View Full Version : Flying camel

tidesong
03-03-2004, 08:47 PM
Ok for the flying camel... I have been having problems straightening my skating leg when i land on it. Whenever i try to straighten it, my weight shifts and i either move to far forwards/backwards/ to the side(resulting in a deeper edge) and lose balance. Usually i try and compensate for it and end up moving in another direction. Any tips for this?

skatingatty
03-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Have you consulted your coach? It's hard to give advice when we can't see you do it. Maybe you can try readjusting your arm positions. My forward camel was always unsteady til recently, when my coach told me to just lift my right arm farther away from the side of my body. It's made a big difference in the security of the spin. Good luck!

vesperholly
03-04-2004, 03:27 PM
It sounds to me like you aren't getting enough rotation in the jump. You're having trouble rising out of a bent knee because your free leg and arms aren't in the position they should be - they're trying to catch up. I find in my flying camel that if I take the entry too slow, I get such a deep knee bend on the spin and can't control it.

You need to really commit to that FO edge before the jump and hook it nice and deep so you can whip the jump around. Look at your tracings, there should be 1 to 1.5 of a rotation between take-off and landing. Also, don't drop your free hip (left if CCW) down too much, that can really screw up your balance.

sk8er1964
03-04-2004, 04:17 PM
Usually when I have that problem it is because I am popping up too fast, instead of rising evenly from the bent knee. Because of that, I can't find the sweet spot. When I slow it down, the sweet spot comes naturally. Good luck! :)

tidesong
03-05-2004, 04:30 AM
Yeah i haved asked my coach, and its usually my take off that does it. but even at my best, the leg is still not straight so i was wondering if i could get any thing here :) So well looks like more specifically it could be the take off timing. I never thought of it that way... interesting :) I'll try and see if concentrating on timing itself might help. Thanks :)