View Full Version : The mind is a terrible thing to pay attention to...

sk8er1964
02-24-2004, 09:12 PM
Last weekend, I skated at a wonderful adult competition (the N American Invitational). My skate was ok - I felt that I improved over my last skate - but I ran into a problem. I let my mind think.

I missed both of my axels in warm up. Fell on the first one, and popped the second. (This was interesting, because in practice I was popping my first and landing my second.) Anyway, there was no reason for this to happen, because I can do an axel in my sleep. In the program itself, I popped both of them (although the first one did sort of go all the way around). It was ugly.

So I went out today determined to subdue the mental problems that have been plaguing my axel. I was going to make sure that I didn't start to fear them. In my practice, I did them in a variety of ways.

I did them outside of the footwork. I did them in the footwork. I did them out of the spiral. I did them too fast. I did them too slow. I did them too close to the boards. I did them in every way that I had problems with them in the last few weeks. They were all fine. No falls, not even any wobbles. Big, beautiful axels and axel-toes. Why, oh why did I not have them on Saturday???

Well, guess what? I don't have any more competitions coming up soon, just an exhibition. So I guess the axel doesn't need to be weird anymore. I hate my mind sometimes.......

Has this ever happened to you?

melanieuk
02-25-2004, 05:16 AM
Poor thing!
It happens to me all the time - with axel in the past.
Anything...I think "mm I might not be able to do that..!" and WHAM!
I set myself up to fail.
Even for things like loops or sit spins which I can do fine 99.9% of the time.
Weird.
Maybe it's cos we're getting on a bit? The mental bit I mean.

Mrs Redboots
02-25-2004, 05:41 AM
I've certainly suffered from this.

Mind you, we're all a bit mental, or we wouldn't do this sport! :??

Elsy2
02-25-2004, 07:10 AM
Well, it hasn't happened to me....there will be no axels in this lifetime :roll: But it would happen to my daughter....The axel was always her fave, and it is a beauty (like yours). I have a wonderful short program of hers on tape, and there it is, a popped axel on the very first element that was to be axel/2toe. Not the first time either.

Maybe it's like what Dick says? Something about that "trecherous forward edge"....;)

I agree it's definitely mental! She would not obsess after such a program. It was just one of those things, and would happen rarely.

NickiT
02-25-2004, 07:44 AM
I know exactly what you mean as I have a similar mental thing with my lutz. I can land it over and over, on it's own and with linking steps, but when I get to it in my programme it either fails to happen at all (as in the case of the British!) or it's a pretty bad attempt! Why does this happen? Why can you have something pretty solid but then struggle with it under pressure? All I can say is I'm so glad I'm not alone!

Nicki

jenlyon60
02-25-2004, 08:00 AM
It happens to me with my intro-3's in dance. it's almost a joke with me and my coach that we can tell when I've got a test or competition coming up, because my intro-3's desert me.

(This fall, they did a major desertion and are only now tuning into a homing beacon.)

dooobedooo
02-25-2004, 09:28 AM
I think it's to do with being on clear ice in front of an audience. You have the whole rink to yourself, and all of a sudden you don't have to worry about keeping out of the way of other skaters. It gives your mind a gap to worry about something else, and spoils your natural timing.

Elsy2
02-25-2004, 10:17 AM
I am cleaning up around here, and just happened to come across notes from AN, adult Gold Ladies I......

Thought you all might find this interesting...I'm going to list axels and doubles here....

Skater #1 - landed axel and 2/sal
Skater #2 - axel short and 2 footed
second axel short and 2 footed
Skater #3 - axel OK
Skater #4 - landed 2 axels OK, 2/sal (fall)
Skater #5 - 2/toe OK, axel (step out), 2/sal OK
Skater #6 - landed axel and 2/sal
Skater #7 - 2/toe, axel, and 2/sal all 2 footed. 2/Loop (short)
Skater #8 - axel (2 footed), 2/sal (2 footed), second axel OK
Skater #9 - axel/loop (step out), 2/sal OK
Skater #10 - axel (short and 2 footed), 2/Loop (2 footed), 2/toe (short)
Skater #11 - axel (pop)

Forgive me if you recognize your event and I made any mistakes on this, as I know at least one poster here is on this list.....
;)

Anyways....my point is to show just how difficult it is to land that axel every time!

The Ice Demon
02-26-2004, 09:00 PM
This happened to me just last week in a practice. I have been landing axels consistently for quite a while now (they took me a couple of years to get because i was so scared of the forwards take off) and last Thursday and Friday they completely deserted me - in terms of I would just freeze and pull out of the take off. So stupid but I couldn't stop myself from mentally freaking out. Any way I have them back now but boy was it frustrating and humiliating. Now at least i know it isn't just me going crazy!

w.w.west
02-27-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by sk8er1964
Last weekend, I skated at a wonderful adult competition (the N American Invitational). My skate was ok - I felt that I improved over my last skate - but I ran into a problem. I let my mind think.

I missed both of my axels in warm up. Fell on the first one, and popped the second. (This was interesting, because in practice I was popping my first and landing my second.) Anyway, there was no reason for this to happen, because I can do an axel in my sleep. In the program itself, I popped both of them (although the first one did sort of go all the way around). It was ugly.

.....Snip

Well, guess what? I don't have any more competitions coming up soon, just an exhibition. So I guess the axel doesn't need to be weird anymore. I hate my mind sometimes.......

Has this ever happened to you?

Nope...never ever happened to me. :twisted: Yeah, right.

Let's both make a pact....No thinking allowed! ;)

Mel On Ice
02-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Thinking has gotten in the way of every almost-great program I've ever done.

Chico
02-27-2004, 10:32 PM
Been there! There is a fine line between thinking and thinking too much. I also find that I skate my best when relaxed, playing, and listening to good music. I fall apart at the seams when my coach is standing there watching me for all my mistakes. And, I never fail to produce them! In fact I tend to create new and unsual things just for them. I had a coach tell me once that I was capable of a lot more on practice ice than lessons. In fact, you look like two different skaters some days. Heck, I feel like two different skaters! However, I tend to do NEW skills best when a coach is watching. I think it's because I'm thinking! ;-)

Chico

techskater
02-28-2004, 04:58 AM
You know, my problems were with my spins. I think too much about them and THEY are the things that suck when I compete, not the jumps. Just feel the element! (I know, that's easy to say....)

Cinderella
03-07-2004, 06:16 PM
What a great thread.

Guess I would have been better off loosing my mind all those years ago (there are some who will say I did!).