between 1974 and 1994 in ice dance??? I did a "Show All" on the ice dance DB tables and NOTHING is showing between 1974 and 1994!!! Sheesh!!! :(

daisies
03-21-2004, 01:28 PM
I absolutely LOVE the fact that previous Jr and Sr men are competing as Adults!!! Isn't this why the Masters division was created? ( please correct me if I'm wrong) IMO this will help to earn more respect and recognition for the Adult skating community ...

I agree with Becca 100%, though I think that as more "elite" skaters enter Adult competitions, the more need there will be to split the Masters division into something like Championship Intermediate/Novice and Championship Junior/Senior. That way skaters who grandfather into the standard track at the Intermediate level after passing their Adult Gold tests won't have to compete against former elite skaters. I don't think there are enough skaters in Masters yet to warrant such a move, but I can see it happening in the near future. Because if it doesn't, there will be a backlog in Adult Gold of all the skaters who won't want to move up to Masters due to the inequity.

charlie
03-21-2004, 02:09 PM
Masters Men: Eric Schroyer two footed a triple lutz 8O and had clean triple toes. Larry had triple toe (hand down), triple sal attempt and double axel. (Oui vei!!!)

Larry's triple salchow and triple toe were gorgeous in warm-up. :bow: His jumps were so solid, and he had great technique. It was a shame that he struggled with them in the program after they were so wonderful in warm-up. The double axel was still spectacular though. :D

Eric gave a great performance. It had excitement, and of course, great triple jumps. Championship men at AN's just got a lot more interesting with him thrown into the mix! I'm glad to see him competing. I think this will raise the bar for all of the men at AN's.

sk8er1964
03-21-2004, 04:13 PM
Congratulations sk8ter1964! I was there watching yesterday, and you skated a wonderful program, with very nice presentation. I watched you struggle a bit with axels on the warm-up, so it was a pleasure to see you land both of them cleanly in your program. You should be very proud of your skate. :D Good luck at AN's!

Thanks for the kind words, Charlie. I had the scariest thought this morning -- OMG now I have to play with the big girls! Those ladies are good! Keep your fingers crossed that that darn 2sal that abandoned me a few weeks ago decides to come back in a real hurry. (I'd like that sometimes-landed 2toe to make an appearance too, if possible...)

In the warm up, when I fell on that first axel in front of the judges, I looked up at them and said "don't you just hate it when that happens". It just came out. :oops: Then, when I went back later in the warm up and landed the axel combo, I looked over at them and out popped "now that's how you're supposed to do it". 8O :roll: I figured they'd write me off as a nut case right then and there :lol: .

Dedrie Reeves did attempt a triple toe - unfortunately I didn't get a good look at it because of the way the rink and stands were set up. I heard someone call it an attempt, so I assume it wasn't clean. I am just so in awe of the masters ladies. There's some really good skaters in that event. Plus, the masters men were sooooo good. When I saw Eric's triple lutz, it took me a few seconds to realize what I had just seen. I was expecting a double, then I realized it was a triple. :bow: Wow. (I thought it was clean, but someone else said a two foot. I'm not really good at picking that up when they are close.)

I think I just figured out who w.w.west is (hey, I can be a bit slow). If it is who I think it is, then she was absolutely awesome qualifying in Champ Gold! Yeah!

I do have all of the results, except for Champ dance and the interps that were held after 11:00 today. If anyone wants to know about someone in particular, pm me. Cinderella, who has posted here, had a terrific first performance as an adult this morning. Landed two axels and had a wonderful flying camel combo -- woo hoo!

One last thing -- Jazzpants -- your coach is just too cool! :D

w.w.west
03-21-2004, 06:54 PM
w.w.west: did Jay get his "Welcome Home" sign back??? :lol:

Signed, sealed and delivered personally this morning! It is quite the piece of artwork too....have him show it to you. hee-hee. I think we will say that Jay is from "Western Wyandotte"! Someone said that this weekend and it sounded so funny...but I think it will stick!

w.w.west
03-21-2004, 07:07 PM
I think I just figured out who w.w.west is (hey, I can be a bit slow). If it is who I think it is, then she was absolutely awesome qualifying in Champ Gold! Yeah!
:D

I am who you think I am my pretty! (if that does not seal it then nothing will! hee-hee) Thank you for the compliment. I am still on cloud 9 and can't believe it is reality. I've never qualified, and I am thrilled. Especially among a really, really tough group! I haven't watched the tape yet. I know you were awesome judging by the audience reaction and, of course, we talked so I got it first hand from you too! I can't wait to watch the tape tonight.

Got a #*@!*&* ticket on the way home! Was not paying attention on the way home and talking too much with my coach and friend and bam! First ticket I have had in over 10 years!!!! Still had a great time this weekend. Brooklyn FSC was great! Everything ran extremely well. I enjoyed catching up with friends and seeing some great skating! Great job to everyone this weekend.

Good luck and see everyone at Lake Placid!

Michigansk8er
03-21-2004, 07:37 PM
Congrats to you too W.W.West!!!!! That is a terrific accomplishment. I hope both you and sk8er1964 are on the podium at AN too!!!!!!!

Michigansk8er

PS: Yes sk8er1964...........a tad slow. You are too funny!!!! Of course, I've had a lot of time at home to figure these things out. :lol:

jazzpants
03-21-2004, 11:37 PM
Signed, sealed and delivered personally this morning! It is quite the piece of artwork too....have him show it to you. hee-hee. I think we will say that Jay is from "Western Wyandotte"! Someone said that this weekend and it sounded so funny...but I think it will stick! WAAAAY Western Wyandotte! :P :lol: Oh, I definitely will ask him to show it to me on Monday!!! LOL!!! (I should see him on Monday night, assuming my job doesn't make me stay late...like LAST WEEK!!!) :x

And CONGRATS to you too!!! :bow: WOO HOO!!! I'll bet it hasn't sunk in that you qualified yet, huh? :mrgreen: (I've confirmed my guess of who you are too. And I'm also a tad slow, but only b/c I'm careful.) ;)

Congrats to Cinderella for her Bronze too in Gold II/III. YAAAAY!!!

sk8er1964... (since I also read CAS...) *PINCH* *PINCH* *PINCH* Yeap! You've qualified!!! Not a dream!!! :P

SkateGuard
03-21-2004, 11:55 PM
Just some thoughts on what had been posted...

1. Eric Schroyer. He competed in 2001 "kiddie" mids in Senior men, placing 5th. (I don't know why I say kiddie...I'm younger than the winner, Todd Eldredge.) As for his competing in Adults, I think I would feel differently if he hadn't been so nice and personable to me Saturday morning. He had the "I just turned 25, so I thought I'd try this out" attitude. I told him he was competing with two very popular skaters, and he said he couldn't wait to meet them. He never even mentioned that he was such a high level skater; I had to get the ol' laptop up after Master's men to look him up on the 'net. If he was a jerk, with the attitude that he was a national competition when he was younger and deserved to win, I think I would have rather he stayed home, but I can't wait to cheer him on in LP!

2. Diedre Reeves triple. Yes, she fell on the triple toe (about 2.75 rotated). It's also at the end of the program. If a mother of three can be close enough on a triple toe to throw it into a program, it gives me hope that I may land one someday!

Congrats to sk8er1964 and w.w.west. Both of you skated well, and it was an incredibly well-skated event! I felt sorry for the judges! And Cinderella did AMAZING in her first-ever USFSA comp! I was there one of the first days she came back to skating, and I told her about us crazy people. I'm so glad she joined us!

Erin
who had music and combo (as in, a .4 deduction for too many) problems YET AGAIN! I swear, I need a dance partner so I can quit this crazy compete-freestyle idea.

stillskating
03-22-2004, 10:44 PM
Everyone has mentioned Eric Shroyer's jumps, which were wonderful. But we should also pay homage to his gorgeous spins and overall flow and style. I was in awe watching him. Larry's a great skater, too, and watching those two trade triples in the warm-ups was a ton of fun! Both are very personable and obviously skate for the love of it. I happened to sit behind Eric's parents and grandparents during his skate, and they're very nice people as well.

I'm one of those people who started skating as a teenager and got just far enough to be considered a "master" on paper (NOT, unfortunately, on the ice!!!). On one hand, yes, people like Eric and Diedre (heck, ALL the championship master's skaters) mean my chances of qualifying are none and less-than-none. But it's so fun to watch them!!! I also think the most important thing they're doing is showing that skating is--and should be--a lifetime sport, and that we shouldn't have to give up something we love (or not start something we want to do) because we're "too old." Skating is for everybody.

Yes, I'd love to see an intermediate/novice or a gold/intermediate category. I hope that will happen soon. But in the meantime, I'm thrilled to see the skaters at all levels who obviously love what they're doing. Everyone I watched at Mids put their heart into their programs and challenged themselves. I didn't see any "sandbaggers." After our pairs exhibition someone came up to me and said, "Thank you for sharing your skating with us." That's one of the best things anyone has ever said to me about my skating, and I think it applies to everyone at Mids. Congrats to all!!!

Elsy2
03-23-2004, 07:14 AM
Congrats to all of you! I have enjoyed reading all about the competition, it reminds me of the excitement of watching AN.....

Cinderella if you are reading this, I'm curious, what "lucky" dress did you wear?
;)

flo
03-23-2004, 10:00 AM
Congrats to all! :)

Cinderella
03-23-2004, 07:37 PM
First, thanks to everyone for all the congratulations and good wishes. My first adult competition was a BLAST! My head is still in a whirl as I try to process all the fabulous skating that I saw ... starting with Pre-Bronze and working right up through all the masters. :bow: If this is what adult skating is like, then I want a lot more of it!!!

I'm still a little too new to put all the online names with the faces, but I can vouch that Sk8r1964 skated with an intensity and confidence that was beautiful to behold. It was awe-inspiring to see how hard everyone works at their skating and how committed they are. And whether they had a good skate or not-what-they'd-hoped-for, everyone I met there was super supportive, encouraging, and friendly, whether they knew you or not. My respect for adult skaters continues to grow.

Cinderella if you are reading this, I'm curious, what "lucky" dress did you wear? ;)

Elsy2, funny you should ask! As you may know, a wonderful online friend made available to me several lucky dresses. I traveled with a purple long-sleeve dress with gold swirly glitter. However, my coach, who had been deathly ill for a week and should have been in bed taking care of herself, insisted on finishing a special dress on site for my competitive debut. And it was just awesome! People were stopping me in the aisle and complimenting it. She is a wizard with needle and thread, and I can't believe she finished it when she had so many other things on her plate. However, we have both chuckled at the fact that I had a slight "wardrobe malfunction." Imagine our surprise when we learned 10 minutes before I was to skate that the bottom had been sewn in backwards! Let's just say we had to do a fair amount of strategic tucking in the front, and I rearranged my program slightly so as not to mortally offend the judges with my newly flossed ... um ... er ... uh ... back!!!

techskater
03-23-2004, 08:47 PM
Yep, we all chuckled that our mutual coach did that. She was quite distressed with herself for doing it, too! It didn't look THAT bad though!

Elsy2
03-23-2004, 09:44 PM
Oh my gosh Cinderella, that is hysterical!

My daughter once wore a dress backwards when she was quite young...we couldn't figure out what looked so odd..... :roll:

Congrats again!

Cinderella
03-23-2004, 11:28 PM
Yep, we all chuckled that our mutual coach did that. She was quite distressed with herself for doing it, too! It didn't look THAT bad though!

I told her today during my lesson that I probably skated better because of it. It gave me something to think about to keep my mind off my nerves, and it certainly made me aware of my posture! She's threatening to sew all my costumes that way! And for those of you who didn't see it, let's just say I TRULY felt like Cinderella when she whipped it out of the bag. It is the most flattering thing I've ever worn, and the pictures do not do it justice. She is amazing. I can't believe her talent.

techskater
03-27-2004, 02:07 PM
Cinderella, it LOOKED terrific! If you felt good wearing it, that's all that counts! Maybe our coach has fixed it while in Europe.