View Full Version : Parabolic Blades

p_hardt
03-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Does anyone have any opinions/information on parabolic ice skate blades? I am considering purchasing some and I am looking for some feedback from anyone who might have some experience/knowledge about them. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Isk8NYC
03-07-2004, 09:26 AM
I changed blades from very old Gold Seals to Pattern 99's and then to new Gold Seals within a year. The new Gold Seals are parabolic but frankly, they feel just like my old Gold Seals. (None of the blades were K-picks.)

I may have just missed the change because of my Pattern 99 "stopover." Or (here's the jaded NY perspective) perhaps the manufacturer found a way to reduce the amount of metal they use in each blade and is putting a "spin" on the situation.

Anybody else have an opinion either way?

dbny
03-07-2004, 05:06 PM
Are you sure you got the parabolic Gold Seals? They still sell the non parabolics, and I think you would have to specifically order the parabolics.

dooobedooo
03-08-2004, 03:53 AM
I'm bemused by these descriptions.

I thought Gold Seals had always been parabolic, but in a convex shape (fatter at the waist, narrower at the ends).

The new style of parabolic is in a concave shape (slimmer at the waist, wider at the ends).

Can anybody explain?

Thanks.

Isk8NYC
03-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by dbny
Are you sure you got the parabolic Gold Seals? They still sell the non parabolics, and I think you would have to specifically order the parabolics.

You make a good point -- I didn't request them specifically. I don't have the original box from my new blades because I had them mounted right away. They are much more tapered than old ones, but I still like them!

Well, who knows for certain that they have and are using parabolics? Anybody?

icekat
03-11-2004, 02:58 PM
If the Gold Seals were parabolic, it would say so on the blade.

p_hardt
03-11-2004, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the information.
I decided to go and stick with the regular style of blades. I will wait and see what happens with the parabolic blades. Maybe after I hear more about them, then I will try them out in the future.

InlineUnited
03-12-2004, 11:05 AM
I honestly don't think the parabolic blades will make a huge difference for freestyle/freeskate. Where the huge difference in parabolic blades lies, is in dance. The new parabolic MK Dance blades are slimmer in the middle and wider at the ends. What this does is it shifts your weight more towards the middle of the blade, thus making your glide better and putting your weight in a better place for deep edges. I'm going to be giving these blades a whirl myself next week when my new boots/blades come in so I'll give a shout back when I've tried em out. Other than that, it's pretty much basic physics, your weight will go to wherever there is the least amount of resistance, and with the parabolic design, that place of least resistance will be closer to the middle of the blade. (Obviously you will rarely skate directly in the middle of the blade but the parabolic design helps you stay off your toes/heels and more onto the ball/mid back of your foot)

Hope this gives a clearer description of the parabolic technology as I've looked into it pretty heavily myself before making any purchasing decisions.

p_hardt
03-15-2004, 07:19 PM
Thank you for all the information. I am very excited to see what you think about the parabolic blades as I am an edge lover!!!

Do you do any jumps or spins? If you do, could you give me your impressions of any difference in doing jumps or spins. I don't do any BIG jumps, only singles but I love to try to make them "look" like I "used" to be able to do doubles -I am old ;)- but I LOVE to do spins!!
Also, if you could give any impressions on turns and transitions while playing with the edges, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much.