View Full Version : When to upgrade blades?

AstarZ41
03-01-2004, 01:10 PM
I have Riedells 292s and Wilson Excell blades (they came with them) I've had these skates for about a year and a half and I'm working on toes, sals, loops and 1 foot spins. I'm having some trouble with my spins so I was thinking maybe better blades will make a difference. I plan on switching to Coronation Aces eventually since those blades have a great reputation, but I'm not sure when to do it. Am I up to their level by now? And also I know I will have to switch boots eventually also, but I don't think my 292s are breaking down yet. I'm a pretty light skater..but still I don't know if I need more support or no. Another thing, if I switch my blades first(I might not have the $$ soon enough to get both boots and blades) and get Aces put on my 292s, would they still fit if I got new boots later (maybe a different brand)?

Btw, are there any other good freestyle blades that are comparable to Cor. Aces in quality/price? Maybe there is a good blade for a lesser price? :)

pennybeagle
03-01-2004, 03:53 PM
My two cents:

If you are having trouble with spins, new blades may or may not help. A coach will be able to give you better advice as to whether or not it is an equipment problem or a technique problem. Any time you switch to a new blade (especially with a new rocker radius), you may lose your spins altogether for some time.

If you change boots (especially to another brand), chances are you will need a new blade. Some boots (such as Jacksons) are made with higher heels than Reidells, and therefore will require a shorter blade. In my experience, Reidell boots are on the long side--when I switched from a Reidell Gold Star to a Jackson Elite, I went down from a 9 3/4" blade to a 9 1/4" blade. In other words, don't assume that you can keep the same blade when you switch boots.

Many people skate on a Coronation Ace, although I have heard a few people say that they liked MK Professionals better. They are similar in terms of cost. I have not tried Professionals, so I can't say one way or the other. I skated in Aces for about 1.5 years before switching to Pattern 99s. Prior to Coronation Aces, I was skating on MK single star blades. I can't say that I particularly liked the Aces, although I can't say that I particularly disliked them, either.

OK, that was probably 3 cents...

iceskaterdawn
03-01-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by pennybeagle

Many people skate on a Coronation Ace, although I have heard a few people say that they liked MK Professionals better. They are similar in terms of cost. I have not tried Professionals, so I can't say one way or the other.

For whatever it is worth, I skate in MK Professionals. I really like them. I am an adult bronze skater and have my single jumps through the lutz.

AnnM
03-01-2004, 05:52 PM
FWIW, I was never able to center my spins while I had Wilson Excels. When I upgraded boots I changed blades as wel and got MK Professionals. The difference in my spins was immediate and dramatic.

dbny
03-01-2004, 07:08 PM
Both MK Pros and Coronation Aces are a much better quality than the Excels and will hold a sharpening longer and last longer altogether.

Zoomana
03-01-2004, 07:47 PM
I had Reidell Bronze Stars with Fiesta blades for a year and a half until I was learning one-foot spins. They were then not really useful at that point as I couldn't spin on one foot to save my life. I thought it was the skater wearing them at the time, but I wore them recently at an outdoor flood rink (didn't want to ruin my current really expensive skates) and I couldn't spin worth anything on them! No discernable rocker!

I upgraded to Reidell Silver Stars with Coronation Ace blades. I kept the blades even when I upgraded to Gold Stars (as long as you don't change boot size/brand, the blade size is the same). The Silver Stars were no longer supporting me on the harder jumps (flip, lutz) and were breaking down considerably and causing tendonitis in my landing foot.

After two pairs of Coronation Aces (which I did love, they made me feel fairly balanced and were reasonable price-wise), I decided to go for a change, something with a different rockers and a bigger toepick. I got Professionals. Maybe a coincidence but--voila--after a few months I got a one-foot backspin and back sit after seven years of agonizing trying!

Not sure why, but why ask why. All I can say is that every upgrade was worth the money ten times over. But it is a big adjustment. I smashed into a wall when I got my second pair of skates because the rocker was so much more...rocky. The Professionals are definitely different than the Aces, the toe pick and rocker feel much more pronounced. My level is singles jumps up through lutz and all the spins, including combos (although my layback is lame!). I'm a pretty "heavy" skater at 135 and 5'8" and I tend to land hard at times.

BTW, my Silver Stars are now leading a happy life attached to a pair of quad roller skate plates. They skate every other Saturday on a wooden floor and are glad to be still loved and useful!

fadedstardust
03-01-2004, 10:36 PM
Well, if your blades came attached to your boots, there's a chance you might not be able to take them off...check first to make sure you can attach a different blade to that boot. If you are doing your single jumps, you should buy a boot that comes separate from the blades now anyway, boots that come as sets are beginner boots and they don't provide enough support for jumps im general.

I've skated in Professionals for years and I don't like them, but that may be because my technique finally outgrew them. I remember a time when I USED to like them so they can't be all bad, and I'd recommend them over Coronation anyway because coronation has a a small rocker - 8 1/2, whereas Professional has a 7 in one, and since upper level blades such as Pattern 99 and Gold Seal have an 8 inch rocker, it'll be less of an adjustement when you switch to those to be used to a smaller rocker than to a bigger one. If you switch to a bigger rocker after being used to a small one, you might end up curving a lot in 3 turns and jumps in general because you're not used the the bigger circle your blade's tracing. That's just my opinion, though, and it's by no means a professional one. Good luck.

-FadedStardust

Elsy2
03-02-2004, 08:30 AM
It's the Coronation Comet that has the 8 1/2' rocker. The Coronation Ace and MK Professional are both 7' rockers.

I switched from an inexpensive fifty dollar Wilson blade to Coronation Ace somewhere around a year or two after starting skating.
You couldn't wipe the smile off my face! The difference was huge, turns were effortless, and I finally learned to spin after struggling forever. The pick was larger and toe jumps more secure.

So I say go for it!

skaternum
03-02-2004, 08:50 AM
I agree that it's probably time for you to switch blades. The MK Professional is a good low to intermediate blade.

AstarZ41
03-02-2004, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the advice!

Well Riedell 292s are Gold Medallions so they're meant to be used through Freestyle 2. And the blades are screwed on so they can be taken off. If I'm learning the loop jump, does that mean I'm past freestyle 2? I think they provide enough suport as of right now (I'm 100 lbs so I skate pretty lightly) but I yeah I think I need to start looking into new boots also. My Riedells fit me pretty good, so I would probably buy this brand again. Would Gold or Silver Stars be good for the next year and a half/two years? Could they last longer?

And also, I have an ice show on June 12th. Should I try to get new boots and blades before that leaving some time to break them in, or should I wait till after the show? I'm debating on whether to break the news to my parents about getting new skates now or later. My strategy is to tell them I won't really go anywhere for spring break so that I can spend that money on new skates (since there are no good vacation possibilities for this year anyways) ;)

jazzpants
03-02-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by AstarZ41
Thanks for the advice!

Well Riedell 292s are Gold Medallions so they're meant to be used through Freestyle 2. And the blades are screwed on so they can be taken off. If I'm learning the loop jump, does that mean I'm past freestyle 2? I think they provide enough suport as of right now (I'm 100 lbs so I skate pretty lightly) but I yeah I think I need to start looking into new boots also. My Riedells fit me pretty good, so I would probably buy this brand again. Would Gold or Silver Stars be good for the next year and a half/two years? Could they last longer?

And also, I have an ice show on June 12th. Should I try to get new boots and blades before that leaving some time to break them in, or should I wait till after the show? I'm debating on whether to break the news to my parents about getting new skates now or later. My strategy is to tell them I won't really go anywhere for spring break so that I can spend that money on new skates (since there are no good vacation possibilities for this year anyways) ;) I upgraded to MK Pro at the advice of my skate pro when I told him that I'm learning the loop. Of course, at the time I was upgrading the boot anyway (to a Riedell Bronze Star), but the blade was also critical to the upgrade. I can't say that it also helped me to get a loop either. (I don't have a consistent loop to date.) :P

It took me a month to get new boots and 1.5-2 months to break in your new boots. But if I were you, I go talk to the coach! That's what s/he there for.

Good luck!

Chico
03-02-2004, 10:07 PM
I have Gold Stars and love them. I was told, coach, that you can never have too good of a blade. Unlike boots, that can be. I was horrified at the price at the time, but haven't regretted it since skating in them.

Chico

fadedstardust
03-03-2004, 01:52 AM
Oops, thank you for correcting me on rocker size, Elsy2. I got confused. Then I would say either the Coronation Ace or MK Pro would be good, and I'd try both Silver and Gold stars on with someone who's really good at fitting figure skates, if you're very light you might not be able to break the Gold stars in and you might injure yourself. I cannot remember what I started out with, I now have Riedell custom so all I can tell you is that unlike most skaters, I love Riedell boots in general. Obviously though, I believe Gold Stars would last you longer in the end, considering they are stronger.

If you have a show on June 12th, anytime between now and beginning of April would be a good time to acquire the new stuff, sooner the better. You should just skate around in new boots for a few hours without doing any jumps or spins in them so they break in properly, so factor that in too. Good luck!!

-FadedStardust

AstarZ41
03-03-2004, 09:34 PM
YES!! My parents said ok!!! Whew, I was so nervous. I'll get the new boots and blades under the conditions that I get a good job this summer and raise my math grade. And also they want me to try and sell my current skates after I get the new ones. Is it possible to sell used gold medallions in pretty good condition (a little scratched on the toes but not broken down)? Maybe someone who's looking for beginner skates at a good price would buy them. 8-)

Thanks for all your advice! I will go to the skate shop hopefully this weekend and try on some skates. Everyone at my rink recommends the guy that works there for everything skates related and he did a good job fitting my current skates. Omg, I'm so excited!! :D

icedancer2
03-03-2004, 09:38 PM
That is great!!

Selling skates is not too hard, especially if they are in good condition. Don't expect to get too much for them, though!!

Sometimes things like that will sell on ebay...

Good luck with your new skates!!

(I myself always like the Coronation Ace -- great blade!!)

skatepixie
03-04-2004, 01:46 PM
I have gold medallion and excell. Those skates are nasty! You are deffinatly make the right choice to upgrade. I have to pay for my own skates. (My parents pay my lesson and freestyle...plus clothes and stuff...so I dont complain about paying for my own skates...even if getting the bill in the mail is a little shocking.) I currently have custom boots on order at Harlick...with coro ace to fit. 27 more days til theyre ready...lol

AstarZ41
03-04-2004, 03:54 PM
Well, I actually really liked my gold medallions, especially the boots. They were great skates for that level but now I'm starting to outskate them. I've had them for about a year and a half and they're still not even starting to break down. I know though that a lot of skaters don't like Riedells of any kind because they're so narrow, but they fit me just fine.

AstarZ41
03-06-2004, 11:46 AM
I ordered my skates! The guy at the pro shop was really surprised to see the condition my skates are in. He was like "I remember I sold these to you last November and they still look like new! You gotta skate harder!" :lol: So after making sure my foot hasn't grown any he said that seeing how my Gold Medallions aren't even starting to break down yet, I will never be able to break in Silver or Gold stars. So he ordered Bronze stars which will be plenty stiff for me. And I'm getting Coronation Aces put on on those! He also said that he can sell my current skates and I'll get $80-90 off of that. I'll probably pick them up next Saturday, maybe even sooner!

Elsy2
03-06-2004, 03:48 PM
I think you made some good choices. You must be very excited! Let us know how it goes when you get them.

dbny
03-06-2004, 04:30 PM
Congratulations! ITA with Elsy2, good choices.

Isk8NYC
03-07-2004, 09:20 AM
You can also put a note up at the rink during the Club session.

Ebay is a good place to check out.

On the Internet, there's a website called www.iceskatingworld.com that has free classified ads. I've sold a few pairs of the kids skates through them.

Make sure to get a picture and ask about age, condition, etc. if you're buying by internet or mail.

I know, this really belongs on the For Sale category, but it was relevant to the topic.