View Full Version : Sunny/Rainy Lessons/Practices Mar 7- Mar 13

dbny
03-08-2004, 03:54 PM
I finally have gotten up the courage to start one of these things :D

The title is in reference to the crazy weather we are having in NYC lately.

Sunny
Our skating school at the outdoor rink cancelled the show scheduled for Saturday, 3/6 because of torrential rain, and lo and behold, we had an absolutely gloriously sunny day for the raindate, Sunday, 3/7. The ice held out for our show, which was from 1:30 to 2, but they had to cone off large areas of "lake" for the public session following.

The show was one of the best we've done. We were lucky enough to encounter three new Russian coaches with a lot of show experience who took charge just three weeks before showtime. They really knew how to keep the kids moving during the unavoidable glitches and transition spots. The kids all performed beautifully, including our three soloists, who all had butterflies.

My Snowplow Sam 1 class all passed their test with flying colors and were so cute receiving their progress books and certificates. My Basic 1 class also all passed quite nicely, including the lad who had only been on the ice 4 times, and one of those with hockey skates that put him back to first base. His swizzles just came out of nowhere, and he only fell twice in the lesson.

I had to leave the rink after the show to drive hubby to work and drop off my daughter at a friend's house. I came back to the rink hoping to see how one of my students was doing, but she had left by then, however, I picked up three unscheduled private lessons. One was for a father and his two daughters (five and eleven), none of whom had ever been on the ice before! We worked for twenty minutes, about ten of it playing Simon Says, and they were all skating safely by the end....so gratifying :D They took my card and may come for lessons on our Sunday ice that we will have until June at the indoor rink.

Rainy
I'm really going to miss the outdoor rink. Its last session is next Sunday, and I will be out of town on Fri & Sat.

garyc254
03-09-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by dbny
I finally have gotten up the courage to start one of these things :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: Way to go DB. I was running out of ideas. ;)

Sunny: There's a young lad in my Sam 2 class that has been consistently pumping with only one foot while keeping the other foot stationary. He's a shy guy, so talking with him gets only a little response. Last night, when I would be anywhere near him, I'd say "both feet" several times just to remind him. As we took the last long skate across the ice at the end of the class, he was using both feet!!!! YAY!!! I looked up at his mom behind the glass and waggled my fingers like a person walking and she smiled big time, nodding her her. She saw it too.

I got bumped from the new Sam 1 class since there were only five in the class and ended up in a Sam 3 class. I'll be honest, the skating director usually moves me when she needs an enforcer. The girl who coaches the Sam 3 is a terrific skater and coach, but her voice is VERY soft and sweet. ENTER THE ENFORCER. It was a class of 9 guys and 1 girl some of whom I've had in my previous classes. I put on my "dad the director" voice and after 10 minutes I had everyone going the same direction. I did have to round up a few straglers when they failed to listen and took off across the ice. Now the coach could coach. Parents were thanking me after the class for the great lesson.

I also helped with the adult beginner class. There are two couples taking the class along with 3 other "girls". One couple just started last week and couldn't understand why some of the others were doing things that they couldn't. I had to remind them that the others had taken the class last session too. Suddenly the wife had incentive because she could see where she could be after this session. She even mentioned to her husband that after they got a little better, she'd like them to try ice dance.

One of the "girls" in the class has a misformed ankle/foot. She's really been trying to keep her ankles straight. Last week she tried a smaller skate for the first time and made vast improvements. This week she brought a thin ankle/foot brace to wear under her boot. Her skating was excellent. She even commented that her "bad" ankle/foot felt better than her "good" one. :D :D :D

twokidsskatemom
03-12-2004, 04:55 PM
we did good, even with our travel back home.She had her group lesson and we skipped her private for this week so she could practice.
I am thinking about getting my own skates, rentals dont fit me right and Im skating twice a week or so with the kids.My kids coach thinks my dh and i can do ice dancing :roll: Im just trying to work in backwards swizzles ;)
Im think about jackson freestyle but i need a wide boot.I dont mind putting money in the kids stuff but really dont want to spend money on me.

Mrs Redboots
03-13-2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by twokidsskatemom
I am thinking about getting my own skates, rentals dont fit me right and Im skating twice a week or so with the kids.My kids coach thinks my dh and i can do ice dancing :roll: Im just trying to work in backwards swizzles ;) Yes, you absolutely must! You will love it - and I promise you, that for the first two years in ice dance, you don't need to even think about going backwards. And you can stretch that out quite a long way.....

You may well find that you and your husband end up skating long, long after your children have given up! That's what we have found - and, I suspect, our shared love of the sport kept us together once we became "empty nesters".

twokidsskatemom
03-13-2004, 01:05 PM
Mrs red,
That is funny,on wed my dd coach came up to us and said....... you know the first 4 ice dances you dont even go backwards:)
She right now coaches a a pair of kids who ice dance who went to jr nationals.
Empty nest lol, we will both be up there in age when they leave but its a nice thing to do as a family.
and congrats on the new job !!!!!!!!!1