View Full Version : arch/heel pain?

Carleenp
02-28-2004, 10:46 PM
I am a fairly new skater (about to start adult level 4 of learn to skate and am addicted) and was practicing edges today and my arches started to hurt some. Later, I found that my right heel hurt, on the inside close to the arch. Should I be concerned? Anything I can do in terms of prevention? The last thing I want is some kind of injury from repetetive stress if I can avoid it! I am doing the rest and ice thing, but want to know about prevention or possible causes.

Of course, I also fell practicing my two foot spin and bruised my rear, but that is something I can live with! I'm getting used to it! :P

Justine_R
02-29-2004, 09:24 AM
Maybe consider getting some hell/arch supports?
There was a thread for this but I can't find it.

Go to www.footsmart.com (http://www.footsmart.com) they range from about $50-$100 but they really help.

Mel On Ice
02-29-2004, 09:34 AM
I have arch pain always, but my feet are flat as pancakes. I learn to live with it, and orthodics help.

sk8er1964
02-29-2004, 04:59 PM
Sometimes tying your skates too tight can cause foot pain. Do you have your own skates and were they properly fit? If not, that might be something to look in to. Good luck!

icenut84
03-01-2004, 09:52 AM
Make sure your feet are warmed up properly before putting on your skates/skating. I used to skate in a pretty cold rink and my arches tended to hurt near the beginning of skating (especially when doing backward crossovers). I started warming my feet before putting my boots on, and massaging my feet/ankles, and it definitely made a difference. I still do that now every time I skate.

Carleenp
03-01-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by sk8er1964
Sometimes tying your skates too tight can cause foot pain. Do you have your own skates and were they properly fit? If not, that might be something to look in to. Good luck!

I have my own skates (lower end Jacksons) and I think fit is OK. I suspect I need more arch support. I have very high arches.

garyc254
03-01-2004, 11:03 AM
Also work on stretching your achilles tendon. It directly affects the plantar tendon that runs from your heel to the ball of your feet.

flippet
03-01-2004, 06:07 PM
I agree with the stretching advice, and also the tying advice.

A good sole-of-foot stretching/strengthening exercise is to roll your foot over a small ball--anything from a vending-machine bouncy ball to a golf ball or a tennis ball. That's especially helpful after skating when it's all tight and painful. ;)

As for tying, if you've tied the laces too tight over the arch of the foot, that can cause cramping. What you want to do is snug the laces up at the toe (as much as the toe box will let you, which won't be much), just sort of let them lie over the mid-foot (not tight but not loose), and then yank them pretty tight at the bend of the ankle. Let them get just slightly looser as you go up the hooks, so that you can get two fingers in at the top of the boot (to allow for good knee bend and to avoid rubbing).

If that's not the case, it's possible that you're just a bit achey from using them so much--edges can give that area a workout. I'm not sure about the 'heel' pain...it really depends on exactly where it is, and what kind of pain it is--I don't know if it's muscle pain associated with the arch, or if you're getting rubbing, or if your skate might be slightly too narrow or wide at that point. Could be a variety of things. Try the ball and tying and warming tricks, and massage your foot out well before and after skating, and see if that takes care of the problem first.

wannask8
03-01-2004, 09:42 PM
I developed arch and heel pain about a year ago and it was diagnosed as plantar fasciitis. The podiatrist recommended a number of stretches, including that common runner’s stretch where you stand about a foot from a wall with your hands on the wall, bend one knee and extend the other leg behind your with the heel on the floor to feel the stretch along the back of the extended leg; he also had me sitting up in bed before getting up in the a.m. with my legs straight in front of me and pulling my feet toward me with a towel to warm up. Although I’m sure it didn’t hurt, I didn’t feel that the stretching really did much for me. What really relieved it in the end was paying attention to arch support in my street shoes (actually, the best my feet felt at the time was when I was in my nicely supportive skates!) and wearing an over-the-counter orthotic where it was inadequate. Dr. Scholl’s gel heel pads were also very helpful in getting me through the really painful part.

Good luck, and feel better.

--wannask8