View Full Version : Sequences question :?:

singerskates
07-18-2002, 09:52 PM
In my freeskate I have these sequences of steps in to jumps/combination jumps.

Sequence 1:From LF Lung. RFImo onto LBI, RBO,LFO, quick slight touch on RBO to LBO (sort of a quick right back crosscut), RBO, LFO, quick slight touch on RBO to LBO, RBO, LFO, RFImo to do salchow jump.

Sequence 2 :Exit sitspin onto RBO to RBx to LBI3 onto LFO to RFImo onto LBI3 onto LFO to do waltz/loop combo jump into back spin (CCW).

What level is this? I've been competing in pre-prelim but this is a new program and I'm thinking that I'll be taking my prelim (US adult bronze) test this year before competing. These steps happen really fast because the music calls for fast steps like these. What is the difficulty level in these sequences :?:

The music I'm using with this is Samba Pa Ti.

singerskates
07-18-2002, 10:28 PM
OH, I should list a list of what some of the items are.

LF = left forward
RFI = right forward inside edge
mo = mohawk
(RFImo should really say, RFImo op)
op = open
LBI = left back inside edge
RBO = right back outside edge
LFO = left forward outside edge
RBx = right back crosscut
LBI3 = left back inside edged three turn

Hope this helps

lizzz
07-18-2002, 11:44 PM
SS sounds like fun!
I'd just ask your coach when he/she thinks you are ready to take your prelim freeskate test. Even though you are an adult, the test is the same. And if they are watching your program they know where you fit in the scheme of things. That's what we pay them for :)

serpentine
07-19-2002, 09:14 AM
I think that the difficulty level is sufficient for the preliminary level freeskate test, and if you have to skate the steps fast to be in time to the music, that's good too. just be careful that in trying to skate them quickly that you do not let your steps become sloppy with undiscernable edges.

in general, a couple things about footwork to remember:

demonstrate use (and control) of all edges,
use as many types of turns as you can handle and that are appropriate for your level (ie, 3's and mohawks in both directions are satisfactory for prelim, but from sr bronze or jr silver and up brackets (fwd, bkwd), rockers, counters, and choctaws should be included);
use the three levels of space (high, med, low);
maintain flow and speed (or even better, demonstrate intentional modulations in footwork speed which are called for by the character of the program);
make sure the ftwk and music highlight one another.

lots of luck!

rinsk
07-21-2002, 06:25 PM
The steps look appropriate for a prelim. freestyle program. The only thing that might get you in trouble is if you skate them sloppily or a picky judge might complain that all the turns are in the ccw direction (I don't think it's something a prelim solo can fail for though).

Look over the SC prelim fs solo requirements:

2 spins (minimum 2 rotations)
3 1 rotation jumps

Then they judge you on:
Use of ice
Sureness of skating (not including jumps and spins)
Use of music
Speed
Carriage/line/form
Program composition
(you need satisfactory in 4/6 including sureness of skating)

There are no real footwork requirements (but some basic turns and what-not are expected).

arena_gal
07-21-2002, 09:57 PM
For good marks, they're looking for steps into at least one of the jumps. You've got that. I would recommend adding more mowhawks, other than RFImo to show balance of both sides. You've passed prelim skills?

Footwork isn't a requirement at all. "Field moves are encouraged"