View Full Version : Sit change sit.....?

singerskates
02-29-2004, 01:04 AM
I just learned sit change sit on Friday from my coach. I just don't get how to get more speed on the back sit after the switch. I can do 3 to 4 revs on the the forward sit but when I change to backsit, I slow down to a halt only getting one rotation before coming out of it. How on earth do you get the momentum going on the back sit?

Brigitte

Justine_R
02-29-2004, 09:19 AM
Well first when you are going in to a regular sit spin you need quite a bit of speed.
Once you have done your sit quickly (keeping in the sit postion) change feet but don't lean forward because it will cause you to go on to your toepicks and slow you down.
Make sure you sit upright and keep in the same postion that you were in on a regular sit.

Hope this helps:D

StarshineXavier
02-29-2004, 10:19 AM
When changing from the front sit to back sit, you have to make sure that you're stepping beside the spinning foot, or just slightly behind, because that will give you the best foot position possible. Assuming you spin counterslockwise, once your right foot is placed, you need to give a nice big "C" push with your left foot to give added momentum in the spin. Maintaining a strong body position will also help a lot. Happy Spinning!

Isk8NYC
03-02-2004, 11:22 AM
I agree with the posts about keeping the feet close and using a power push (The "Big C" - I like that!) You should also be using your arms and shoulders to change feet in a spin.

Assuming your forward sit is on your left foot/counterclockwise, try this:

Bring your left arm in front of your chest and your right arm behind your back. Your upper body will be slightly turned to the right.

Bring feet close together and change feet quickly.

As you draw the Big C, snap your arms around to the proper position quickly. It takes some practice, but using the arms really adds power to the change.

Make sure you tuck back into a sit position, balancing on the "swing spot" behind the toe pick. If you use the heel of your blade or the toe pick, you'll grind to a halt quickly.

Obviously, reverse my directions if you spin in the opposite direction.

AshBugg44
03-02-2004, 01:49 PM
I hate sit change sits. I suck at them. I just suck at spins in general! lol

tidesong
03-03-2004, 01:08 AM
I like the sit change sit when i get it right... I have to remember to keep my back up when i change over because i tend to lean over and then consequently lose my balance. (however... i do get on the toe pick... to keep it on the same center... just not to stay too long on it so you slow down ... hmmm did that make sense? ) And I also do the push in a circle thing to get the speed for the back sit part.

Justine_R
03-03-2004, 06:35 AM
That is my problem too Tidesong!

NoVa Sk8r
03-03-2004, 09:50 AM
A key to the change is to step pigeon-toed into the ice with your right foot, and think "pivot out" with the left skate.

What has really helped me with the sit-change-sit is practicing a scratch spin into the back sit. That way, you can concentrate fully on the change without worrying about getting out of the forward sit.

Also, on a tangential note, the transition for the sit-change-sit is very similar in mechanics to the camel-change-camel.

Good luck!