View Full Version : Skate alert - new Riedell 320's on ebay

dbny
02-21-2004, 01:15 PM
I know this should be on the Trading Post, but since people here frequently ask for advice about buying skates, I thought it would get more notice here. I'm not selling these, but was tempted to buy them and re-sell at the rinks where I work. Instead, I'm hoping someone here can use them. With a Buy It Now of $50, they are a really great deal.

Arsenette, if you have not yet bought skates, run out and try on the Riedell model 320 in size 5, as these would be great for you!

Riedell Model 320 on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3662407239&category=21227)

flippet
02-21-2004, 05:28 PM
Just as a note, Riedell size 5 will likely fit street shoe size 6 1/2 or 7.

Those do look to be in great condition. I wonder why they're being sold...hopefully just the wrong size, and not someone disillusioned with skating!

dbny
02-21-2004, 06:03 PM
I briefly had an adult student who bought this model with the same blade, and was never able to use them because she could not break them in. She was too much of a beginner for the boot. The 320 is just below a Silver Star and does need a skater who can at least work on crossovers.

skatepixie
02-21-2004, 08:49 PM
I disagree with that. I have 320s, or one model below it, and they arent even supportive enough for a toe loop, which you will get w/in the life of the boot. As for xovers, dont ppl learn those w/in the 1st few weeks?

flippet
02-22-2004, 09:15 AM
This is all going to depend on the individual skater. I started in 220s, because they didn't have 320s in my size at the time, and I trashed those inside of 6 months, probably more like 4. I then moved up to 320s, and again, trashed them within 6 months. (Creative tying got me through another 6 months, but with resulting ankle pain--lucky there wasn't damage.)

However, I skated with a lady who had 220s for a number or years, and they barely had a crease. She just wasn't hard on her skates.

Something else that can make a difference is whether you tie them to the top or not--if you do right at first, that can make everything so much harder, and you won't be moving the boot enough to break it in. In this case, I'd recommend both tying off a little lower, and sitting/walking in them at home to break them in. 320s are still flexible enough for a true beginner, as long as the skater isn't feather-light, and actually puts them through enough hours of skating. If they don't, it will be hard to break in any skate.

(One usually gets to *rudimentary* crossovers within a session, or two---if it takes much longer than that, the skater either has issues with physical coordination (not a crime, but a possibility), or more likely just isn't spending enough time in the skates--i.e. practicing.)

NetExpress
02-22-2004, 12:13 PM
I bought a pair of 320 last year. 2003 model has so called "rolled top comfortable collar" which I found very useful. However I spent big money to buy comfort. One of my friends spent $70 less on a pair of older model without rolled top collar and ended up needing bandages for a few months. But everyone is different. My two girls never need the rolled top collar.