View Full Version : boise id?

twokidsskatemom
03-17-2004, 02:15 PM
Does anyone know anything about the rinks there? we might be down this summer for a week and they want to skate during the day while dh is doing his training. How about the coaches there?
thanks

garyc254
03-17-2004, 02:27 PM
Check out:

http://www.idahoiceworld.com/

twokidsskatemom
03-17-2004, 03:38 PM
thanks gary looks like a nice rink:)

sheikspeer
03-18-2004, 10:28 AM
They are trying to get some better coaching here but the rink itself is pleasant.

twokidsskatemom
03-18-2004, 01:41 PM

sheikspeer
03-18-2004, 08:59 PM
They are trying to get some BETTER coaching here...was what I said. :lol:

twokidsskatemom
03-18-2004, 09:12 PM
Think everyone would like better coaching:)
I spoke to one the coaches there, she seemed nice. would only be for a week, just a change of pace for us 8-)

sheikspeer
03-18-2004, 09:20 PM
Where would you be coming here from?

twokidsskatemom
03-18-2004, 09:40 PM
well i would be funny and say the plane, but we are in the nw usa:)

sheikspeer
03-18-2004, 10:01 PM
Well I think my point is, almost anywhere you are coming from probably has better qualified coaches than here. And they probably charge less. This has been an issue here for awhile.

twokidsskatemom
03-18-2004, 10:10 PM
All our coaches here are the same, 60 an hour. We only have 4 coaches and two rinks, neither one that looks anything like that one :)But we still had a skaters go to nationals last year and a few that went to jr nationals.
We do have kids who have coaches come here once a month for special lessons, I think they charge the same too.

sheikspeer
03-18-2004, 10:20 PM
We had a girl go to Jr Nationals too but she trains somewhere else. Coaches in Seattle seem a lot more affordable.

twokidsskatemom
03-18-2004, 10:47 PM
Not sure about all of them, but the one that comes here monthy is from seattle and charges the same.The kids who use him have to pay expenses.pretty spendy:) airfair plus hotel

sheikspeer
03-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Well at one of the biggest clubs in the Seattle area, there are gold test coaches, highly rated PSA, lots of experience, Nationals etc., who charge around $50/hour. Nobody here is highly rated in freestyle PSA, nobody is gold test (well one coach is but I heard he is leaving and he charges the least of everyone) nobody has been to nationals, and they charge as much as $70/hour. I don't get it. But at least at your rink they let other coaches come in. Ours won't let anybody else in, at least that is what they say. I think they shouldn't be so afraid of some competition.

tsolomon
03-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Sun Valley is about 3 hours away and has a great summer skating plus other activities. You can check this site for information on coaches and classes that are available.

http://www.sunvalley.com/resort_rec/skating_main.cfm

fadedstardust
03-19-2004, 03:24 PM
50 an hour!!! Wow, that would be so awesome. 50 is closer to the price for 30 minutes, around here (NE) for Gold coaches. Goes to show the weird fluctuation of charges from coast to coast.

-FadedStardust

Justine_R
03-19-2004, 09:26 PM
woah!, that looks like a really nice arena.

twokidsskatemom
03-19-2004, 09:46 PM
they both really look nice :) We dont have stuff like that here...

Justine_R
03-20-2004, 10:09 AM
:) You are lucky :)

twokidsskatemom
03-21-2004, 01:51 AM
:) You are lucky :)
who is ? not us lol

twokidsskatemom
03-22-2004, 02:28 PM
Sun Valley is about 3 hours away and has a great summer skating plus other activities. You can check this site for information on coaches and classes that are available.

http://www.sunvalley.com/resort_rec/skating_main.cfm

Just noticed the ice show from last year had some people who just saw my dd skate, kewl. Wish we couldl at least check out the rink, looks very nice.

Penguin
03-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Sounds like your getting your moneys worth. My child just competed in the future champions competition in Wyoming. We really thought we would win one of the trophys for the most outstanding club, since we are not from that region and we heard the north west was easier. All of our skaters skated and placed well. Our coaches told us it is based on the club's skaters placement. It was a big competition and there was some tough competition.I wish they would post which club was 4th or 5th. Maybe we were close to winning. It would have been an encouragement to our skaters to know this info. Anyways, Boise won 1st. 2nd and 3rd went to Utah clubs. Those coaches must be doing something right. Looks like we will have to step up for next year.

twokidsskatemom
03-26-2004, 01:15 PM
Sounds like your getting your moneys worth. My child just competed in the future champions competition in Wyoming. We really thought we would win one of the trophys for the most outstanding club, since we are not from that region and we heard the north west was easier. All of our skaters skated and placed well. Our coaches told us it is based on the club's skaters placement. It was a big competition and there was some tough competition.I wish they would post which club was 4th or 5th. Maybe we were close to winning. It would have been an encouragement to our skaters to know this info. Anyways, Boise won 1st. 2nd and 3rd went to Utah clubs. Those coaches must be doing something right. Looks like we will have to step up for next year.
we are excited to be able to go down there and check out the ice and the coaches.
do you know the names of the utah clubs that won? my dd ex coach is now in salt lake with one of her kids from here.
hope you child had a good time !! we are doing a fcc next month.

Penguin
03-26-2004, 02:20 PM
My child had a wonderful time and thats what it's all about! 2nd place was wasatch fsc and 3rd was utah fsc.

twokidsskatemom
03-26-2004, 03:21 PM
yep, we do know the coach from the salt lake club.They have alot of great coaches down there. :)

sheikspeer
03-26-2004, 06:26 PM

Boise sends almost all its skaters to Jackson, and they have many Basic Skills kids who all rack up those points. And that is what those coaches are doing right, Basic Skills. At the higher levels, nothing. And the prices they charge are not Basic Skills prices, sorry.

twokidsskatemom
03-26-2004, 06:34 PM
my dd is in basic skills and still pay 60 an hour.That is what they charge, and in alot of places, more than that.

sheikspeer
03-26-2004, 06:42 PM
and that's why I asked where you were from. Because maybe you are getting more for your money wherever you already are. Most rinks are. But the main problem here is them not letting anyone else coach other than the few ?? quality they have. Do your coaches that charge 60/hour have high PSA ratings or are gold medalist or national experience? That would make a difference. If they have none of that and are charging 60 hour then you have my sympathy too. :cry:

tsolomon
03-27-2004, 06:24 AM
A great coach can make a good skater better and a great skater can make a so-so coach look good. You can't rank a coach by how much they charge or what their PSA level is. What is more important is how they work with your skater. What might be a great coach for one skater could be the wrong choice for yours. There has to be some chemistry along with a strong working relationship that provides the right motivation for your skater. Kids are motivated in different ways and some coaches are not flexible enough in the way they teach to modify their approach.

sheikspeer
03-27-2004, 08:50 AM
but you can "rank" a coach by their experience, etc. when it comes to what they charge...especially when they don't want to let any more experienced coaches in the rink. However, some of these less-experienced coaches are definitely building relationships with some of these young skaters and that is nice.

twokidsskatemom
05-26-2004, 01:15 AM
We just got back and had a great time!! The ice was good and my dd was able to geta few lessons in as well.We met some nice kids and liked the coaches too.
Downfall... the public ice was more spendy. They have more time ie the afternoon session is 3 or 3.5 hours but it was 5.50 for her and 6.50 for adults.
We were glad she was able to get time and we all had fun.She picked up some new skills and some new ways of doing things.Nice to have a new coach, even for a week.

blades
05-26-2004, 09:37 AM
8-)

it's in interesting fact that simply hearing the same instructions from a "new" coach, or guest coach as the case may be, can really help a skater improve...

glad to see that you had a nice visit to spudtown...hope y'all try visiting other cities on occasion for the same reason...the travel is nice and your kids skating will benefit...