View Full Version : exercises for increasing flexibility - pls help!

AuroraBorealis
03-14-2004, 01:04 PM
What can I do to improve my flexibility?
My body is awfully inflexible, runs in the family, and although I've been trying to improve it, I'm only making snail paced progress...

Do you know of any good stretching and flexibility exercises?

I'll appreciate any ideas!

TashaKat
03-14-2004, 02:17 PM
Hi, haven't got any exercises right now but just wanted to say that snail paced is how it is with stretching and flexibility ... a little at a time is the best way to ensure that you don't become injured .... and YES you can get injured by stretching if you don't do it properly (don't bounce, don't hurt, don't jolt, don't overstretch).

To be perfectly honest my main suggestion would be to get a teacher or attend a class if you can or even ask at the rink to see if they do a stretch class! Pilates is great as is yoga, I was always very flexible (but am hypermobile so that helps!) when I was doing ballet so that may be worth a try :)

Good luck

x

barnita
03-14-2004, 03:03 PM
My daughter has a Maxiflex. You can get them at skating shops. Here is a link to one. It is easy to use and I'm sure if used on a regular basis, it would help with your flexibility.

http://www.skate-connection.com/figursk8/figacces/maxiflex.htm

Mrs Redboots
03-15-2004, 02:23 AM
What a great site! Anybody coming to the Mountain Cup here? If so, would you order and bring me a pair of the gold and copper boot covers (http://www.skate-connection.com/figursk8/figacc_btcov.htm) as shown, and I'll pay you when I see you? If I order them myself, chances are the shipping will be extortionate.

SkateFan123
03-15-2004, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by AuroraBorealis
What can I do to improve my flexibility?
My body is awfully inflexible, runs in the family, and although I've been trying to improve it, I'm only making snail paced progress...

Do you know of any good stretching and flexibility exercises?

I'll appreciate any ideas!

Try Yoga.

Sk8r4Life
03-15-2004, 12:13 PM
Here is a link to Brad Appleton's stretching exercises--a lot of info to read through, but the exercises are great. If you can work on your stretches for about 10-15 min. each day (make sure your muscles are warm--stretch right after exercise or a warm shower or bath), you should start seeing results after a few weeks.

Stretching exercises (http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/)

Chico
03-15-2004, 09:38 PM
Consistency. You gotta do the same exercises several times. Each time you push yourself a little further. (It shouldn't hurt!) It's best to warm up before you exercise. Always. Flexibility does come slowly. To keep it, you gotta maintain it.

Chico

NoVa Sk8r
03-15-2004, 11:02 PM
As a guy, I consider myself pretty flexible. And part of that reason is that I have been stretching for several years. But the trick is that you should stretch WHILE YOUR MUSCLES ARE WARM! 5-10 minutes before you leave the ice, stretch your legs on the boards. Remember to stretch after taking your skates off, too. You can do calf stretches, splits, and spirals.
Also, if you train at the gym, stretching between sets is excellent. I attribute my good flexibility to this.

As one poster mentioned, don't expect major improvements in a short amount of time. And never overstretch.

I think yoga and pilates would be excellent choices. Many gyms offer these classes for free, and many rinks have some type of off-ice training.

Good luck!

Bulldog
03-18-2004, 04:42 PM
Ballet, ballet, ballet.

IceAngel2007
03-25-2004, 08:03 AM
gymnastics, gymnastics, gymnastics

IceAngel2007
04-07-2004, 11:39 AM
I'm a contortionist-in-training:)