View Full Version : Anyone familiar with "National Showcase"?

flo
03-02-2004, 09:51 AM
Hi,
I just received a letter inviting me to compete in the National Showcase Competition this August in Texas. Is anyone here familiar with the event? I had a couple of questions.
The announcement said that to qualify you must place in an artistic, interpretive or theatrical event the previous year, and that the "National Showcase" is on the USFSA Championship list. What's the USFSA Championship list?
I probably qualified by winning an interpretive event, but there's not a specific interpretive event to enter, but an "Adult showcase".
Has anyone been and if so, is this event comparable to interpretive? If they are inviting adults, why are the adult classifications not used?
Thanks

skaternum
03-02-2004, 04:55 PM
This sounds odd. I'm the Skeptical Skaternum.

RNsk8r
03-02-2004, 07:20 PM
I found this on the USFSA website when I was browsing around this weekend. I thought you might find it helpful.
http://www.usfsa.org/event_story.asp?id=23533

Sounds like it could be interesting.

skaternum
03-02-2004, 07:35 PM
Okay, so it's a real event. But what's the "USFSA Championship List" stuff about? Can they not find an articulate, accurate way to indicate eligibility? :)

flo
03-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Hi,
Thanks. Here's what I found in the article:
"Singles entrants for the coming competition must qualify by earning a top four competition placement in an ISU-member competition theatrical event."
It's great that they want to include adults, but I just find it frustrating that the Adult classifications of the events and qualifications are not used. It does not make sense to qualify in an event (adult Interpretive) not in the competition.

PattyP
03-03-2004, 06:14 PM
I didn't get an invite :( and I won my interp event last year....

In the article, they mention the Los Angeles FSC competition for what this is based on. I participated in that a couple of years ago. They called it "LA Showcase for skaters". How it worked was that they had many events based on age, level and type of program. I actually skated two programs. One was comedy (a mix of kids and adults) and the other was Adult Character. They took the winners of all these events and qualified them for the main event or final round. I won both so I skated in the "final round" twice. There must have been at least 30 people skating the final, all levels, all ages. I had to follow a Sr. level skater! I must have looked like a slug after her. They only gave placings for the top 5, the rest of us had no idea where we placed.

The event was a lot of fun as we all skated with spotlights only which is quite an experience if you've never done it. There was no warm up for the final round, we just skated behind some panels they put up that hid about 1/5 of the rink a few minutes before our event.

I wonder if this will have a similar format.

flo
03-05-2004, 08:46 AM
Thanks Patty. I think the "year" they use is from June to June - so that's probably why they missed you. I sent an e-mail off to the event chairs, so I'll let you know what I hear.

alexeiluvr
03-05-2004, 11:05 AM
My friend was the Senior Champion last year!!!