View Full Version : Jackson Coaches Boot???

dbny
03-17-2004, 03:05 PM
I've been thinking about getting a pair of coaches boots because I work outside in winter and my feet do get cold in spite of my neoprene boot covers. My local pro shop happens to have a pair of Jacksons that were ordered for someone else, but arrived in the wrong size. They fit me, but definitely narrow.

First question: Does anyone skate in these and know how warm they really are?

Second Question: Can the heat molding take care of the narrowness, or should I not take a chance on that.

Finally, they have Ultima Freestyle blades on them, never used and never sharpened. I would not use the blades and would want to sell them (I have some Coronation Comets already, that I'm waiting to try, and I'll never skate up to the Ultimas). The whole package is $300, so I think the price is right, assuming I sell the blades. I'm tempted, but don't want to make a mistake just because it's a bargain.

TashaKat
03-17-2004, 03:20 PM
Hi, maybe I'm being dumb here but how do 'coaches' boots differ?

Ta

x

Elsy2
03-17-2004, 04:01 PM
Are you meaning skates that you stand around in to coach more than actually skate in? If so, I think comfort is a high priority, and narrow boots can wreck your feet. I now have lovely tailor's bunions from narrow Jacksons (but they were not heat moldable). Even so, I developed these after a year of use, so heat molding would not have made a difference.

Perhaps putting them on a boot stretcher for a few days could widen them enough....but I think you are taking a chance.

dbny
03-17-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by TashaKat
Hi, maybe I'm being dumb here but how do 'coaches' boots differ?

Ta

x

Not dumb at all. Several companies are now making boots especially for coaches which are supposed to be more comfortable and warmer than their other boots. Both Jackson and Riedell make them lined with thinsulate for warmth. I've only begun to think about this, so I haven't researched it much yet. I really can't afford these right now, which is why I'm considering the ones that are available at such a good price.

Elsy2
I think you are probably right, and I shouldn't take a chance.

skaternum
03-17-2004, 08:23 PM
What model boot is it based on?

dbny
03-17-2004, 09:02 PM
The Jackson Site (http://www.jacksonskates.com/html/frames/frameset-prod.html) doesn't say. After clicking the link, you have to select "Jackson Figure Skates", then the boot in the list on the left.

skatepixie
03-17-2004, 10:28 PM
Your feet get COLD? With all that leather? I walk around in my rink with sandles...well...with tights...but still...

dbny
03-18-2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by skatepixie
Your feet get COLD? With all that leather? I walk around in my rink with sandles...well...with tights...but still...

Maybe you missed the part where I said I work outside all winter? Most of it is just standing around too, as that's what you do a lot of when teaching beginning skaters.

garyc254
03-18-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by skatepixie

My feet get cold even when I'm skating.

Leather is not the best insulator in the world by any means. :lol:

skaternum
03-18-2004, 04:36 PM
I have to say, since this thread is about Jacksons, that I had a pair of the 3500s and had lots of problems with them. The heels were uneven and they weren't balanced properly. You can imagine what sorts of problems that gave me, once we'd spent months trying to even figure out what was wrong. The torque of the right boot was a major contributor to the lower back problems I developed (which kept me off ice for almost 6 months and in physical therapy for over 2 years.) I scrapped them completely after trying for over a year to make them work. I don't know anything about the Coach's model, but that was my bad experience with the high end Jacksons.

jp1andOnly
03-18-2004, 04:41 PM
and I'm the opposite. I loved my Jacksons and never had a problem with them. I have Graf's now, and though they are a great boot I could have bought Jackson's and been jsut as happy.

Sometimes a company produces a bad boot. I've heard horror stories about Jacksons and Grafs. It isnt that common but it does happen.

skatepixie
03-18-2004, 10:46 PM
oh...outside...I was gonna say...Im always looking to cool off in the rink...