View Full Version : Moral issues regarding coaches and pupils

dooobedooo
02-27-2004, 08:10 PM
There is a long thread elsewhere regarding a 60-ish coach and his indecent proposal to a 17-year-old male pupil. There is a pending court action against the coach, which if he is found guilty, could lead to a prison sentence and/or being forbidden to work with children.

I have known heterosexual involvements occur between coaches and their younger pupils, and I wonder what people regard as an appropriate dividing line between what is - and is not - acceptable.

For doctors, there is a saying: "You can make a mistress of your patient, but not a patient of your mistress": ie. ANY sexual liaison arising from doctor/patient acquaintance is unacceptable, and may get the doctor banned from practising.

But in universities, liaisons between students of 18-plus and their much older lecturers are quite common.

What do parents/coaches/skaters think? Where is an acceptable dividing line, taking age/gender/relationship into account? Have you ever been involved in a tricky situation like this?

dbny
02-27-2004, 10:26 PM
Legally, I believe 16 is the age of consent in most states. However, I think a coach is definitely risking his/her reputation and/or career to become involved with skaters much younger than the coach. I also think it's unethical for a professional to proposition a client when the client is in a dependent relationship with the professional.

Personally, I have never even been close to being involved in such a relationship. I have, however; had quite a few little students with very attractive 30 something dads with whom I very much enjoyed discussing the tot's progress. Being almost 57 myself, I enjoyed every smile that came my way :lol:

Skatewind
03-01-2004, 10:04 AM
Well, obviously if it's considered a felony in their state, as is the case with the other thread, it's the coach's problem if they choose to pursue such relationships.

The USFSA devoloped guidelines several years ago & they are clearly stated. A few coaches have tested them & the result has been a permanent ban from the USFSA.

Many colleges have a policy stating instructors & professors cannot date students, although for some it applies only if they are in a position of authority with the student in their class. I dated a professor in college, I also know students who married professors, but they were not taking their class at the time, but were former students.

Most of these rules or laws were implemented because the coaching or teaching party is in a position of power over the student, not only because of age. I would also point out that even if 16 is the legal age of consent in some states, it is not for the USFSA. Also most parents will have a contractual agreement with the coach which can be pursued against insurance or civilly, based on the coach violating the best interests of the student, when there is improper conduct by a coach with a minor under 18.