View Full Version : In my Niece's Shadow

Figureskates
02-23-2004, 06:18 AM
Want to feed an inferiority complex? Try having a naturally athletic niece!!

Actually I enjoy every precious minute of it.

Introduced niece to figure skating 3 years ago and she started taking lessons from my coaash about 1 year ago. Her mother drives her up to my rink every two weeks or so for a lesson. I usually skate while she has a lesson so I get a chance to watch up close.

Granted at 12 she can now skate circles around me but I don't care. It blows me away though how my coach will show her something and pow, she does it. Not like yours truelly who takes weeks to get totally comfortable with something new.

I am thrilled she still thinks it is still cool to skate with her uncle.

We are trying to work something out this summer that she and her mother will be in Lake Placid the same week as Adult Skate Week so she can participate in the regular skating program while I skate with the adults.

And what is better than winning any medal? Showing the niece my Salchow and she remarks, "cool".

Schmeck
02-23-2004, 12:49 PM
How'd you like to live with one? My oldest daughter, now 12, will be working on her axel next! And she's only been taking private lessons for 10 months, little brat...

She passed me in Basic Skills last year, and never looked back. Well, except to tell me my technique is all wrong on this and that, LOL! At least your niece said "Cool!"

Schmeck

Elsy2
02-23-2004, 02:59 PM
I think it's sweet that she complimented your skating. Daughter passed me by immediately when we both started skating. She taught me my waltz jump ;) Here's her coaching tip on landing my flip...."just do it Mom!"

Mrs Redboots
02-24-2004, 06:39 AM
Thank goodness mine has given up! :twisted: Husbands, now.... on the other hand, if he gave up I wouldn't have a dance partner, and what would we do on holiday? :P

Justine_R
02-24-2004, 04:58 PM
At least she complimented you;)

dbny
02-24-2004, 07:18 PM
Ah, that's a shadow as pleasing as that of maple on a hot day.