View Full Version : Lake Placid Adult Nationals

Figureskates
03-11-2004, 09:49 AM
A little over a month to go!!

I am heading up a month from to day to help my club out in getting ready for the event which starts the 14th. Also most of the time I will be working the registration table (since I didn't complete all the requirements to skate Bronze) so introduce yourselves so I can put faces to names of skaters who post here.

Also if anyone wants to volunteer, please e-mail me and I will pass the information along to the powers that be. I have one person already. The more the merrier!!

flo
03-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Hi,
Our group will also be there for the entire week, arriving on Saturday. We have rented a house on the lake, so perhaps we can all get together sometime. I may also need to find a sitter while I'm there -if you know any in the area.
Thanks

PattyP
03-11-2004, 11:06 AM
Hi!

I will be arriving on Monday night and will be there the entire week! I will probably see you on Tues or Wed.

I can't wait!

PattyP

Beccapoo2003
03-11-2004, 09:36 PM
I'll be there all week. Put me where ya want, as long as it doesn't conflict with my competing and practice ice schedule. I'm a good worker and I love to see all of my skating buddies! :) I've done ice monitor, music, registration, etc.
Becca from Alabama

skaternum
03-12-2004, 09:25 AM
I'll arrive Monday afternoon and will stay through Sunday morning. I love LP, and don't want to miss a minute of the fun. :P

dani
03-12-2004, 12:55 PM
To sound like a broken record ... I am arriving Monday and leaving Sunday Morning ;-)

See you all there!!

Hugs!
Danielle

LWalsh
03-12-2004, 02:25 PM
I'm going to be different and stay from Sunday to Sunday.

Can't wait:)

skaternum
03-12-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by LWalsh
I'm going to be different and stay from Sunday to Sunday.
Well that's just crazy talk. :lol:

Raine
03-13-2004, 07:13 AM
Depending on whether my event has a qualifying round or not, I'll be arriving either on Monday or Wednesday.

Cheers,
Raine

DRENDAVN
03-14-2004, 01:48 PM
I'm arriving with some friends on Monday and will be staying thru Sunday to spectate.

Anyone who'se going please email me privately -

DRENDAVN@juno.com

since I'd like to meet as many as possible from the group.

Please tell me what events you're entered in as I will be photographing as many as I can with my new digital Olympus.

Figureskates doesn't need to contact me - he and I are old pals from August Adult Week. Ask him about the guy on the ice with sneakers photographing us doing our best x-overs on the hockey circle. I wonder where those pics are now?

Can't wait to be there -
Dave D.

sk8er1964
03-14-2004, 09:34 PM
I plan on being there Monday through Sunday too. What event is everyone doing? I'm Gold Ladies II.

flo
03-15-2004, 10:44 AM
Hi,
Ladies Interpretive II

flo
03-15-2004, 11:54 AM
Also, does anyone know when the exhibition was last year?
Thanks

PattyP
03-15-2004, 05:27 PM
I will be doing Silver II and Interp II.

flo, for the life of me, I can't remember if the exibition was Friday night or Saturday night. I may still have the info tucked in a folder somewhere. I'll try to look for it tonight.

DRENDAVN
03-15-2004, 10:56 PM
Just to clarify - I'd like the attending/competing list members to email me so that I can send them my pic. This way anyone interested in meeting will be able to identify me at AN. I don't think PMs through this board will allow attached files to be sent.

DRENDAVN@juno.com

Thanks,
Dave D.

Figureskates
03-20-2004, 06:46 PM
Hey Dave, glad to see you will be there.

My skating partner, Lady Kenmore is going to be there as well.

We will be getting our plans together for the "great performance" next August!!

During the first part of the week before the competition I will be either on the ice, or roaming around the town.

SK8RX
03-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Does anyone know when we can expect a final tentative schedule for Lake Placid?

Raine
03-22-2004, 01:01 PM
There's a newly posted schedule at http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/adltnatcompsched.htm

LWalsh
03-22-2004, 01:27 PM
:?? OK I am confused. It says that for Ladies Silver I, we warm up at 6am and the competition is at 9:15. Does that mean there is no five minute warm up right before the event??? Three hours is an awfully long time to "keep warm".

Raine
03-22-2004, 01:55 PM
I think it means that you have a 20-minute group warmup, then a 5-minute flight warmup before your flight competes.

Cheers,
Raine

sk8er1964
03-22-2004, 02:02 PM
:?? OK I am confused. It says that for Ladies Silver I, we warm up at 6am and the competition is at 9:15. Does that mean there is no five minute warm up right before the event??? Three hours is an awfully long time to "keep warm".

It means that there is ice set aside for competitors in that event only to practice. There will still be a warm up right before the event. I had the same quesiton last year :D .

Sk8r4Life
03-22-2004, 02:43 PM
Does anyone know when they will post the skate order, or at least what group you are in for qualifying round and interpretive? According to the schedule, it looks like my coach and I may be competing at the same time on different rinks! Does the LOC take this into account when creating the schedules?

Thanks in advance!

daisies
03-22-2004, 03:44 PM
Does anyone know when they will post the skate order, or at least what group you are in for qualifying round and interpretive? According to the schedule, it looks like my coach and I may be competing at the same time on different rinks! Does the LOC take this into account when creating the schedules?

I would assume the groups will be posted sometime this week or next. However, your skate order won't be posted until at least the first official practice session.

As for scheduling conflicts, the LOC is not in charge of the schedule, the chief referee is. Unfortunately, the only conflicts a referee will take into account are for individual skaters or pair/dance teams; for example, if skater A is in both silver II and adult pairs or interp II, the referee has to make sure skater A has enough time between events to make costume or skate changes. A referee will not consider that a coach and his/her student are skating at the same time for various reasons, one of which is that a lot of times skaters have several coaches, and the referee can't possibly know which of a skaters' coaches is actually going to be the one in charge of the skater; for all the referee knows, the skater doesn't want the coach to put him/her on for financial reasons, etc.

Your coach will simply have to make accommodations for you, perhaps asking another coach to work with you during that short time period. Good luck!

PattyP
03-22-2004, 10:31 PM
I just looked at the schedule and Silver II Final round is at the same time as the Championship Masters Ladies event :cry: Whether or not I make final round I still like to watch it and the Champ Masters events are always my favorite to watch. It was much better last year when our event was on Friday. Oh well, I guess someone has to get stuck with that time and miss the "big" events.

PattyP

Figureskates
03-23-2004, 06:02 AM
It never dawned on me that a coach could be skating at the same time as his/her student. I can see that would be a problem.

One word people, I didn't make the schedule up so when you come to the registration table and are upset about this, please don't beat me up. I am only the messenger!! I am also an adult figure skater like you, I am just helping my club out...me, friend!! :halo: :halo: :halo:

LWalsh
03-23-2004, 08:50 AM
My coach has three other Bronze level students who were supposed to go to Nationals but were tunred down due to citizenship requirements. If they had gone, they would be competing at the same time as me but in the 1932 rink.

Coach would have to choose who to put on the ice?? :cry:

flo
03-23-2004, 09:58 AM
I've been in a situation often where my partner and I, or I were competing at the same time as another of my coaches students. Because of the relatively short times of the programs (most under 3 minutes), and the proximity of the rinks to eachother it was rare that both of the programs were at the exact same time. At one time we had around 15 competitors for this one coach, and he rarely missed an event because of a conflict. He was great at running between the rinks!
What we did that worked well was to have other friends be there for the warm up, and cover until our coach arrived. I've put many skaters on the ice and stepped in as "coach". If anyone needs help at a practice or event, let me know, and if I'm not on the ice, I'd be glad to help.

SkateGuard
03-23-2004, 07:59 PM
When I started competing, I was so nervous that I needed my coach, or I would have fainted.

When I started doing club comps in the summer, I had to do it without a coach. (She has a house that she visits on the weekends in the summer.) Last year, I had my competitor's coach and a friend of mine put me on the ice. It was fine.

There will be lots of people who can put you out on the ice in Lake Placid if your coach is competing on the other rink. :)

I just think it's cool that your coach is competing...there are so many adult skaters who have coaches who don't even understand adult competition.

Erin
who is not looking forward to the 5am CST warm-up...the Pac Coast people will still be asleep!

techskater
03-23-2004, 08:54 PM
I've put myself on the ice and have put several of my friends on the ice over the last couple years. Basically, if you can work with your coach before hand to know what needed to be done on the 5 min w/u, then just to have someone there to take your stuff is really all you need. It's a matter of being organized!

techskater - who is not looking forward to TWO early morning warm ups at ANs

sk8er1964
03-23-2004, 09:07 PM
Let's see -- the warm-up for champ gold is at 8:35 am. The comp is at 8:40 pm 8O . I've never competed that late before. I guess a really good nap at around 4:00 is in order :D !

Cinderella
03-23-2004, 11:23 PM
I've put myself on the ice and have put several of my friends on the ice over the last couple years. Basically, if you can work with your coach before hand to know what needed to be done on the 5 min w/u, then just to have someone there to take your stuff is really all you need. It's a matter of being organized!

techskater - who is not looking forward to TWO early morning warm ups at ANs

All I can say is that if my coach couldn't put me on the ice, Techskater is the person I'd want to have behind me!!! Oh wait ... she WAS behind me! I can see her hugging me in the video, and when I leave the ice you can clearly hear her shouting out congratulations.

You're the best!

Cinderella
03-23-2004, 11:24 PM
Let's see -- the warm-up for champ gold is at 8:35 am. The comp is at 8:40 pm 8O . I've never competed that late before. I guess a really good nap at around 4:00 is in order :D !

And we ALL know what happens when you get in a good power nap!!! ;)

jazzpants
03-24-2004, 12:51 AM
Let's see -- the warm-up for champ gold is at 8:35 am. The comp is at 8:40 pm 8O . I've never competed that late before. I guess a really good nap at around 4:00 is in order :D ! That's nuttin... try 10pm for me at my last competition (Skate SF!!!)
http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pmoonsleep.gif

And the last event (not mine) was at 10:35pm!!! 8O

Lucky for me, I sleep at 12 midnight... I don't keep skater's hours... :P

Good luck, y'all!!! Go out there and KICK SOME ICE BUTTS!!! http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blob_box.gif

Terri C
03-25-2004, 06:51 AM
When I competed in January at the New Years comp in DC, it was the first time in two years that I didn't have my coach with me.
I'll be dealing with it again at Central Carolina Classic next week. Coach will be there for my compulsory on Saturday, but will be leaving Saturday night and will miss my freeskate on Sunday morning!

Figureskates
03-25-2004, 08:37 AM
Good thing I am going up early...looks like registration is gonna start Sunday.

daisies
03-25-2004, 03:30 PM
Good thing I am going up early...looks like registration is gonna start Sunday.

On Easter? Really? Wow!

flo
04-05-2004, 01:32 PM
I checked the weather forecast for Lake Placid. Brrrrr.

PattyP
04-05-2004, 02:08 PM
I checked the weather forecast for Lake Placid. Brrrrr.

You're not kidding! "currenly 16 deg....feels like 4 deg" 8O

http://www.weather.com/weather/local/USNY0778?from=search_city

Rain/snow forcasted for next week.

Being from So. Cal, I'm a cold weather wimp! I'm going to need a bigger suitcase!

Figureskates
04-05-2004, 02:20 PM
Being a weather forecaster, looking at the models there is the suggestion of a little "surprise" next week.

When I was up there for sectionals last November, we had a blizzard on the 14th....10 inches of snow and the temperature went from 50 to 14 in about 8 hours.

I like this kind of weather and is one of the reasons we are going to live there in a year or two.

PattyP
04-05-2004, 02:27 PM
Being a weather forecaster, looking at the models there is the suggestion of a little "surprise" next week.

Uh oh.... :o

Actually, when I went to AN in 2000, we arrived to find 2 ft. of fresh snow on the ground and it was absolutly beautiful! I have some amazing photos of Mirror Lake and the snow all around. We had to shovel snow to get to the front door of the house we rented!

skaternum
04-05-2004, 03:36 PM
Actually, when I went to AN in 2000, we arrived to find 2 ft. of fresh snow on the ground and it was absolutly beautiful! I have some amazing photos of Mirror Lake and the snow all around.

Yeah, this was one of the things that made my first trip to AN in 2000 magical. I'm from the South, so I still get excited about snow, even though I lived in Germany for 3 years and got plenty of it. I still just love it. I was already so excited to be going to AN to skate with the big girls, and Lake Placid just has so much ... mystique! So when I got about an hour out of LP, the most gorgeous fluffy snowflakes started falling. I was just thrilled! It made my visit to the "winter sports capital of the world" perfect. I have a great pic of me standing in the snow in front of the Olympic Center sign. Oh, I hope we get snow next week!

dani
04-05-2004, 04:38 PM
Living in Florida, I love snow! ;-) All I can say is that if it snows, you better be driving then ;-)

I can't wait to see you all there!!!

Hugs!
Danielle

Figureskates
04-05-2004, 08:36 PM
Registration will start on Tuesday, not Sunday. It has been changed.

Since I am helping out, they are keeping me in the loop before I head up there on Sunday....and it snowed most of the day today at Lake Placid.

~~~~Note to Patty P. All meteorologists are not nuts!! You will see that I am quite sane. In fact, most of my fellows mets think I AM crazy since I am an adult figure skater.

flo
04-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Hi figureskates. We are arriving Saturday evening. Will there be practice ice available on Sunday - Bunny day?
Thanks

Figureskates
04-06-2004, 10:37 AM
Flo, I don't know. I will try and find out and get back to you.

Figureskates
04-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Just got an e-mail from a friend up at Lake Placid.

There is no practice ice on Sunday, in fact the rink may not even be open since it is Easter Sunday.

Paid practice ice starts on Monday..

flo
04-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Thanks for checking!

Figureskates
04-07-2004, 12:50 PM
No problem...

Life will be so much easier when we finally move up there.

My wife keeps telling me she knows that I will be in heaven...four sheets of ice, 5 in the winter....so much ice and so little time!!

dani
04-07-2004, 03:36 PM
Hi! I am looking forward to seeing everyone starting Monday! I have my group info now.

Hugs!
Danielle

PattyP
04-07-2004, 06:03 PM
~~~~Note to Patty P. All meteorologists are not nuts!! You will see that I am quite sane. In fact, most of my fellows mets think I AM crazy since I am an adult figure skater.

LOL! At one point I actually thought about going into that field, but I chose the exciting field of electrical engineering instead :roll:

My co-workers think I'm nuts too!

I'm looking forward to seeing you and everyone else next week!

PattyP