View Full Version : New Boot/Blade suggestions.

jestemkkool
03-10-2004, 04:56 PM
Hi, I've been skating for a year and am working on USFSA level Freeskate 4. I have been through three basic skills competitions(all 1st place) and am interested in skating a minimum of four times a week this summer. I've been looking at different boots and blades and would like others opinions on SP-Teri or any other companies boots and different style blades, especially the K-pick blades.
Also, with my current boots, they are Jackson Mystique with a Wilson Jubilee blade(i have a wedge inbewteen the heel of the blade and boot.). I get bruises on my inner ankle bones every time I skate. Also, I can't lace the boots up all the way because it prevents me from bending my ankles to gte lower on my knee's ect. However, I am constantly haveing to tie and retie my boots and although they are very tight, I don't feel like they are giving me enough support. My parents and coach don't see a problem with the boots and I want to stay with them until I test out of the basic skills program(Freeskate 6). Does anyone have any temporary suggestions on how I can fix this problem?
Thank you in advance for the help,
Katy

Elsy2
03-10-2004, 05:32 PM
As for your ankles.....it sort of sounds like you are pronating in those boots causing inside ankle bones to be bruised. That's not good....are your inside ankle bones becoming larger? Your coach should be able to see if you are pronating. If not I suggest you get the ankle area punched out by a fitter to relieve the pressure there.
If you are pronating, you may need your blades moved a little, or sometimes an arch support will help.

Do you have big creases in your boots where you bend?

jestemkkool
03-10-2004, 05:37 PM
I have had them punched out and I'm not sure about the pronation. My ankle bones aren't/haven't grown. Also, there are no big creases in the boots, however, not lacing the boot up all the way has helped with leaning and deep knee bending but would that have anything to do with me not feeling like I'm getting enough support out of the boots?

Elsy2
03-10-2004, 05:43 PM
I admit I don't lace my boots all the way up, much to the horror of the SP-teri fitter I last talked to. My coach doesn't lace in the last holes of her boots either, so I think it's OK.

You might want to buy some cosmetic sponges and try and cushion your ankle bones. But I think something is wrong with your fit or blade position to cause this in this first place. When boots start breaking down, you can start to pronate which would make your inner ankle bones hurt.

As for blades, you really have no need to even think about K-picks unless you are doing doubles and triples.

Michigansk8er
03-10-2004, 06:32 PM
Hi,

I'm just curious what jumps you are now working on, since I see Freestyle 6 requires a lutz and camel/sit? I'm not really familiar with the LTS freestyle progression since skaters typically move into private lessons by your level where I skate. By the way........you have done amazingly well for one year. Keep up the good work! :D Maybe you can start working on your regular track moves this summer along with your freestyle tests. Good luck, and hope you can find a solution for your boots. I've had my share of problems, and had to have my current boots punched out 7 times (I have custom SP Teri's). You might not have the punch in exactly the right place, or might need to have it done again. A bunga sleeve might be another solution.

Michigansk8er

pennybeagle
03-10-2004, 09:47 PM
I second Bunga pads!! I will not skate without my bunga ankle sleeves.

One thought: are your bruises anywhere near where the lace hooks of your skates are? I have seen some skaters at my rink have bruising problems with combo boot/blade skates... basically, the leather behind the hook had worn thin, and the bruising was caused by the metal hook (which has NO stretch or give) digging into the ankle.

TashaKat
03-11-2004, 01:33 AM
Another vote for bunga pads!

Re the K-Picks ..... I know people who've had them and they were split between liking them, not liking them and feeling that they didn't make any difference at all. What I will say, however, is that everyone that I know who had them has now moved on to something else. The feedback that I got was (I haven't used them) that they SHOULDN'T be used to correct a problem which is why some people bought them, the money would be better spent on correcting the toe slippage or whatever.

http://www.johnwilsonskates.com/features/kpick-blade-tall.gif

Quite a few people have gone onto John Watts blades (http://www.johnwattsltd.com/) but I have to admit to have been interested in trying out the Ultima's (are they still around?) but they're not easily available in the UK.

Then, of course, there's the parabolic blades (http://www.johnwilsonskates.com/features/parabolic.html) which taper in the mid section.

jenlyon60
03-11-2004, 05:51 AM
Lynne --

I have the Ultima Ascend (Dance blades) and LOVE them. Much more stable than my MK Dance blades I got a couple years ago. Coach GS says he can tell a difference in my skating. He also switched to Ascends after having worn nothing but MK Dance blades for years, and likes them alot (he switched before me...)

I paid something like USD 315 for mine. With the exchange rate the way it is right now, if you know what size you need, you might want to order from a US shop...even with the customs and taxes, you might make out. (BTW, I had 9" MK dance so I got 9" Ascends but could easily have put 9 1/4" Ascends on the boots.)

--jsl

Elsy2
03-11-2004, 10:56 AM
I think Pennybeagle may be onto the answer here. My hooks lie on my ankle bone and I must wear Bunga ankle sleeves.

Lynn - Ultimas are still available through Jackson.....I was talking to a young man about his blades this weekend, and he said he switched back to Gold Seals, as his coaches didn't like the Ultimas for some reason. Not sure what that reason is......this young man is Novice doing triples. He personally liked his Ultimas though...

jestemkkool
03-13-2004, 10:44 AM
Michigansk8er-(I'm working on the loop, waltz/loop and waltz/1/2 loop/slachow jumps, and I do take private lessons. By regualr track moves, do you mean moves in the feild?)
I think I am going to try bunga pads before I punch the boot out again or have the blade position adjusted- Thanks for the advice!

jp1andOnly
03-13-2004, 11:20 AM
Interesting,

many senior men in Canada are in ultimas because they are waaaay stronger than any other blade. My brother bent 2 pairs of pattern 99 blades. He was also using another pair (which ones i totally forget) and they were being warped from doing triples and working on quads.

If I could afford ultimas I would have got a pair. As is, my graf bootes just were too pricy to add on an expensive blade.

Originally posted by Elsy2
I think Pennybeagle may be onto the answer here. My hooks lie on my ankle bone and I must wear Bunga ankle sleeves.

Lynn - Ultimas are still available through Jackson.....I was talking to a young man about his blades this weekend, and he said he switched back to Gold Seals, as his coaches didn't like the Ultimas for some reason. Not sure what that reason is......this young man is Novice doing triples. He personally liked his Ultimas though...

Michigansk8er
03-13-2004, 05:34 PM
jestemkkool,

I hope the bungas work for you. A lot easier fix than trying to get the punch just right. It does sound like you might want to consider a boot/blade upgrade soon considering your level and the specs listed on the Jackson site for what you have currently. I hope you are able to get something that will work better for you. It sounds like the overall fit of your boot just is not right for you. Before you buy something new, try on a variety of boots if you can and look to upgrade your blade. Hopefully, you can get some good advice from your skate shop. You might want to consider Klingbiels or a stock Harlick too. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Michigansk8er

twokidsskatemom
03-14-2004, 02:28 PM
I would agree to at least move up in your boot.most of the people here in fs are using a jackson fs skate.

jestemkkool
03-14-2004, 04:36 PM
The thing is my parents won't let me upgrade until next season(aprox around sept.) unless I pass Freeskate 6 before then. I'm going to have my boots punched again and I am going to get the bunga pads. But right now, I'm having a hard enough time getting ice time because of the cost issue(i've been having to use public ice time which ended today). I have changed the blade which i did last month to a Wilson Jubilee and that has helped with spins but it was around the same time that I have started to have boot problems. Now, I can't even think about upgrading my boots because I have a show coming up in May and wont be able to break them in by then(it takes me a while to break skates in, and I don't want that to screw up my first solo!). Thank you(everybody) for the great advice!

TashaKat
03-15-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by jestemkkool
I have changed the blade which i did last month to a Wilson Jubilee and that has helped with spins but it was around the same time that I have started to have boot problems.

I agree with Elsy, get someone to look at your blades, they may need moving slightly ESPECIALLY as you say that your boot problems started when you switched blades.

x

jestemkkool
03-23-2004, 07:24 AM
What does everyone think about Graf boots?

dbny
03-23-2004, 07:56 AM
What does everyone think about Graf boots?

A lot of Europeans (and all the Russians I know & know of) wear Grafs. I also know an up and coming competitor with triples who wears them. The consensus, AFAIK, is that they are extremely comfortable, but tend to break down a bit earlier than other comparable custom boots. A couple of Russian coaches I met recently who have many years of show experience love them, but told me they don't do the heat molding, as they last longer when it is not done. The competitor I know told me that they are lighter than Klingbeils (his previous boot), but do not fit as well.