View Full Version : what makes certain blades better than others?

AstarZ41
03-16-2004, 08:26 PM
I got my new skates today with MK Professional blades. Looking at all the different blades on display at the pro shop made me wonder: how are higher end blades better than lower end blades? One obvious reason is the toe pick, of course. The toe picks on better blades seemed larger and there was a variety of styles (straight, cross cut, k-pick) Then, I know there is the radius of the blade...seems like it's usually either 7 or 8 (and this depends on skater's preference, right?). I also think better blades might be built stronger. But what really separates blades like Gold Seals from Coronation Aces from say Excels? I was comparing my MK Profs to Excels and other than the toe pick there aren't any other visible differences. Then how do better blades improve your skating and why such a difference in price?

TashaKat
03-17-2004, 12:30 AM
Hi

It's not really about what's better it's about what's right for you! Although I moved onto MK Gold Star's quite quickly (because I got a boot/blade combo INCREDIBLY cheaply) I wouldn't say that Gold Seals etc are suitable for beginnners! Yes, you might 'learn' not to skate too far forward on the blades but you're probably going to end up with bruised knees ;)

When I 'moved up' from Coronation Aces (which I hated) I found that the Gold Stars were faster and that I felt more secure on my edges, going onto Dance blades (MK Dance) I found my turns MUCH easier (wow! I CAN do a three turn ;) ).

At the end of the day it's horses for courses BUT a good blade doesn't make you a better skater just because it's more expensive! I love Gold Seals and I love the MK Dance (old version!) but not everyone gets on with them, it's about YOUR needs and what is suitable FOR YOU!

dooobedooo
03-17-2004, 06:17 AM
Generally, the quality of the steel is far superior, and should be free of faults or imperfections. Also, it may be hardened either just on the edge or throughout. This makes it stronger, far more reliable and more lasting, and it will go much longer between sharpenings. Better blades are faster, too. Also, the quality control will be better, so you get a more uniform standard. Lower end blades (and even the occasional high end one) sometimes bend out of shape due to the forces they are under. And that is no good when you want the finest precision in your skating elements.

A skate pro once told me that the cost of the metal in the lower end beginner blades (which come with the boot at about 80 pounds), is only about 50 pence.