View Full Version : Working or Idling: 7-13 March 2004

Mrs Redboots
03-07-2004, 06:13 AM
The title this week celebrates my new job!

Working: This being Sunday, we had our couples lesson. I've tried to choreograph a bit of our new "funny" dance, but have only got the first 20 seconds so far. I do wish I didn't find pairs' spins even more frightening than I do solo spins, as our coach wants us to put one in, and there are at least two places where it makes sense to do just that. We spent a lot of our lesson - when not dodging elite skaters doing either a Blues or a Starlight waltz - working on what I hope will be one of the highlights - hydroblades in the opposite direction, him backwards and clockwise, me forwards and anti-clockwise, then meet in the middle, come up and into what will probably be a "twirl", rather than a spin. At the moment, it doesn't work that well - but it will!

But please tell me why I make life difficult for myself by choreographing a Mohawk, followed by for me, a wrong-way step to forwards (feels almost like a twizzle, but isn't quite) into Foxtrot hold? All the same, it works!

Idling: I wonder how long it is going to take my husband to remember three simple steps: LFO, RFO, LFO swing! For some reason, he's got a block about them..... but they will come, I dare say!

In his lesson, he was working on a solo spin, and discovered he was doing the entry all wrong (he hasn't yet gone into detail about why). In our pairs spin, I was finding it nearly impossible not to fall into the circle - coach said I wasn't straightening my leg enough, and I do see that. But hard to correct, all the same.

And I have to tell him on Wednesday that I need to work on my stamina, which I do, but...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

jazzpants
03-08-2004, 02:38 AM
So happy to hear about your new job, Annabel! Enjoy it!!! You deserve it!!! :D

Working: Not much!!! Maybe 3 of the 5 moves on the Bronze Moves test? And later on my forward spins?

Idling: My LFO3!!! :x 2-3 MONTHS of work on LFO3 ALL GONE in 2.5 weeks!!! :evil: :frus: And my forward alt. crossovers are a bit weak on one side b/c I'm still recovering from my injury! Still have this "pulling" feeling on my leg too, so I can't push it too much.

I guess overall it's a "working" week so far considering. I hope I'll get back everything by next month. I want to get this #$%^@ Bronze moves test over and done with!!!

sk8pics
03-08-2004, 06:28 AM
Jazzpants-- Don't worry, your leg will heal with some time! I do hope you can take your moves test next week! Good luck!

As for me, I had a Working lesson yesterday, in every sense of the word! My coach and I spent just about 45 minutes working on my salchow, trying to make it all on one foot without the two-foot-interlude I've been doing. We used the harness most of the time. It was pretty funny at times, especially when he was holding the rope with his left hand and with his right hand he would grab my left arm and throw it through to help me jump and take my left side along with me ;) so it was like a one-handed throw salchow. We were both laughing at this. Anyway, finally did get it to where I can do the 3-turn and just tap my left toepick into the ice for a split second and then pivot on my right toepick while I throw my left side through and jump. :) It was a very cool feeling. And we had a good time. I was tired after, but my coach had to work pretty hard, too!

Happy skating,
Pat

Debbie S
03-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Congrats on your new job, Mrs. Redboots!

Congrats on your salchow, Pat! Jonathon Hunt sometimes uses a handheld harness when he gives lessons at my rink. Isn't it great to have a strong, male pairs skater as a coach? :)

As for me...

Working: Went to the moves session Saturday morning at flo's club/rink. Took the 15-minute lesson and flo also gave me some tips on the alt 3s - thanks, flo! I practiced for 2 sessions yesterday at my regular rink, doing mostly 3 turns - with a few other moves and a camel and sit spin thrown in for good measure :). My LFO turns are good, but not the RFOs. I did a few good ones (where I actually held the edge and didn't put my foot down until I got back to the line), but then couldn't replicate that with the others. It wasn't until I got home and tried to simulate the turns in my bathroom mirror that I think I figured out what the problem was: I tend to lean backward - out of the circle - on the right turn but I do lean in on the left. Guess that will be my focus in my practices Wednesday and Thursday.

The good news is that I did another good camel spin and I almost landed a loop - well, actually, I did land it, but on 2 feet. Not quite ready for prime time.

Idling: Frustration with alt 3s as mentioned above. I hope I figured out the problem and can correct it this week.

sk8pics
03-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Debbie S
Congrats on your salchow, Pat! Jonathon Hunt sometimes uses a handheld harness when he gives lessons at my rink. Isn't it great to have a strong, male pairs skater as a coach? :)
Thanks! Alas I couldn't duplicate it on my own today, but that's okay. Oh, and Jonathon was teaching a friend of mine using his handheld harness (looks like a fishing pole :lol: ) at the same time my coach and I were using the regular harness. I couldn't help but laugh. But yes, it is great having a strong male pairs skater as a coach, in fact all of my coaches are current or former pairs skaters. I like it because if they say they'll catch me, they will!

Good luck with your moves, Debbie! Hang in there and you'll get those alternating 3's, and you'll be a better skater for it.

Pat

mikawendy
03-08-2004, 08:03 PM
Working: Alternating three turns are coming along (not yet passing but coming along). Debbie, I feel your pain. I feel like I've been working on these for FOREVER! I know I'll have been working on them a long time if I ever dream about them!!! :D And while there's real improvement from when I started doing them, I know they're not passing standard (nor up to my coach's standard--she teaches a lot of dance and MIF students, so she's very strict about her 3 turns! I like it because I know the eventual end result will be good, but getting there is taking forever!)

Worked on loop jump for all of Saturday's FS lesson. I'm getting the takeoff right and I know I'm taking off from a BO edge (the outside edge of my takeoff/landing foot was bright pink when I took my boot off). But I chicken out and land on my right foot before the left OR I am wrapped too tightly and can't get my free leg unstuck before landing. I think I'm not getting very much height when I jump--my backward motion seems to come to a standstill when I jump and I feel like I'm jumping "into" myself instead of on the arc of the jump.

On Wednesday, I worked on a different scratch spin entry (same feet, different arms) with my skating side arm held in front of me instead of open wide--it helped me center the spin much more.

Sit spin is coming along--it's fun and when I improve it, I think it will be a LOT of fun. Right now I want to aim to get it more centered, faster, and lower. Sometimes my weight is wrong going into it and I don't get a very good spin. But when it's right, I can feel the sweet spot much better than I can in my scratch spin.

Had a breakthrough with the salchow--was able to NOT put my free foot down before taking off on the inside edge. Now if only I can make it less whirly and higher...

Idling--
Haven't been able to take edge class in weeks because I've been doing income taxes for my husband's business. Thankfully I'm done--I can't wait to take edge class soon!!!

flo
03-09-2004, 09:35 AM
Working:
Went to club Saturday and had a chance to see Debbie S. You have great positions! My friend Jonathan was really impressed with her back edges. - The rest is now practice. My practice was ok - but not in the mood for doubles. Hopefully better tonight!
Mika, if you would like to go - let me know!

Justine_R
03-09-2004, 10:57 AM
Working
My Coach has been working me at full speed these last few weeks, but its all paied of because in 45 minutes i am going to test my skills and freeskate!
Idiling
School!!!!, How boring lately als there is is test + more tests + more tests!!!Omg!!

garyc254
03-09-2004, 12:10 PM
WORKING: Front crossovers!!! :D :D :D Okay, I know I was doing these a couple of years ago, but since I torqued my knee last month, I haven't been able to bend it enough to do crossovers. So.... :D :D :D

I also snuck in a couple of gentle mohawks, but was careful not to twist the knee.

I'm still wary of back crossovers as that requires deeper knees, but maybe in a week or two.

IDLING: Not really idling, but frustrating at being injured and barely being able to skate in a straight line for the past few weeks.

Mrs Redboots
03-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Coach has now cut my Interp music for this year, so we had a listen to that. Couldn't start to choreograph it though, as didn't have any way to listen on headphones. I could have played it through several times, but, of course, the second I wanted to, someone else hogged the music, and then the coaches wanted it!

Did a bit more choreography of Robert's and my Interpretive Pairs, though, which is beginning to come together in my head now. How long it will take to get from my head to Robert's remains to be seen! And I do wish I could skate the way I think I can - I think "Oh, that would be fun to do!" but when it comes to doing it, it's impossible!

Did most of my exercises, well, bits, anyway..... and left the rink in order to catch the 9.50 train into work, which got me there at 10.55, over 30 minutes early! Tomorrow I'll catch the 10.04 - what do you suppose it will run late, or be cancelled, or something? My train this evening was cancelled, but I wasn't going to the rink so it didn't matter too much.

TashaKat
03-09-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
The title this week celebrates my new job!

Congratulations :D ..... hope the good luck rubs off ;)

Lx

batikat
03-09-2004, 05:18 PM
My lesson doesnt' realy fit this thread as I was certainly working and not idling but didn't actually do anything very well.

We were just running through my brand new Free programme to see how much music was left and to finish it off. The first couple of run throughs werent too bad but I am having problems trying to go into my salchow with any speed at all. We sorted out the ending of the programme and went over all the bits I'm having trouble with - then when I ran through it again I completely messed up a bit which I had thought was easy enough (this is a RFO spiral and then a hop around to the LBI edge ready to step forward into a RFO3). I got to the spiral after the truly terrifying LFI twizzle but think I must have been going into it with a lot more speed and not enough edge to do the hop around. There was a clash of blade on boots and I nearly fell. I restarted and I got to the same place and just collapsed on the hoppy bit and ended up sprawled on my back. Coach was standing near by but not close enough to catch me!!!:(

The next time I just bottled out of that bit. It did at least put the salchow into perspective as suddenly that didn't seem like the hardest bit anymore though I'd still like to know exactly how you manage the transition from speed to height.

I guess my problems stem from being over ambitious in my programme and trying to do a Free programme with the same sort of speed I have done dance OD's and Free dances. I really dont' want to slow it down though - I will just have to keep trying til I can do it that fast. Just hope the old gluteus maximus can stand a bit of bruising!!

Still - I guess it's not bad for someone who vowed never to leave the ice with both feet at the same time when I started.

Cinderella
03-09-2004, 08:42 PM
Wow, Anabel, your title definitely suits my performance so far this week. BTW, congrats on your new job!

Idling - Brrrr, the rink sure was cold yesterday, after spending two weeks on the white sand beaches of Mexico! I wound up having to put my Polartec vest back on, even while I was jumping. Part of the problem was my general "laziness." I just couldn't seem to get my butt in gear, and I certainly didn't take advantage of the fact that there were only two of us on the ice the whole time.

Working - It was nice to see that my time off didn't hurt any of my elements. In fact, the spins and jumps I did were very "on" and felt good.

Idling Some More - It's just that I didn't push myself to do things like flying camels or flying sits, and I let myself off without even doing one runthrough of my program. Now what am I thinking???!!! My first adult competition is in 2 weeks and I'm lollygagging around the ice.

Workaholic - Thankfully, today was my lesson and I got there extra early. My coach had me run through everything I know how to do twice -- except for camel spins, which were going a bit wonky because my skate blade suddenly would no longer grip the ice. She worked me hard, and then she had me "sit still" for about 8 minutes before doing a program runthrough. She wanted me to stiffen up a bit to simulate competition circumstances.

While it wasn't my best effort ever, I did hit several of the elements dead on and overall did not embarass myself, despite a couple of falls. That was part of the training too -- learning to get back up and carry on. She said if I had just straightened my back, I would've landed the 2toe because it was fully rotated. Dang!

Brain Idle - the only problem was that I forgot my program twice, and she said the look on my face was priceless. I sort of blathered along for one or two steps until my brain kicked back in.

Work It Baybee - So overall I was pleased and have vowed that tomorrow I will do at least two complete runthroughs of the program to atone for my previous laziness.

Gosh, it's good to be back on the ice!

vesperholly
03-09-2004, 10:27 PM
Working... axels - FINALLY! Several solid, rotated ones in lesson. Shocked my coach, which is always a good thing. :)

Idling... motivation for off-ice exercise of any kind. In my mind I know it helps but my spirit just isn't into it lately. Bad me!

Mrs Redboots
03-10-2004, 12:59 PM
Am I ever going to get used to my new schedule? It feels seriously schizophrenic at the moment - mornings are as usual, at the rink, skating lesson when scheduled, etc, and then I go off and do something very different, and when I get home, it's supper time! This is just totally strange and weird; I'm used to either working or skating but not both on the same day, and in any case finishing just after lunch!

However, at least the ice stays the same! Today I spent beginning the choreography of my new Interpretive programme - great fun - and working on the choreography of our Pairs Interp. The former is 90% acting and 10% skating, the latter about 80% skating and only 20% acting! But still fun.

In my lesson, the coach gave me a correction that utterly transformed, for the second time in a month, my changes-of-edge. So I'm like "Why didn't you tell me this before? :?: :!:" and he explains that it wouldn't have worked before, I wasn't ready for it. "You have to more-or-less build these moves from the feet upwards!" he explained. Anyway, I was very pleased. And my cross-rolls went well, and so did more-or-less everything except my backwards stroking - oh, how I hate backwards stroking - and even that is improving.

My Mohawks and inside 3s are still rather poor - the thing is, I simply can't check the rotation and still do the turn, which explains why I can do inside twizzles and double 3s, but not a simple inside 3 or Mohawk! Need to work on that.

And after my lesson, I was trying to spin - I also hate spinning, but it is nice to have one in an Interp, and there's a superb place for one in my new music - and first of all couldn't remember which foot I spun on and ended up trying to do a backspin by mistake! :oops: However, when I stepped in the right direction on the correct foot, I must have stepped into it just exactly right, because I actually spun! Wow.....:D

So all in all a good morning, except that I thought I hadn't time to change my eyes before my train was due, so decided to leave it until I got into work and, of course, the train was late so I would have had time! But if I'd taken the time, what do you reckon the train would have been totally punctual and I'd have missed it?

AshBugg44
03-10-2004, 01:34 PM
My coach fixed my axel yesterday. It was broken!

mousey
03-10-2004, 10:29 PM
working: i landed a double flip today!!
idling: i only landed one. and the winter season is over for me now.

LWalsh
03-11-2004, 08:51 AM
Working - Been doing double run throughs of my program in prep for Nationals.

Idling - Coach says if it were her, she'd do five run throughs per session 8O Gasp!

flo
03-11-2004, 09:58 AM
Idling - Went home Tuesday night after a long day looking forward to skating. After taking Clove and Coco http://www.geocities.com/cocorhu/ out (springer and pom-chi mix)they popped into bed and snoozed. They looked so comfortable, I thought I'd join them for just a minute...zzzzzzz.

Working - made it to the rink last night and had a great time. The program is moving along, and we're all looking forward to Nationals. Has anyone had any experience with Baltogs custom leotards?
thanks

icenut84
03-11-2004, 10:22 AM
I skated both today and yesterday, after having about a week off because my knee had been bothering me a bit.

Working:

Have been spending some time working on back spirals. I have to do one for my next test, and will probably do a LBO one as it's the one I've been doing longest, as I think it's my best. Coach wanted me to make sure I lower my upper body enough, and I think that aspect has definitely improved now. However, I've been practicing other ones too (partly because a LBO spiral can be a bit dangerous if there's other skaters about...) - so I've also been practicing RBO, RBI, and LBI! And I had my free leg above waist-height on all of them!!!!!! :D I checked my reflection in the glass, and my position didn't look too bad at all. My upper body needs to be a bit lower on my RBO, but they seem to be pretty good. RBI is probably the weakest - have to work on that one a bit more, to get a stronger/more secure edge. My LBI one felt great too though. 8-) I like spirals! (I also did a LFO one, and someone was like "I wish I could do that!" and said my leg was higher than waist-height on that too.)

Did a few successful salchows, and my waltz jump was fine. Only tried one or two toe loops too.

A few passable spins.

My BO3s and BI3s have been better too, and my stroking has felt very nice (and very un-toe-pushy 8-) ). I've also started doing a bit of Russian stroking. I havent' really done this before, but have read it described on the net (and about being good for power & flow) and I like it. :)

Idling:

Most of the spins travelled. :roll:

Salchow has NOT been consistent lately. Hmm. Neither's the toe loop actually. Especially on the toe loop, I do the entry and then it's almost like there's something stopping me going for it. Maybe it's technique or something feeling off, I don't know. It's annoying though when I keep not jumping.

jazzpants
03-11-2004, 03:35 PM
Idling again... I reinjured myself during my lesson this morning!!!

http://www.stupid-boy.com/smilies/kao/otn/pcrying.gif

Ironically, Bronze Moves were okay during the lesson, but afterward my coach asked me to do spins and I have a BAD tendency to sometimes push off from my toes into the entry instead of the entire blade and THAT did my leg in again!!!

Result: I'm back on no LFO3's and I'm tempted to just not come back on the ice 'til this injury is completely healed!!! Meanwhile, I'm back on Naxproxen and LOTS of ice... but ON the leg instead of under it!!! :evil:

Working
I am ordering new skating boots in light of my current injury (never mind my sciatica) and getting orthotics for the boots. I'm probably gonna spend tons of money on shoes with LOTS of cushion for a while. The flats I have will have to stay in the closet for a while 'til I'm completely healed.

dbny
03-11-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by icenut84
I've also started doing a bit of Russian stroking. I havent' really done this before, but have read it described on the net (and about being good for power & flow) and I like it. :)

Just want to give you a heads up on the shoulders, if you haven't yet read about them. You stay in F crossover position after stepping to the FI edge, and only switch when you begin the FO for the next crossover. I agree, it's fun!

Annabel Congratulations, and please tell us a little about your new job.

Jazzpants :cry: :cry: :cry: about your re-injury. What boots are you getting? Hope it helps.

Idling
Just not getting in enough skating time for myself. Tried to go to freestyle session on Monday, but got to the point where I knew I might just barely make it on time if there were no traffic foul ups (it was raining, which automatically means bad traffic to begin with), and was about to get on the entrance ramp to the BQE, which would mean all highway the rest of the way, when....PING - the darned gas light came on. End of trip :x

Working
I managed to skate a bit after teaching on Wed morning, but then a big school crowd came in and the game was over. I am finding that my F and B cross strokes are hanging in there nice and solid, and I can even throw in a B two or three to the music on the public sessions. Power pulls are slowly improving, and I'm still able to get in a few pathetic FI threes a few times a week.

sk8pics
03-12-2004, 06:29 AM
Jazzpants --:( :( about your injury! I hope you will make a speedy recovery, but don't push it!

As for me, Working: I learned a spread eagle last night! :D Okay, so it's a baby spread eagle, and my feet are only at about 140 degrees, but I can get into position while gliding and hold it and not fall over! And not freak out when it eventually turns me in a circle. I was so shocked because I never thought I could do one. My coach just said, "Oh, there's a lot of things you can do that you don't think you can!" He seems to have this in mind for my new interpretive program and the funny thing is that I'd been wishing I could do one because I thought it would fit in the program perfectly. So I'm very, very happy! But now I have to wait until Sunday evening to skate again, bummer.

Happy skating to everyone,
Pat

garyc254
03-12-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by jazzpants
...and THAT did my leg in again!!!

Result: I'm back on no LFO3's and I'm tempted to just not come back on the ice 'til this injury is completely healed!!! Meanwhile, I'm back on Naxproxen and LOTS of ice... but ON the leg instead of under it!!! :evil:

Ouch JP. :cry:

I know the feeling, unfortunately.

WORKING: At my Wednesday night practice, I squeeked in a few shallow back crossovers. :D My knee was a little sore after, but it sure felt good to do them. It's feeling a little better every week.

Not to be a namedropper, but I made a humorous error during the public session. There was a young hockey lad of around 7 practicing for his skating lesson with a coach. He was wearing a Keith "Tkuchuk" St. Louis Blues hockey jersey. As he skated by, I jokingly yelled "Hey Tkuchuk, you look so much bigger on TV". At the end of the session, I found out the lad WAS St. Louis Blues player Keith Tkuchuk's son when his dad showed up. :oops: :lol:

Mrs Redboots
03-12-2004, 12:00 PM
Oh Joanna you nit! Who thinks you were back on the ice too soon??? :roll: :roll: :oops: Hope you heal fast, and DON'T skate until you have - it's not worth it!

As for me, it's mostly Idling to report. Last night I went down to the rink for dance club, only to find, when I got there, that I was so tired that, had I skated, I'd have been a danger to myself and others. So I went sadly home again. And naturally Robert forgot to get a club signature on our Mountain Cup papers - not that it matters, really; they know us there well enough now, and we can always sign each other's (we are both on the Club committee!). I don't work on Fridays, so I was skating again this morning, and Robert was taking a little time off because he has to work tomorrow morning, and so we worked on our Pairs Interpretive. The trouble is, it really isn't working! I think we've bitten off more than we can chew, and want to bin it and do something else, but Robert wants to go on with it now we've started. We at least have steps for the first 30 seconds or so, but the snag is, we can't do them!!! At least, we can, but if any pairs skater could give us advice about how to go from a Mohawk into a pivot-spiral..... we know it can be done, but we need our coach to show us how. And I can't "tell the story" properly at the moment. Deep sigh. :( :x :frus:

And then when I came to working on my own programme, after Robert had gone, everybody else and their grandmother - actually, not their grandmother, since nobody involved was under 50 - wanted the centre circle to do their choreography on, which put me off. Oh well.

flo
03-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Mrs. Redboots,
What are you doing right before you go into the pivot spiral? Are you doing a back or a forwards spiral? You can go into one from about anything. One of my favorite ways of going into a forward inside death spiral was from a spiral sequence. My last spiral would be a back outside, then I did a back outside 3 and into a forward inside death spiral.
A very pretty way to enter is for you to skate forwards, your partner backwards. The two of you will be facing eachother and holding hands withyour arms extended. Then I would lift up my right arm, and he his left, release and I'd go into a forward inside death spiral (almost right under his lkifting arm). You two could easily do this into a forward pivot spiral.

jazzpants
03-12-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by dbny
about your re-injury. What boots are you getting? Hope it helps.I'm getting custom Harlicks with orthotics!!! I've tried their stock boots (Competitior) and their toe box around the pinky toe feels like it's scrunched in and the arches are WAAAAY too high! (I found out I have flat feet, narrow heel and "Geez, no wonder I'm pronate inwards!" Major, major $$$, but well worth it for the amount of skating I'm planning to do the next 2-3 years.

Oh, I forgot to add that I'll be trading in my black boots for PURPLE leather boots too!!! :mrgreen:

Annabel: the funny thing is that I expected my LFO3's to be bad b/c of the injury and everything was actually great then. What I'm more upset about was the spin entry, b/c if I had done the push off into the spin entry correctly (i.e. push on the entire blade instead of the toe pick), I would not have the problems I have now! (For "ask8ngcat", I could hear Mistress Coach yelling "See? Didn't I tell you NOT to push into the spin entry with your toe picks???" in my head right now!!! LOL!!!)

And in a way, my current injury is a good thing b/c it forces me to stay on the back of the blade instead of halfway in between, b/c if I go halfway in between it would HURT!!! :lol: (Jay was thinking "Hmmm?" when I told him that...followed with the :twisted: look.)

But in any case, I'm off the ice this weekend for sure and I probably will cancel next week's lesson too. :roll:

Re: Gary http://mysmilies.ipbfree.com/s/kao/otn/bloblaugh.gif

I see you finally met "Matt", huh? Who knows. You might be able to say in about 30 years from now that you met "Matt Tkuchuk" too! :lol:

Edited to add: TashaKat's Harlick boots were my inspiration for getting the purple boots!!! I was drooling over it from day one!!! :P And I think b/c of that, TashaKat has more of the honor of calling herself "Ms. Purpleboots!" than I would calling myself "Mrs. Purpleboots" :-P (Maybe "Mrs. Formerly Blackboots?") :lol:

Mrs Redboots
03-12-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by flo
Mrs. Redboots,
What are you doing right before you go into the pivot spiral? Are you doing a back or a forwards spiral? You can go into one from about anything. One of my favorite ways of going into a forward inside death spiral was from a spiral sequence. My last spiral would be a back outside, then I did a back outside 3 and into a forward inside death spiral. At the moment, I'm doing a back spiral, although if we can't get it working properly, this may change! We are trying to go into it from a Mohawk in Reverse Kilian hold, so we are then both going backwards, but somehow we then find it difficult for himself to get far enough behind me....

flo
03-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Mrs. Redboots,
I would suggest that when you are ready to set up the pivot, you open up your dance hold so Robert can get behind you. It can look very pretty if you can gently slide apart from eachother, but sill keep holding hands with your right, and his left (and then he will change to his right). Both of you will need to keep your circle large enough so you don't swing around or past him when he begins his pivot. The man sets the edge as you get into your position. Then his circle becomes smaller, and he toes in for the pivot. I'm not sure where your mohawk is - if you are both going backwards (?), you don't need to turn around. If you are both going forwards, do the same thing - and also use the mohawk to get him apart from you.
Play with it, and see what works for you!

batikat
03-12-2004, 05:01 PM
working

At jumps class today my salchow was actually working well for a change - still needs a lot more speed to go in my programme though.

Afterwards we began the choreography for a small group artistic which was fun. We have an adult pair in our group and at one point the lady of this pair suggested that I should try the move where the man bends down and reaches through his legs for the lady who goes through his legs forward (sort of in a teapot type position) and then is pulled up to standing facing him. I thought she was joking but they persuaded me to try it. The first go I landed flat on the ice. The second go I got the feel of it more and then we went over the hand holds again and on the third go I got it just fine - it was great!:D If only I could find a man to do pairs with properly - though I'd have to lose a fair amount of weight before I could get any man to lift me I fear!!

Idling

Loop - still eludes me
Flip - coming along but cant' land it except on two feet
Lutz - another jump invented by some seriously twisted personality - though my daughter loves this jump - it feels terribly awkward to me.
sit spin - where did this go? - I used to have one - not today....

TashaKat
03-12-2004, 06:03 PM
Oh, I forgot to add that I'll be trading in my black boots for PURPLE leather boots too!!! :mrgreen:Edited to add: TashaKat's Harlick boots were my inspiration for getting the purple boots!!! I was drooling over it from day one!!! :P And I think b/c of that, TashaKat has more of the honor of calling herself "Ms. Purpleboots!" than I would calling myself "Mrs. Purpleboots" :-P (Maybe "Mrs. Formerly Blackboots?") :lol:

LOL .... it's ok, as I don't skate much at present I'll let you have that honour!

http://pictures.friendsreunited.co.uk/thumbnails/14720015_mini.jpg

luna_skater
03-12-2004, 07:24 PM
Working: To my delight, all of my dances, today! It was possibly my last lesson before test day (I MAY have one more on Monday) and I feel quite good about all three dances (Paso, Starlight, and Viennese). My coach thinks they will be fine, and I feel comfortable with all of them. I've worked VERY hard on them for the past couple weeks, and today they sort of all came together.

Idling: (1) My confidence, and (2) my brackets. I'm a bit nervous about the dances because I REALLY want to pass the two sr. silvers so I can skate the Viennese. I just have to convince myself to take each dance one at a time, but its weighing on my mind nonetheless. I'm a bit frustrated with my brackets, as well. I am sure they will pass (Sr. Bronze Skills), but I want each one to be perfect!! LOL.

Mrs Redboots
03-13-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by batikat
working Afterwards we began the choreography for a small group artistic which was fun.Is this just for Bracknell, or will you be doing it at Solihull as well? We have an adult pair in our group and at one point the lady of this pair suggested that I should try the move where the man bends down and reaches through his legs for the lady who goes through his legs forward (sort of in a teapot type position) and then is pulled up to standing facing him. I thought she was joking but they persuaded me to try it. The first go I landed flat on the ice. The second go I got the feel of it more and then we went over the hand holds again and on the third go I got it just fine - it was great!:D If only I could find a man to do pairs with properly - though I'd have to lose a fair amount of weight before I could get any man to lift me I fear!!Not as much as I should have to! Which is almost a good reason for not, in my opinion. I don't think Robert and I could do the move you describe - I can't get down low enough in the teapot and might easily hit him in an Awkward Place with my head.... I want to be able to do the move where he holds me as I go down in a teapot in front of him, and then I come up again, but thus far we haven't managed.

In the meantime, I have found the CD which has the song we liked on it, and have sent off to Amazon for it, so we may yet decide to abandon our waltzing cats in favour of it.

jazzpants
03-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by TashaKat
LOL .... it's ok, as I don't skate much at present I'll let you have that honour!

http://pictures.friendsreunited.co.uk/thumbnails/14720015_mini.jpg Thank you!!! :mrgreen: And aren't those the most beautiful boots??? http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/chika/chirolp_lovely.gif :mrgreen: :lol:

Does Harlick provide you with the purple laces as well or did you get them somewhere else? (I prefer matching ones!) ;)

icenut84
03-13-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by dbny
Just want to give you a heads up on the shoulders, if you haven't yet read about them. You stay in F crossover position after stepping to the FI edge, and only switch when you begin the FO for the next crossover. I agree, it's fun!

Thanks for the tip :)

TashaKat
03-13-2004, 03:30 PM
Thank you!!! :mrgreen: And aren't those the most beautiful boots??? http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/chika/chirolp_lovely.gif :mrgreen: :lol:

Does Harlick provide you with the purple laces as well or did you get them somewhere else? (I prefer matching ones!) ;)

Hi, yes they're gorgeous aren't they :D

Harlick DID provide the purple laces and spares AND matching pigment for a small charge! Don't you just LOVE Harlick? :D

AstarZ41
03-13-2004, 05:54 PM
Idling:
Well, first of all I just found out that the mandatory rehearsals for our ice show are on my last day of finals, and the show itself is on the day of my ACTs.... :x I'll have to ask someone about the time of the show because if it starts before 12:30 I'm screwed.

My new boots still haven't come in so I had to start lessons with a new coach in my old skates which are getting seriously dull. Didn't help to make a good impression when I kept skidding on 3 turns... I switched from our Adults class to the Freestyle class, which is not divided by freestyle levels. Our rink is small so there's like 4-5 kids in that class all doing singles. The coach is much more demanding though, and he was having us run from one thing to another. It was difficult because I haven't done any of those patterns of moves before. Plus I've never learned some of the turns like brakets and counters. And I have zero backspin... All in all I didn't really think I fit into this class any more than the Adults class. I think after this session I will start looking into private lessons...

Working: Well my spins were better today, I could stay on the right part of the blade for 6-7 revs and it felt smoother. Also, the coach has us doing connecting steps into every element so I think that will really improve my skating. Actually the whole class should do me good because I will have to learn many things that I haven't done before. My loop was very close to landed today.

AuroraBorealis
03-14-2004, 01:00 PM
I forgot to post earlier last week... :oops:

Had a good practice, although I struggled with flying spins. Managed to pull off loop-loop-loop on the second attempt, but they didn't look too pretty. Recently I've been having problems with toe-jumps, somehow I'm sliding my toe pick on the ice instead of placing it in the ice. Landed an amazig flip though, several coaches saw it and they all loved it. So did I. :)