View Full Version : Purple boots, etc.

skaternum
03-13-2004, 05:31 PM
So how do you get purple laces ?? I saw the picture posted in the lessons thread, and it made me wonder.

And how many skaters here have boots in unusual colors?

Justine_R
03-13-2004, 08:08 PM
Wow kool, I wanna get some!

jazzpants
03-13-2004, 10:23 PM
I did find one place so far that's online and they make purple laces, but they're in the UK and I'm not sure how they do the exchange rates...

http://www.all-laced-up.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Round_Bootlaces_6.html

As TashaKat mentioned (and I'll add to it...), Harlicks can hand-dye the white laces for $5 a pair to match up with your boots. I'm not sure I want to do that yet. I wanna see if I could dye the laces myself or even find some online that I already like. (Not all shades of purple are created equal. I was showing a swatch of the leather that's the same as my custom skates to a fellow skater. Depending on the light, it comes out either blue or public to her.)

If there is a place like the UK shoe lace store above where I can get skinny flat nylon or cotton blend laces in the shade of purple I want, please post here! :mrgreen:

dooobedooo
03-14-2004, 01:29 AM
They do accept credit cards, so the exchange rate will be as per your normal credit card (dollar being about 1.80 to pound at the moment). In the past. I have ordered some clothing from US and Canada, and usually the big charges come on postage, courier admin and customs; and every website is different in terms of their postage policy. Generally plain ordinary airmail is fine, maybe registered. However, with bootlaces they are light and low value so guess this would not be too big an issue.

Wow - you can have so many colour bootlaces - now purple bootlaces on black boots - that might be cool ....

TashaKat
03-14-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by jazzpants
As TashaKat mentioned (and I'll add to it...), Harlicks can hand-dye the white laces for $5 a pair to match up with your boots. I'm not sure I want to do that yet. I wanna see if I could dye the laces myself or even find some online that I already like.

I tried dyeing some myself (I'm dying my dance boots lilac) and they ended up with a marbled effect! I used the correct dye etc but it just came out BAD. To be honest, though, the laces that came with my Harlicks (pre dyed, no extra cost) are still going strong so I doubt that I'd need to by yet another extra pair anyway!

I know that Wifa do coloured boots BUT I also know that people have had problems with them falling apart AND they supply (or used to supply) them with WHITE laces!!!

My favourites from Harlick were the furry leopard print ones, they're SO tactile :D Unfortunately I was unsure about how resiliant they'd be to knocks and abrasions so didn't go for them in the end!

x

icenut84
03-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by dooobedooo
Wow - you can have so many colour bootlaces - now purple bootlaces on black boots - that might be cool ....

I've wanted some coloured laces for my white boots for ages! Does anyone know if you can get dye for laces, and if it'll work? (And whether it'll stain the boots or not?) I'd get normal coloured laces, but I don't think they'd work - probably wouldn't be long enough for my skates.

flo
03-15-2004, 02:01 PM
If you're going to dye laces, the cotton ones would be best. I have painted and dyed several costumes, and I purchase my supplies from Dharma trading. They also have cotton/lycra leotards at reasonable prices that can be painted for costumes.
http://www.dharmatrading.com

jazzpants
03-15-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by flo
If you're going to dye laces, the cotton ones would be best. I have painted and dyed several costumes, and I purchase my supplies from Dharma trading. They also have cotton/lycra leotards at reasonable prices that can be painted for costumes.
http://www.dharmatrading.com Thanks for the link! :D

My problem is that I want to dye nylon or cotton blends! Cotton laces break do not last very long for me and I've had trouble with keeping the laces tight enough w/my first pair of boots (and my current pair for that matter...) Once I got the nylon laces, problem went away.

So... how difficult is it to dye cotton blends or nylon laces? (Thanks in advanced.)

flo
03-15-2004, 02:40 PM
For a cotton blend, you will just need to use more dye. I haven't tried nylon, but give it a try with some old laces.
Have fun.

batikat
03-15-2004, 03:52 PM
If you want to dye nylon laces you will probably need to use 'acid' dyes rather than the type of dye, ('Procion' eg Dylon cold water dyes) that you use for cotton. You would be able to get it at a craft store. Acid dyes are also used to dye animal fibres like wool. They need acid to work (which can be vinegar). To avoid the mottled look you need to keep the fabric moving in the dye bath. A cat litter tray is a good dye bath and the laces can be laid out in it. Acid dyes usually need hot water and the fabric can be agitated with a wooden spoon.

You could 'space dye' laces in multicolours this way, by laying out the laces in the tray, puttign a little dye powder of different colours at intervals and pouring over the hot water. Agitate a little bit without mixing the colours. I haven't tried it with laces but it should work!!

flo
03-15-2004, 03:58 PM
I like the kitty litter tray idea. I have had pots of dye on the stove with dresses suspended over them - must look great to anyone peering in!

Justine_R
03-16-2004, 09:05 AM
I want GREEN ones:D