View Full Version : Adult Eastern Sectional

dcden
02-20-2004, 05:07 AM
It's here, a listing of all the folks entered in each qualifying and non-qualifying event at Syracuse:

http://hometown.aol.com/newskates/SCofCNY13.html

vesperholly
02-21-2004, 07:03 PM
Schedule's up... http://hometown.aol.com/newskates/index.html

Ugh! 8AM for my freestyle! :evil:

Terri C
02-21-2004, 07:57 PM
Hey Den,
Am I seeing things, or did they miss Championship Gold Men on the schedule??

I also noticed that there were quite a few events cancelled.

Stormy
02-21-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by vesperholly
Schedule's up... http://hometown.aol.com/newskates/index.html

Ugh! 8AM for my freestyle! :evil:

Ugh, 8 AM again? Sorry. :( NO MIF events this year, either. Bummer! I was looking forward to doing the wrong Moves again! :P

manleywoman
02-22-2004, 12:30 PM
I noticed that they forgot to put in Champ Gold Men too.

My event is 10:15 am. On the one hand, I was hoping for a time around noon so I could sleep in more, but on the other hand I'm happy to have my event over with early so I can be done and watch everyone else.

dcden
02-22-2004, 02:55 PM
Yeah, manleywoman notified me of the same thing... I emailed the contact on their website about the schedule snafu but haven't gotten a response yet. Maybe they cancelled the event because they decided to just let us all qualify for nationals (15 total)? Nah, don't think so...

Stormy
02-22-2004, 09:51 PM
I got an e-mail from them today, and Silver Moves are supposed to be on the schedule, but they are still "tweaking" it. No kidding! I guess a revised schedule will be out soon. I'm sure Champ. Gold Men will be on it.

manleywoman
02-22-2004, 10:14 PM
I got a reply regarding Gold Men...it's the last event of the day after Masters Men.

dcden...you're the grand finale!

dcden
02-22-2004, 10:29 PM
Oh Jesus! Yeah, I hope my finale is as good as that of Carrie Bradshaw et. al. At least I can sleep in that morning, but also I'll have all day to get frazzled. Ugh... oh well, on to Syracuse!

LWalsh
02-23-2004, 09:17 AM
I have a question - I have a friend competing in Men's Masters intermediate IV. It looks like there are only six Maters Men all together. Assumably they are not all the same level. Does that mean that they still advance to nationals in their own divisions? Obvisouly a Masters Senior I is likely to come out ahead of a Masters Novice IV, etc.

mskater
02-23-2004, 09:26 AM
LWalsh,

Not sure I understand your question exactly, but basically if your friend is skating in the Championship Master's Mens event then he is vying for one of the four spots for the same event at Nationals. Because it is a Championship event, we all get grouped together regardless of our individual level...not exactly fair is it? On the other hand, your friend could compete in the Master's Novice event at Nationals without having to qualify from Sectionals. Hope this helps some:]

skaternum
02-23-2004, 09:27 AM
The only people who advance to Adult Nationals (for masters men) are the top finishers in the Championship Masters Men event. The other Masters Men events, such as Masters Men Intermediate IV, are NOT qualifying events for Adult Nationals; they're just regular old Open events, like Silver I or Bronze II.

LWalsh
02-23-2004, 10:22 AM
Oh ...I see. I thought they had the levels broken out even for qualifying events.

Thanks!

jazzpants
03-05-2004, 01:14 AM
Le Bump... to wish everyone here going to Adult Eastern this weekend good luck and GO KICK SOME ICE BUTTS!!!

http://mysmilies.ipbfree.com/s/kao/otn/blob_box.gif

vesperholly
03-05-2004, 07:29 AM
Thanks!! CanAmSk8ter, I sent you a PM.

skaternum
03-05-2004, 08:26 AM
Yeah, good luck! We want full reports when you get back. Regale us with tales of your victories!

jazzpants
03-07-2004, 01:55 PM
Championship Masters Ladies (http://www.usfsa.org/event_related_details.asp?ri=content/events/200304/adultsectionals-East/ladies-masters.htm)

Championship Masters Men (http://www.usfsa.org/event_related_details.asp?ri=content/events/200304/adultsectionals-East/chmastersmen.htm)

Championship Adult Gold Ladies (http://www.usfsa.org/event_related_details.asp?ri=content/events/200304/adultsectionals-East/ladies-gold.htm)

Championship Adult Gold Men (http://www.usfsa.org/event_related_details.asp?ri=content/events/200304/adultsectionals-East/champgoldmen.htm)

Championship Dance after the Second Dance (http://www.usfsa.org/event_related_details.asp?ri=content/events/200304/adultsectionals-East/dance-2.htm) (Today's Free Dance competition has already happened, but no results posted...)

Anyone else have results for other events? ;)

manleywoman
03-07-2004, 05:34 PM
Hey! Got back not too long ago, but I'll give my review:

MASTERS LADIES:

Wow wow wow. Okay, the top three ladies are all 25-27 years old, all had triples in their youth, and all showed up at Adult Sectionals for the first time. I skated towards the end so I can' t recall in detail who did what, but I know the basics. The judges definitely seemed to be counting jumps, because the few of us who really work at the presentation part of the mark didn't seem to gain much by doing so! dcden has the breakdown of who landed what, but basically ...

The winner had 2axle and two double-double combos.

The 2nd placer had huge doubles through 2 lutz, plus at least 2 combos IIRC, and was fast fast fast. Evevn though the judges had her overwhelmingly in 2nd, everyone watching thought she should have won. Hmmmm...I have to wait for my DVD to come.

3rd had through 2lutz, but made a few small mistakes.

4th had through 2flip and some tricky spins, doing a beautiful layback and a camel that switched to an outside edge. She also does her 2loop with her hands over her head, and a nice split falling leaf. (I did watch her skate, since she's a friend of mine). I also thought she won the award for best dress.

5th was last year's winner and she had a tough skate for her, falling out of 2 camel spins, falling on one jump, and a hand down on a 2toe, but she's also got great speed and did land some nice jumps.

6th was me. I had a great skate, though I fell on an easy 2toe (though I'd landed an earlier one) and didn't complete my 2sal-2loop combo (though it was perfect in warmup. Grrrrr). But I felt it was otherwise one of the best skates I've ever had, because I controlled my nerves, had great spins, footwork and edges were solid, and overall had enjoyed myself and skated strong to the end (thanks to my coach for stamina training!). But since my highest jump was a 2loop, there's no way I could break into the top five without a 2flip or 2lutz. So now I know what I need to work on for next year.

7th had a nice program with lots of good flow and ice coverage, but she did 3 axels and 3 2toes. Zayak Rule, anyone? Her two attempts at 2sal didn't happen.

8th I didn't see, but I heard she fell 3 times. Normally she has through 2lutz.

9th is another good friend of mine, and she had a great skate, landing everything through 2loop and a two-footed 2flip, with no other mistakes. She was bummed she was as low as 9th, but she knows she tends to skate slow and wondered if that was what kept her down. She always looks like she's having a blast when she skates (and she is), so I was bummed that the judges didn't reward her for it.

10th...sorry, didn't see her.

11th...didn't see her either, but I know she thought she did okay, landing through 2toe.

12th had heavily cheated jumps through 2flip. But it was her first year back in 19 years and she's had no lessons to prepare herself, so kudos to her for coming back and giving it a shot.

13th...didn't see her,

14th and 15th didn't get much past axel and 2sal, if that. More nicer girls you'll never meet, so I always look forward to seeing them at Sectionals.

GOLD MEN:

A tough one to judge, since nobody stood out with a clean program. Each skater landed a few things and fell on a few things, so the ordinals were wacky at times. The top four landed either an axel, 2sal, or 2toe, sometimes two of the three, but never all. But the 1st and 3rd place guys had lots of style and attitude, which made them stand out. The 2nd place guy had good speed and flow. Our own dcden missed his first axel, but fought back to land the second one in combination, plus had a flying sit-spin, so we were proud of him!

GOLD LADIES:

Another tough one to judge for the same reasons as above, but it was a bit easier to judge than Gold Mens, because some did stand out.

1st place had noticeably the best flow and speed of the bunch, and I think she landed axel and 2sal at least, and had nice singles otherwise.

2nd place had an extremely front-loaded program, landing a nice axel and 2sal, then falling on a 2toe, all in the first 40 or so seconds, and then didn't do much else hte rest of the program. But the jumps she did land were really nice.

3rd place had 2 axels and a 2sal (I think) and nice flow and presentation throughout. I was happy for her because I though she would have qualified last year, but she didn't skate well.

4th got my respect, because she had one of the scariest warm-ups I;ve ever seen, having some frightening take-offs, and equally treacherous landings. But when that music started she went for it all like a bull in a china shop, and landed a scary 2loop, axel, and I think a 2sal. She had good speed and for the most part stayed on her feet, so good for her.

Can't remember much about the rest. Again, all landed something but all fell on something too. Everyone basically tried through 2toe, with varying degrees of success and failure.

MASTERS MEN

This event was as wacky as they get. A usual entry who's done Easterns for years apparently broke his leg and obviously was not there. Another entry withdrew for reasons I don't know. So it was down to 5 men. Now, there were 4 men on this warm-up who all had through 2flip, some with 2lutz, and lots of nice combos, when out on the ice somes the 5th guy, a sweet 50 years old-ish guy who was entering this event for kicks, not realizing it was a qualifying event for Nationals. So out he comes and all he does on the warm-up is stroke, a waltz jump, a salchow, and a camel spin. He was way out of his league, and he knew it and was fine with it. All of a sudden, one of the other four guys practices a nice split 2toe combo, and HIS RIGHT BLADE SNAPS IN HALF! He was first to skate, so the referee and others immediately came over to try to get him a replacement blade, or to borrow a boot from someone else. Well, this guy's got huge feet for a skater, but they manage to find a local skater who lends him his right skate, But he didn't fell comfortable in it, so he withdrew. Down to 4 skaters!

1st had a clean program, lots of 2-2 combos, through 2lutz. Great presentation

2nd had through 2flip, with a nice program. Also great presentation

3rd had also through 2flip with jumps out of nowhere. And also great presentation.

And god love him, out comes the 4th guy, wearing a suit, and he steps through his program, does a waltz jump, a salchow, a toe loop, and camel spins and lunges on both feet and he's done. Cute as can be, so I threw him a beanie baby (which I couldn't get over the $%^*# netting!). He only found out afterwards that he had qualified for Nationals, because again, he didn't really know what he was entering. He felt bad for the kid whos blade broke, but he was pretty psyched for himself, and we were psyched for him. How often does a guy like that get to qualify?

Ahhh...gotta love Adult Skating! :D

skaternum
03-07-2004, 07:17 PM
Holy Cow, Batman! What a wacky Masters Men's event!! The guy whose blade snapped in half is a friend of mine. I haven't talked to him yet, but he must feel just awful. Another friend of mine had to withdraw from the Gold Ladies event because she fell (during practice ice, I think) and dislocated her knee.

Sounds like a weird competition. :o

I wonder what happened in the nonqualifying events.

vesperholly
03-07-2004, 07:27 PM
Oh, my poor maligned Chad! First his costume was lost by the airline and was recovered Saturday afternoon hours before the event, and then the blade problem. He was such a good sport after the incredibly disappointing and surreal events. There was also another skater from North Carolina who dislocated her knee on practice. NC drama squad!

Since manleywoman did a great report of the Championship events, I will try to sum up what I saw. I competed in YA Silver Ladies, and came in third of five. I did lutz-loop, camel-sit-back sit, flip, flying camel, footwork into stag falling leaf-loop (put foot down on landing), left out choreography :), spiral into sal-steps-flip (two-footed), layback FALL :evil: to end. I was pretty happy with the skate excepting the fluke layback fall - that's usually one of my best spins. The winner landed lutz-loop-loop and other assorted things, most of the group was doing flying camels of varying skill. Everyone was really friendly and nice - I love competing adult!

I also competed in Adult Silver Solo Dance, and won, whee! :) I wide-stepped a little but overall was pleased with the dance. CanAmSk8ter was my competition and she did a very good dance to steal one first-place ordinal from me!

Stormy did great, with a clean freestyle program to finish second in Adult Silver Ladies I, and first in Silver MIF.

The Ch Masters ladies were incredible. The top ten were all so strong. Ch Gold was a real mixed bag, with lots of good doubles, several falls and some genuinely weird ordinal splits.

I met lots of people from skatingforums, including manleywoman and dcden, and lots of other great adult skaters. I am on a skating high after this weekend and I hope it lasts!!

dcden
03-07-2004, 09:46 PM
I'll chime in with my own observations. I saw the adult pairs group and was very impressed with all three. First pair did their solo spins in opposite directions. Very Jill/Peter, eh? Good flow, good style, very pleasant to watch. Second pair had the best lifts of the competition. Third pair had some problems early on, aborting either a lift or a twist lift or a throw jump (couldn't tell what it was going to be), and the man fell on footwork; but they recovered well and finished strongly, with probably the best death spiral of the competition (BO, also done by the 2nd pair; 1st pair did a pivot spiral).

Thanks for the kind words re my performance. I wish I could've done better, though. I think I just need to be more mentally prepared and not get so freaked out. It's... supposed... to... be... fun... Now I guess I'll go watch the video and cringe at the appropriate moments.

It was great meeting new faces and catching up with familiar faces. Now I know who's who online. Vesper, congrats on your win! Mskater, keep us informed as to how it goes with trying to petition to Nationals. You really deserve to be there; how often does someone ever break a blade, let alone in competition? Even Tonya Harding couldn't fake that.

Sorry if I forgot anyone... I'll write more later, but right now I'm pretty tired and sleepy. On to Mids...

manleywoman
03-07-2004, 10:14 PM
yes, vesperholly and stormy it was very fun to meet you!

Cinderella
03-07-2004, 10:35 PM
Congrats to all of you, especially on the great attitudes that you've displayed here, not just about your performances, but about your competitors'.

You're all real winners, professional and classy!

Debbie S
03-07-2004, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the reports, everyone! Was the skater who dislocated her knee in warm-up Lisa Chisholm? How awful for her (or whoever it was). I met her at the New Year's comp - I hope she gets better in time to skate at ANs (I assume she entered Gold).

manleywoman, I think the Zayak rule only applies to jumps with 3 or more revolutions, so axels and doubles are not affected. Congrats on your skate - it sounds like you skated really well!

Good luck to everyone skating at ANs! I look forward to hearing tales of everyone's victories. :)

skaternum
03-08-2004, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by Debbie S
Was the skater who dislocated her knee in warm-up Lisa Chisholm? How awful for her (or whoever it was).

Yes, it was Lisa.

NoVa Sk8r
03-08-2004, 05:13 AM
OMG, my heart goes out to Chad and Lisa!

Any other notes on adult pairs?

jazzpants
03-08-2004, 10:43 AM
Championship Dance - Final Standing (after the OD) (http://www.usfsa.org/event_related_details.asp?ri=content/events/200304/adultsectionals-East/chdance-final.htm)

flo
03-08-2004, 11:08 AM
How were the interpretive programs?

jazzpants
03-08-2004, 11:22 AM
Man, this is a WACKY WACKY Sectionals!!!

First thing: I feel really bad for Chad and Lisa. :(

Second, what a WACKY competitor that last guy! I would throw a beanie baby his way too, for having the guts to go out there and compete with all those doubles around him. You're one BRAVE dude! LOL!!!

I hope the rest of you guys had a great time there!!! Congrats to all you guys!

skatingatty
03-08-2004, 01:44 PM
Wow- sounds like an exciting event! I wish I could've been there; maybe next yr. I'll go to Adult Nationals. I know Chad and Lisa too; sounds like Chad is ok despite breaking his blade. Thanks for the reports, everyone!

CanAmSk8ter
03-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Well that was a fun competition! For three weeks into a (pretty drastic) coaching change I'm reasonably happy with how I skated. I haven't had much time to work on the American with my new coach (I think we've worked on it twice) but we made one major correction that I did right on every RFO 3. Of course, I'm sure I'll be horrified when I get the DVD and watch it ;) Jocelyn, next year, you and me, Pre-Gold?

I'm disappointed I didn't get to see the pairs. I'm looking forward to taking my Adult Pair tests when I turn 25- I'm small enough! I think physically, at 5 feet not-quite-one-inch, if I could get even ten pounds off I'm probably better suited to pairs than dance. I like dance better though. My best friends do pairs and I wouldn't want to do the overheads and throw triples like they do but otherwise it looks like fun :)

LWalsh
03-08-2004, 04:40 PM
Well the Championship Men's 4th place competitor is a friend of mine. We train together. Actually he was suffering an injury last week too! He did in fact enter the wrong event. He was supposed to enter Master's Intermediate IV (as my post last week). By the time he realized the mistake, it was too late to enter the correct event since nationals deadline had passed. So he had no choice but to just go and hope for the best. We joked last week that somebody could not show up and somebody else could withdraw then he'd get to go to Lake Placid. WOW.

I hadn't read these postings until now and I almost just fell off my chair!

Lara

jazzpants
03-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by LWalsh
Well the Championship Men's 4th place competitor is a friend of mine. We train together. Actually he was suffering an injury last week too! He did in fact enter the wrong event. He was supposed to enter Master's Intermediate IV (as my post last week). By the time he realized the mistake, it was too late to enter the correct event since nationals deadline had passed. So he had no choice but to just go and hope for the best. We joked last week that somebody could not show up and somebody else could withdraw then he'd get to go to Lake Placid. WOW.

I hadn't read these postings until now and I almost just fell off my chair!
So Lara, is he still in shock from this experience? Or has he come down to earth? LOL!!! :lol: I still think he's a brave soul for sticking it out! And that's KEWL in my book! 8-)

climbsk8
03-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Hi Guys!

It's Lisa...you remember me, the one with the crutches.

Advil is my new favorite hard candy. I'm going to start using it on top of ice cream instead of those sprinkly things.

First of all, thanks to EVERYBODY who worried/carried/fussed/asked/hugged/ or otherwise sympathized with/over me. It made the weekend fun, when it otherwise could have been miserable.

I'm still waiting for an expert opinion on the injury, but I know it could have been worse. My kneecap was dislocated, but not my knee joint, so my ACL, MCL and meniscus ligaments are probably not greatly affected. I've been through this before and I hope I can get back in some form in time for Adult Nationals.

However, the thought of doing the rocker-choctaws in my footwork makes me want to puke right now. And my back sit spin is TOAST.

So, in order to break the NC curse of Sectionals....maybe we should get to be the home team next year or the year after. Anybody interested in Sweet Tea, Barbecue and Moonpies in the hospitality room?

Thanks again for everything!

the gimp

manleywoman
03-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Lisa!

(((((hugs)))))

Feel better! And I'm hoping you'll be okay for ANs...just replace the back sit spin with a fancy upright spin! I'm glad you had fun regardless!

Figureskates
03-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Masters Lady winner is the wife of my skate shop owner, and she had a baby about 10 month ago too. Good job Stephanie!!

vesperholly
03-08-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Figureskates
Masters Lady winner is the wife of my skate shop owner, and she had a baby about 10 month ago too. Good job Stephanie!!

She was excellent, big double axel and nice doubles, and her daughter is positively ADORABLE.

Lisa, I'm glad you're not hurt too badly. Have a swift and safe recovery!

NoVa Sk8r
03-08-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by climbsk8
Hi Guys!

It's Lisa...you remember me, the one with the crutches.

First of all, thanks to EVERYBODY who worried/carried/fussed/asked/hugged/ or otherwise sympathized with/over me. It made the weekend fun, when it otherwise could have been miserable.

Hey Lisa,

It's Steve, your favorite adult male skater who used to skate in Hillsborough.

Here's hoping you recover nicely so that you kick major butt at Nationals.

Does the NC curse apply to skaters who used to skate there? :P

[It was great seeing you in Ashburn!]

Debbie S
03-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Hope you feel better soon, Lisa! Sending good vibes your way!

I know how you feel - I suffered a bad knee injury in October. I accidentally hit my toe pick on the ice during back crossovers and fell directly on my left knee. The swelling was awful, but it turned out to just be a bone bruise (the doctor thought something might have torn b/c it looked so bad). I was off the ice for 3 weeks. The week after I returned, I competed in the team event at Wilmington in November. How I did that scratch spin and spiral, I'll never know. I think it was adrenaline, or just excitement to be back on the ice, or something. :)

Hopefully, you'll be recovered in time for ANs. Look at it as an opportunity to be creative with your choreography.;)

(I'm Claudia's student who chatted with you in the locker room at the Ashburn competition.)

jazzpants
03-09-2004, 12:36 AM
Hi, Lisa!

Here's to a speedy recovering for you... and if you feel Advil isn't doing it for you or is screwing up your stomach, you could always ask your doctor if they have better "sprinkles" for your ice cream. :lol:

I'm thankful I didn't dislocate my kneecaps when I busted my knees, so at most I was out for 3-4 weeks with a NASTY bruise.

You haven't met me yet... but keep competing and either next year or the year after I'll be at AN as a Bronze lady... :D

mskater
03-09-2004, 06:52 PM
"Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina" he hums as he types:]

Big Thanks to everyone who wished me support after my most hellacious weekend! To be honest, losing my costume on the way up was more damaging than the blade breaking because I completely lost myself to nerves at that point and just couldn't calm myself down from there on out. All of the guys in my group were so supportive and I'm really glad I got to meet them all; just wish I was heading up to Lake Placid with them next month.

Special thanks to Vesperholly and Stormy, you guys are so cool and really helped me get through this weekend! Vesperholly skated brilliantly to "TuranDOT"(wink,wink) and Stormy was equally brilliant as she won her compulsory moves event(perhaps b/c there were no silly spirals this year):]

Btw, Manleywoman, didn't get a chance to introduce myself but I saw your freeskate and was quite impressed...your emphasis on choreography and polish didn't go unnoticed by this spectator:] Thanks dcden for your kind words and support; though I've decided to shift my focus to passing my next moves test in lieu of petitioning to Nationals. But it was nice to meet you and I hope the "powers that be" rethink their decision to not activate the fill-up rule.

Lisa, you have my vote for bringing Sectionals to NC...we could have Smithfield's Chicken and BBQ cater...GET WELL SOON!!

manleywoman
03-09-2004, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the compliment on my program, and I'm so sorry about your blade breaking. What heartache to work for a year only to be dashed three minutes before the music starts! Your warm up looked great and solid, at least.

I agree with dcden that you should petition to go...there are two open spots from Pacifics and there will be one from Mids...it's such a shame for them to go unused (that counts for Gold Men's too). And with the skills that you have you certainly deserve to be there.

I wish they'd do the fill-up rule for adults. It's not as though it's the Olympics! They don't have to be so strict for us. I'll petition for you if you like, since I think we should encourage adults whenever possible to compete.

skaternum
03-09-2004, 08:10 PM
I agree, manleywoman. It'd be ridiculous for extra slots to go unused. Do I feel a letter writing campaign coming on? Maybe I'll try a subliminal message. petition 8O

Chad, I tried to email you but it bounced. petition I'm so sorry about your problems at Sectionals. It's so frustrating, because I think you'd have done well this year. petition (But lordy am I glad I didn't go up there with you guys.) :P petition

Cinderella
03-09-2004, 08:49 PM
Congrats to everyone on their performances. I just wanted to add my get well wishes to Lisa and to send Mskater my condolences on his incident.

I'm new to adult competitions (my first is in 2 weeks), but just wanted to say you guys are an inspiration and you sure have got some guts!

P.S. Why do I have this strange desire to sign a petition ??? 8O

sk8er1964
03-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Personally, I feel that using the fill-up rule for adults is a wonderful idea. petition I'd be happy to join in any effort to bring this into effect for this year's AN. petition :D

jazzpants
03-09-2004, 09:54 PM
Hi mskater!

Sorry to hear about your blade! TOO WEIRD!!! So what kind of blade is it that would break like that? petition 8O (What was that?) petition (There it goes again!!!) :lol: Did you already book your hotel, airfare, etc for AN? If so, it would be a shame NOT to go to AN. petition 8O (Boy, I keep getting this NAGGING feeling someone should sign a petition to go to AN? Do you?) :lol: ;)

vesperholly
03-09-2004, 10:25 PM
:oops: Thanks for the compliment, mskater! Ah, 'dot'. I had a splendiferous time. Perhaps at Peach we can regale each other with tales of woe via Novice moves. A noble but masochistic cause. I agree with your assessment of manleywoman's skating. How you missed meeting her when Stormy and I introduced ourselves is beyond me! Plus, not all bad drama from 'lina - Amy Entwistle qualified in Masters with an excellent skate.

Also... I'm very confused, I appear to be holding a pen and making signing motions, anyone know why? :?: :D

LWalsh
03-10-2004, 08:34 AM
I with you guys - they should use the fill up rule. How do they determine who goes though if there are more entries than slots?

I think my friend is going to ask to be put in the proper event instead of championship. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they let him.

petition [SIZE=1]8O

dcden
03-10-2004, 09:24 AM
LWalsh, I'm assuming you mean the Master Novice event, which includes folks who've passed the Intermediate, Novice, or 3rd Figure test. My guess is that they will combine the age groups and just call it Master Novice Men, and that there'll be about 3-4 men in the event. But, wouldn't it be kinda neat to just stay in the Championship event? Just to be able to say you shared the ice with guys doing triples? Well, I hope things work out the way he wants them to; in any case, I hope he can skate in either event at Nationals, because it is a unique experience that all competing adult skaters should experience at least once.

Careygram
03-10-2004, 09:45 AM
After reading the posts here I see that my partner and I aren't/weren't the only ones who would have liked to see better requirements for adult nationals. We got to compete in pairs at EAstern sectionals because the rules were different for sectionals than for nationals. Go figure. I have my silver test, my partner has his bronze free and we have bronze pairs but for nationals the requirements were silver free for both OR juvenile pairs. Don't know why they have adult pairs tests if they won't use them for nationals requirements. I wrote to several people at USFSA and was kindly (sarcasm) informed that rules wouldn't be changed for "just two people". I'm thinking they would want to fill events for various situations (petition) but I guess I'm just one of two people (sarcasm). I guess we'll just have to keep at them until we see balanced rules eh? Good luck to everyone going to nationals. My partner and I are competing in singles but will be cheering for the pairs as well.

;) Debbie

flo
03-10-2004, 10:01 AM
The pairs rules were actually changed back to where they were several years ago. The pairs requirements for the last couple of years were the result of my contact with USFSA pairs and singles committee asking them to be changed for a local event, and were changed for "just two people" (I believe your current partner and his former partner) so they could compete. These modifications were mistakenly picked up by the Nationals committee, but recently corrected.
When I was involved with the adult pairs test proposals, I suggested that the competition and test requirements be submitted and activated at the same time. The committee thought it would be too difficult to do this and therefore only submitted the proposed test requirements, which were modified and approved a few years later. This combined with changes in the committees has resulted in having an adult track for pairs test requirements and the old requirements for competitions.
I have a silver pair test, silver fs test, and a juvenile pair test. I've competed at AN in Adult and Master's pairs.

Careygram
03-10-2004, 10:16 AM
I think you might be thinking of another pair. My partner and I have only been together a year and he only took his first test ever in November. We wanted to go to adult nationals so bad and when I was in Atlanta for nationals I talked to someone at the USFSA desk and she thought maybe the rules were outdated or misprinted. She agreed that it didn't make sense to have adult pairs tests if they weren't going to dictate the requirements for nationals. We just figured we'd ask and see what they said. My partner hasn't been skating that long and we're both new to pairs. After meeting and talking to the other pairs at Easterns we found out that they too had some issues with the rules. At this point we're just focusing on testing up to where we need to be so that we can compete in 2005.

flo
03-10-2004, 10:42 AM
Carey - It probably is another pair. The adult pair rules are very confusing. I think it's unreasonable to ask adults to take the adult pair tests when the AN requirements are not the same. This is one reason I'm not testing further until the test and event rules are settled. You may want to send your concerns/comments to teh adult chair and the singles and pair committee.

icechick
03-10-2004, 10:48 AM
I, also, contacted the USFSA regarding the discrepancy between the adult pairs' test structure and the requirements for competing at AN. I received a gracious reply, informing me that the issue would be addressed at the next Governing Council and a decision made at that time. Keep your fingers crossed!

vesperholly
03-10-2004, 11:49 AM
You might wish to contact Maggie Harding, the Adult Committee chair. I'm not sure if it's too late to get something going for this year's Governing Council or not, but she'd be the person to start with.

icechick
03-10-2004, 12:21 PM
That's who I contacted-- Maggie Harding.

manleywoman
03-10-2004, 07:25 PM
So how do we get a petition for altering the fill-up rule started?

manleywoman
03-10-2004, 07:27 PM
btw...does anyone have pairs results? The USFSA site does't list them and I have friends how are wanting to know. thanks

Terri C
03-11-2004, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by climbsk8
Hi Guys!

Anybody interested in Sweet Tea, Barbecue and Moonpies in the hospitality room?

Hey Lisa,
Maybe that can happen at the Central Carolina Classic next month, since there will be quite a few adults, there, including me!
My birthday is on Sunday, the day that the adult Freeslate events will be held!

dcden
03-11-2004, 08:51 AM
Hey y'all. I'm all in support of a competitive bid process for next year's Sectionals. Luv ya Syracuse, but it's time to change venue... no hard feelings. I've been skating for 5 seasons now and Easterns has in that time only been in Wilmington and Syracuse.

I've heard various rumors of clubs/areas interested in bidding, but we'll know more by late summer or fall.

I agree, the pair requirements are in need of restructuring but it's good that changes are on their way. Careygram, you and your partner are certainly Nationals worthy IMO. I also saw your partner in his freeskate, and he looks like he could easily pass silver FS as well. That would make the qualification issue moot for you. Good luck with your progress.

And, since the Central NY website hasn't posted the non-qual. results, what were the results for the pair event? Did anyone see men's interp? I'd be interested to know what Joe Decker did this year to follow up on his Carmen from last year.

vesperholly
03-11-2004, 09:07 AM
Nothing is specifically labeled, and not everything is up yet (I emailed and they said probably by Friday) but here are some awards photos and action photos from Saturday/NHL rink events:

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?EventFrame?event=006B00RT

climbsk8
03-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Terri C
Hey Lisa,
Maybe that can happen at the Central Carolina Classic next month, since there will be quite a few adults, there, including me!

Hi Terri C!

I'm so glad you're coming to our competition! It's HUGE this year...well over 500 starts, I think. There's a good showing of adults, too, which makes me especially happy.

I just withdrew from the Gold Ladies event...my knee is NOT going to be ready by then.

But I'm going to be there anyway. I own a video production company and we're the official event videographer for that competition. (I love mixing skating with my "day job.")

Please stop by our table when you get there and introduce yourself, OK? I will be the one with a knee brace who is hurling expletives at her new DVD burner....:D

Careygram
03-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Pairs results (since I was one of them)

1. Cooper and Jones
2. Carey and Mizerak
3. Cheng and Barry

We had a great time and I want to thank DcDen for all his nice words. We saw you skate too and I know you struggled a little bit but you have fine jumps and a wonderful presence. Keep skating...please.

Have a great one everyone, happy skating,
Debbie

manleywoman
03-13-2004, 01:04 PM
Photos are up:

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?EventFrame?event=006B00RX

Ugh...I look like a cow in every one. I swear I'm not that heavy in real life...it's like there's a funhouse lens on the camera. (or am I really thet heavy and just delusional?:oops: )

jazzpants
03-13-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by manleywoman
Ugh...I look like a cow in every one. I swear I'm not that heavy in real life...it's like there's a funhouse lens on the camera. (or am I really thet heavy and just delusional?:oops: ) Doncha just HATE that?!?!?! Even when I was a very skinny 125 a couple of years back, I had these big ol' thick thighs that make me looked totally FAT!!! However, in the podium shots, I looked pretty decent. I remember telling my coach I was gonna look at my video for the first time. He said "Be warned that you're gonna look like you're going REAL slow and that you've gained at least 10 lbs!" Sure enough! :roll: :evil: (I wonder what happened to the "Make me look slim" feature of the camera???) :lol: :twisted:

BTW: You looked "healthy and athletic" to me in those photos!!! You definitely don't have the "thick thighs" problems I had in my ol' photos.

jazzpants
03-13-2004, 03:12 PM
Here are the REST of the results!!! :mrgreen:

http://hometown.aol.com/newskates/results2004.html

Mrs Redboots
03-14-2004, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by manleywoman
Photos are up:

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?EventFrame?event=006B00RX

Ugh...I look like a cow in every one. I swear I'm not that heavy in real life...it's like there's a funhouse lens on the camera. (or am I really thet heavy and just delusional?:oops: ) If you think they make you look like a cow, imagine what photos of me look like! Actually, I thought that, except in the very first photo (which did catch you at an unfortunate angle), they made you look beautifully slim, and a wonderful skater!

flo
03-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Hi,
Anyone know the theme for the interpretive skater in the black and white jumpsuit? It looks like an interesting program.

skatingatty
03-15-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Terri C
Hey Lisa,

So, it'll be your birthday? I'll bring some cupcakes for us to eat-- after the competition, of course! I like the way they've left the adult events for the end of the event. It can be chaotic with lots of kids and their parents everywhere. See ya'll soon at the Central Carolina Classic!

Judy

climbsk8
03-21-2004, 02:39 PM
Hey guys, this is Lisa... a.k.a. the gimp.

I found out Friday that I don't have to have surgery on my knee! I started physical therapy yesterday, and I'm GOING TO LAKE PLACID!!!!!

I'm not sure yet what I'll be able to accomplish, but I'm looking forward to getting back on the ice this week and slowly rebuilding my muscles...

Does anyone out there have any ideas on how to disguise a huge, black, hinged bionic-woman-looking knee brace?

Debbie S
03-21-2004, 03:39 PM
Great news, Lisa! Good luck as you work toward ANs!

I injured my knee in October when falling directly on my kneecap during back crossovers and was in one of those braces for 2 weeks. Sorry, I don't have any fashion tips.

Be careful not to rush your recovery. I didn't do any jumps with my left leg for two weeks (although Thanksgiving was mixed in there and took away some of my practice times, so I may have jumped a bit sooner). My first practice back, I did only spirals and scratch spins (the only things that didn't involve bending or jumping - three turns on that leg were definitely out). Then, I was able to practice the loop because it was the only jump that only used my right leg. You'd think I'd have a better loop jump by now. :) Actually, I found that I really couldn't practice it, b/c my habit was to bend forward and 2-foot it, so I ended up needing to use my left leg anyway.

I know it's frustrating, but listen to the PT and come back slowly. Do the off-ice exercises they give you. By the time ANs come around, you'll be ready to kick butt! (I hope my coach doesn't mind me saying that, since she's in your group. :) )

jazzpants
03-21-2004, 03:39 PM
Lisa... that is wonderful news!!! 8-)

Don't push it too much! Don't do what I did with my recent leg injury and go back on the ice before you're ready. (I'm not gonna push mine either. I can only skate an hour at a time and I can't jump or spin yet.)

As for knee brace... how big are we talking? ;) Frankly I wouldn't bother hiding it! Who knows... you might score some sympathy points with the judges to boot too!!! ;) :lol:

FWIW, Joan Cristobal, back when she won her Jr. Nationals title, was wearing a knee sleeve underneath her tights. (If you still have the old Skating Magazine with her in it, look closely at her knee.) Sure enough, the next year when I saw her compete in person...there's the knee sleeve!!!

icedancer2
03-21-2004, 04:34 PM
FWIW at Synchro Nationals I saw someone in a full-length knee-brace right over suntan tights!! Startling at first, maybe, but the skating was just fine.

Don't rush things, like others have said, but if you have to skate in it, then so be it!!

Good luck! :bow:

skatingatty
03-21-2004, 04:47 PM
Yay, Lisa! That's great news! Maybe you could wear black tights to blend in w/the brace? Good luck skating again!

skaternum
03-21-2004, 06:24 PM
Hey guys, this is Lisa... a.k.a. the gimp.

Does anyone out there have any ideas on how to disguise a huge, black, hinged bionic-woman-looking knee brace?

Yay!! But I wouldn't worry about the big ol' knee brace. I saw several at the last AN I went to. I'd wear it as a badge of courage!

climbsk8
03-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Thanks for all of the encouragement...and suggestions. I forgot to mention that this particular knee brace has a big Duke University Sports Medicine logo on it....and I'm a TARHEEL! That's literally adding insult to injury, don't you think? I have to cover the logo up at the very least....

I wonder if it would fit under tights? that might be the best option. The velcro might be tricky... oh well.

Thanks again!

skaternum
03-22-2004, 10:12 AM
Speaking as a Tarheel, that Duke logo has GOT TO GO! :twisted:

dani
03-22-2004, 05:52 PM
Speaking as neither a tarheel or a whatever Duke is, I was wondering if you could paint a red circle around the logo and a diagonal line across it ;-)

Hugs!
Danielle