View Full Version : N American Adult Invitational

sk8er1964
02-22-2004, 01:59 PM
I had a really good time at the competition yesterday, although I wasn't able to get there until 2:00-ish. I got to see the Silver III men, the Gold men, bits and pieces of the masters ladies and bronze men events, and several interpetive events. It seems like all had a good time, and I enjoyed talking with a few of the folks from here.

Congrats to Techskater on her two medals. Too bad three of the judges didn't get your interp - it was great :D . Congrats, too, to Black Sheep who had a very nice freestyle skate and medalled with her fun and entertaining interp.

For myself, I was pleased with my skate. Although both of my axels were very ugly, I landed my double sal for the first time in my program :D . (It was cheated, to be honest, but I'll take it!)

Any reports from anyone else who was there?

Michigansk8er
02-22-2004, 02:31 PM
Congrats everyone!!!!! Way to go!!!!!! :D

singerskates
02-22-2004, 03:10 PM
Watched many CAS buddies skate and I've got to say, that all skated better than me, but it was fun. It was a good rehersal for Ann Arbour Spring Skate. One of my buds, taped my skating. Ouch! Was I horrible!
Oh, well. At least I know I have to work on everything.

Consilation(sp) Prizes: Got to hang with my skating buddies. Got to find out what Adult Bronze skaters do in their programs and how fast they skate. Got a bronze medal in adult bronze FS even though I sucked. Though I once again did the wrong type of US interpretive program, I skated not too bad and I moved up 2 spots from 8th to 6th this year with a little help. I also was informed by one of the other Canadian skaters that my type of interpretive program will do well at Adult Canadians. Got to dine out for lunch and dinner with skate buds.

Things I have to Fix: Found out that I have to overhall the first half of my US freeskate. It's just too slow. Need to get into the harness for all my jumps including the loop and especially my flip which I didn't even try in my freeskate. I've got to get way more height on my jumps. Can't be wimping out anymore. It just doesn't work in prelim/bronze like it did in preprelim/prebronze. Must stop dragging my free foot when entering spins. I'm losing most of my speed doing that. It's a bad bad bad habit. Next time I compete in US adult interpretive, I'll be dress like a character and get acting lessons from my daughter who is studying to be an actor at the University of Windsor. I need all the help I can get.

Things I learned: Even if you have all the ingredients right for US interpretives, it's almost like bloc judging. Where was the French Judge? ROTFLOL What I really mean is, it's up to the judges tastes at the moment for your particular flight. One flight they are in the mood for this and the next they are in the mood for that. It's like rolling dice. Or should I say, "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get." Plus what really hurt me was that I wasn't dress as my character I was protraying. I lost many marks for this. Thank God that in Canada you don't get marked for your costumes in interpretive anymore.

Brigitte

Elsy2
02-22-2004, 03:41 PM
I've watched many interpretive events over the years, and while the costumed numbers are most entertaining, I've seen plenty of skaters place well with a plain dress and beautiful skating.

I recall in particular a woman skating to "Stairway to Heaven" with a plain dress that I would wear for practice. I "didn't get it" myself, and thought she could have tried some dress to relate to the music.....but she medaled anyway.

Same competition, was a woman with an outrageous costume who skated on two feet the whole number. I thought for sure she wouldn't place well as there were few elements skated at all.....she medaled. So I agree, you never know what you're going to get!

Congratulations skaters! Sounds like you all had a great time!

Michigansk8er
02-22-2004, 03:57 PM
I remember that too............. :roll:

You have to do what you like for interp and totally for the fun of it.........since there is no telling what will entertain the judges on any given day. One day they like pretty skating to pretty music, and the next they like 2 foot skating that makes them laugh.

I'm still trying to think of something creative to do again sometime. I still need a ton of work on projecting the character or music. The last time I did interp one of the judges told me I was technically the best and my costume fit the music, but had no presentation. I came in last. Yep, that is me......sad to say. I have to learn to ham it up, or be more expressive.

jp1andOnly
02-22-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by singerskates
Watched many CAS buddies skate and I've got to say, that all skated better than me, but it was fun. It was a good rehersal for Ann Arbour Spring Skate. One of my buds, taped my skating. Ouch! Was I horrible!
Oh, well. At least I know I have to work on everything.

Consilation(sp) Prizes: Got to hang with my skating buddies. Got to find out what Adult Bronze skaters do in their programs and how fast they skate. Got a bronze medal in adult bronze FS even though I sucked. Though I once again did the wrong type of US interpretive program, I skated not too bad and I moved up 2 spots from 8th to 6th this year with a little help. I also was informed by one of the other Canadian skaters that my type of interpretive program will do well at Adult Canadians. Got to dine out for lunch and dinner with skate buds.

Things I have to Fix: Found out that I have to overhall the first half of my US freeskate. It's just too slow. Need to get into the harness for all my jumps including the loop and especially my flip which I didn't even try in my freeskate. I've got to get way more height on my jumps. Can't be wimping out anymore. It just doesn't work in prelim/bronze like it did in preprelim/prebronze. Must stop dragging my free foot when entering spins. I'm losing most of my speed doing that. It's a bad bad bad habit. Next time I compete in US adult interpretive, I'll be dress like a character and get acting lessons from my daughter who is studying to be an actor at the University of Windsor. I need all the help I can get.

Things I learned: Even if you have all the ingredients right for US interpretives, it's almost like bloc judging. Where was the French Judge? ROTFLOL What I really mean is, it's up to the judges tastes at the moment for your particular flight. One flight they are in the mood for this and the next they are in the mood for that. It's like rolling dice. Or should I say, "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get." Plus what really hurt me was that I wasn't dress as my character I was protraying. I lost many marks for this. Thank God that in Canada you don't get marked for your costumes in interpretive anymore.

Brigitte

Interesting about the interpretive. I've never seen competitions down in the US. I once did a piece to a song that was entitled Autumn for my Can. interpretive. I guess it was too much for some judges to get because I was showing the life cycle of a leaf from summer to autumn to winter. I even had leaves on my costume, but perhaps I didn't do a good job at it.

As for your freeskate, it all comes with time....and practice. I'm envious you got to do a US comeptition. I just don't have the time nor the money to travel down to do one.

Congrats to all that skated!!!

sk8er1964
02-22-2004, 06:32 PM
I'm sorry, Singer...I forgot to mention you :oops: :( (I always think of you in terms of the CAS board). Congrats on your medal! It was great to see you again :) .

lilpairsk8ter
02-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Congrats to all of you who competed this weekend. sounds like it was a great competition. im really sad i had to miss it. Can anyone give me a report on how the adult pair teams skated and also how silver men I/II went. id'e really apprecialte it. again great job to everyone who competed

Black Sheep
02-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Lousy week, lousy competition.

1. It started with the thread I posted called "In My Coach's Shadow", which many folks, including my own mother, shamed me for posting. It seemed to cost me a few friends, and I was afraid to head for Wyandotte after that. What if someone recognized me from this board? Were they holding grudges against me for it? Yes, I am afraid one way or another, my coach will find out about it (info. can leak!), and then I'll be without a coach.

2. On the way over, I got pulled over by a cop because for not pulling over when he was right behind me with the lights flashing. My eyes were too focused on the soggy, foggy road, and it didn't occur to me to watch my rearview mirror. I really wanted to pull over for that police car, but there was this red minivan who wouldn't let me. The cop let me off with a warning, but I felt really paranoid driving through the soggy weather after that! Plus, I got up too late at home that morning, and I was pretty tired trying to make the two practice-ice sessions I'd booked. I only got there in time to do the second one.

3. The next day, I still felt, well, unliked, and I didn't really want to get out there and skate either of my programs. But of course, I did anyway. Long program was a disaster. Mistakes included (in no particular order):

--Bent free leg on both of my flying-camel and camel-combo spins.
--Messy, cheated opening axel.
--Cheated double-sal.
--Sloppy parts in footwork.
--A huge knot in my stomach causing all this mess to happen.

Actually, it seemed to me that everyone in my group messed up on one thing or another. Some even fell. I figured I still had a chance for a medal but, no--I got 6th out of 6th. I felt like I was being punished for 1) the mess i'd created from "In My Coach's Shadow", and 2) getting pulled over by the cop.

Afterwards, I went and sat in my car. I turned it on for a few minutes just to get the heat going. At 5 p.m. or so, I went back to my hotel to check out and grab my stuff. I deciced I was heading home to see my own cats after my Cats Interp program, not sitting in a strange hotel room feeling sorry for myself. Of course, my heart wasn't really in my Interp. program, either (in fact, my flip past the judges had a sloppy landing--OOPS!). I was lucky to get 3rd out of 4th for that.

4. After a long, dark, tiring drive back, my mom chewed me out when I got home for not calling her and letting her know my change of plans (another time, another story!).

flying~camel
02-22-2004, 07:34 PM
I took 1st in YA Bronze FS :)

Two footed my lutz (I get a mental block on that when my music is on!), but everything else felt pretty solid.

singerskates - I saw you skate, and thought you did a fantastic job! (You also spoke to my hubby about the Olympic-esque cowbells! ;))

This was my first adult competition experience, and I had a great time! It was such a laid-back environment compared to the regular track competitions I've been to, and that helped me to be more relaxed during my skate.

Congrats to all who skated, and am looking forward to seeing you all in future adult comps! :D

jazzpants
02-22-2004, 07:59 PM
Click Here for Results (http://www.sk8stuff.com/utility/lister_event_detail.asp?id=2156)

Thanks, Don!!! :D

sk8er1964: What happened to my coach at Gold Men/Masters FS? *sigh* :( (PM me if you don't wanna post it.) Then again, I'm happy for Chris too! Kinda hard to beat a Charlotte spiral & hydroblade... ;)

Congrats to everyone!!!

sk8er1964
02-22-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by jazzpants
Click Here for Results (http://www.sk8stuff.com/utility/lister_event_detail.asp?id=2156)

Thanks, Don!!! :D

sk8er1964: What happened to my coach at Gold Men/Masters FS? *sigh* :( (PM me if you don't wanna post it.) Then again, I'm happy for Chris too! Kinda hard to beat a Charlotte spiral & hydroblade... ;)

Congrats to everyone!!!

From watching the warm up, it seemed that both of them were a bit off. I'm afraid that I can't remember details of their event, because I was thinking about my own event, but I do remember enjoying both performances. I talked to both of them after their event, and they were both very nice, very gracious and seemed to be happy with their skates.

jazzpants
02-22-2004, 11:25 PM
Thank sk8er1964... as long as they're happy with their skates, I'm happy! :D

Mrs Redboots
02-23-2004, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by singerskates
Plus what really hurt me was that I wasn't dress as my character I was protraying. I lost many marks for this. Thank God that in Canada you don't get marked for your costumes in interpretive anymore. But then, unless you are the most superb skater and actor, how do the judges know what you are trying to do? Here, in artistic competitions, very often one judge marks nothing but the costume - you tend to have one judge marking technical merit, one marking artistic impression, one marking costume, one marking music and one marking choreography, and then each judge gives a second mark for entertainment value. Nevertheless, particularly in pairs/small group artistic, the people who skate really well still tend to win over those who don't.

I agree, though - it does so depend on what the judges like. I've won competitions with a programme that came dead last in others.... all too often....

flo
02-23-2004, 09:52 AM
What were the interpretive programs?
I've skated interpretives for many years and I know that the judging can be frustrating, but also that it has improved over the years.
It is possible to medal at local events and Nationals without an outrageous costume. As far as getting your theme across to the judges and the audience, it's also possible to get a concept program across and be rewarded, but it's more difficult. Even before the music starts the judges will understand that someone in a rabbit costume chewing on a carrot it at least trying to be a rabbit. One year I was time. It took lots of work, and it was rewarded.
I always ask myself for my programs and the ones I see if I would get it if the skater was wearing a black practice outfit.

dani
02-23-2004, 10:27 AM
I just received my video from the DC competition. Flo, your interp was beautiful!

Ok, I wasn't a bunny chewing on a carrot, but I think my costume was necessary for people understanding what I was portraying. ;-)

Hugs!
Danielle

ps) My goal is to skate a program that if we have another exhibition night that I will be asked to skate in it!

flo
02-23-2004, 10:46 AM
Thanks,Dani,
Yes, your costume was important, but without your choreography and skating, it would have been just a costume! You carried your character throughout the entire program, and really skated it well.

stillskating
02-23-2004, 07:59 PM
Someone asked what happened in this event. Chris landed a HUGE axel and a good double sal. He had trouble on his flying sit and singled one sal and two toes. Jay had jump issues (including a fall, I think, and some underrotated jumps) and gorgeous spins (except he might have had trouble on the flying sit, too).

Both were fun to watch.

jazzpants
02-23-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by stillskating
Someone asked what happened in this event. Chris landed a HUGE axel and a good double sal. He had trouble on his flying sit and singled one sal and two toes. Jay had jump issues (including a fall, I think, and some underrotated jumps) and gorgeous spins (except he might have had trouble on the flying sit, too).

Both were fun to watch. Thanks for the report! (Twas me that asked...) :mrgreen:

Re: Jay -- *sigh* :( Oh, well! It sounds like he had fun though... :P

w.w.west
02-24-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by jazzpants
Thanks for the report! (Twas me that asked...) :mrgreen:

Re: Jay -- *sigh* :( Oh, well! It sounds like he had fun though... :P

Jay had fun, that's for sure! Tell him he forgot his banner! He came in Friday night for the practice ice and asked "Hey, where's my Welcome Home Banner?" So, we made him one and hung it behind registration where everyone could see. Tell him he forgot it...and I'll give it to him at Mids! It's still kind of strange hearing...."representing Wyandotte FSC, Jay Kobayashi"....but it's nice to have have someone from California represent our club....Hey maybe it will bring us nicer weather! LOL

Also, thanks to everyone for coming. We look forward to seeing you all next year!

dani
02-24-2004, 09:30 AM
Hey, *why* does he represent Wyandotte? I keep forgetting to ask him!

Hugs!
Danielle

dcden
02-24-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by dani

Hugs!
Danielle

Check out the "Adult Eastern Sectionals: I'm so bitter!" thread and apply the arguments to Pacific sectionals and you'll get the idea ;)

In years past there were usually many master men in Pacifics so that qualifying was not a trivial matter. This year it's Easterns that is experiencing a large turnout of gold/master adults. But Midwesterns has for some time had a low turnout of gold/master men.

Terri C
02-24-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by dani

I was asking myself the same question, when the answer Den gave us hit me right on the head. It's interesting that those who have to qualify for AN are having the same issue for qualifying compettions that the standard track kiddos have.
Makes me wonder how the 12/4 plan, which will be implemented in the 2005/06 season will affect this! :?:

sk8pics
02-24-2004, 06:15 PM
Dani and Flo -- Do you mind my asking what you did for your interpretive programs? Believe me, I'm not looking to "steal" anyone's ideas, but I'm just curious to hear more about the types of programs people are skating.

Thanks in advance,
Pat

jazzpants
02-25-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by w.w.west
Jay had fun, that's for sure! Tell him he forgot his banner! He came in Friday night for the practice ice and asked "Hey, where's my Welcome Home Banner?" So, we made him one and hung it behind registration where everyone could see. Tell him he forgot it...and I'll give it to him at Mids! It's still kind of strange hearing...."representing Wyandotte FSC, Jay Kobayashi"....but it's nice to have have someone from California represent our club....Hey maybe it will bring us nicer weather! LOL Jay's got a "Welcome Home" Banner!?!?!?

http://mysmilies.ipbfree.com/s/kao/otn/bloblaugh.gif

What is he gonna ask for next? A parade in his honor!?!?! :P :lol: Hey, maybe next year when I (hope to) go to AN 2005, we could all throw bras at him instead of stuffed toys after his program! Maybe he'll find one in his size? :twisted: :lol:

Sunny California? Yeah, right! :roll: :P We're having crappy weather in the next 24-48 hours. MAJOR storms are coming our way with HURRICANE FORCE winds!!! We've taken in everything that isn't bolted down in the garage and bracing for the worse. (I'll probably turn off my computer tonight...in case of a power surge.)

flo
02-25-2004, 10:01 AM
sk8pics
My interpretive programs have been pretty varied, My first was the loon program to the music from "On Golden Pond". One was a very intense program - the little girl in the red dress from Schindler's list using the choral music from that part of the movie. I also used the Sinatra music "the way you look tonight" for a very showy program. One of my favorites was "The Timekeeper" where I was the different faces of time. Last year I was a baby bird, hatching then learning to fly. This year's program is something different for me. It's for the 10th Adult Nationals, and my 10th as well.
Whatever you do, make it something you really enjoy and that will come across to the audience and judges.

techskater
02-28-2004, 04:53 AM
skater1964, you are too kind! I only got to see parts of your FS while I was busy panting after my own skate, but it looked pretty good. Congrats on YOUR medal!

Beccapoo2003
02-28-2004, 07:15 AM
Speaking of interp....."The Sreak" got last place at AN one year and first place another year at AN! So it just goes to show, ya never know!!!
BTW, I'm tickled about all the talk about the underwear, the underwear phantom must still be lurking in the shadows!!! Muuaahhaahahhaaaahaa..............
Becca from Alabama

Beccapoo2003
02-28-2004, 07:17 AM
Oops! I meant to say "The Streak"

Mrs Redboots
02-28-2004, 10:10 AM
Hullo, Becca! Welcome....

What about your "Jaws" piece - I know that won at the Mountain Cup, but what had it done elsewhere? "Jake The Peg" won twice, came last twice, and got Bronze once, so go figure, as they say.....

jazzpants
02-28-2004, 04:29 PM
Hi, Becca! Welcome to the group!

Jaws theme? Were you the one that did the Jaws/Flipper theme number??? If so, that was KEWL!!! 8-)

"The Streak" huh??? Geez, I sure miss a lot of good fun Interps!!!

The underwear phantom strikes again!!! Tee hee hee... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Beccapoo2003
02-28-2004, 08:42 PM
Hi guys!
Jaws also won at AN. I don't know if it's the one you saw, but it is Jaws vs a swimmer with the outragous dive with a splash at the end. Fun! Fun! Fun!
Becca